niacin---nicotinomide

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: niacin---nicotinomide

Post by Stavia »

Juliegee wrote:Huge thanks to you both. It's an intimidating beast. Who needs Kanji? :D
roflmao
Lucy5
Contributor
Contributor

Nicotinamide Riboside by Elysium

Post by Lucy5 »

I was wondering if anyone has looked into a product called Basis by Elysium? It contains Nicotinamide Riboside (discussed in this thread & possibly others) along with Pterostilbene. Leonard Guarante is the Lead Scientist for the company which also has an impressive Scientific Board of advisors.

What I find so tough is prioritizing which supplements have the best chance of making a difference. I mean, how many pills a day can you take?!? I have a core group I stick to and then tend to rotate in and out of others as I do my best trying to follow the research. I've recently added this one & would love to hear thoughts any of you might have about this supplement/the science behind it.

http://www.elysiumhealth.com/team
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Which ones do you take Lucy?
ApropoE4
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Nicotinamide Riboside by Elysium

Post by ApropoE4 »

Lucy5 wrote: Leonard Guarante is the Lead Scientist for the company which also has an impressive Scientific Board of advisors.
Wasn't Guarente previously behind the red wine / sirtuin life extension scam?
Lucy5
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lucy5 »

Stavia wrote:Which ones do you take Lucy?
Hi Stavia!

Sorry this is so long...hoping you're not sorry you asked! But thank you SO much for asking in spite of all that is going on in your life. You are amazing.

Here goes...
Because I'm homozygous for MTHFR, I take methylated folate 800 mcg, methylcobalamin 1000mcg, B6 25mg and B2 50mg. Also estradiol .05 patch and cycled prometrium 200mg quarterly

In addition daily:
Longvida 400mg x 2
Cocoavia 450 x 2
Mag L-threonate 144mg x 1-2
Ashwagandha 300mg x 2
D3 1000 - 2000 IU
Resveratrol 100mg
melatonin 5mg TR nightly
Nicotinamide Riboside 125 mg w/pterostilbene 25mg x2 (by Elysium)
DHA: 1 gm/day (w associated smaller amounts of EPA)
CoQ10 50mg x 2
Multivitamin: (Metagenics brand Phytomulti) 1 tablet a few times/week
aspirin or ibuprofen most days

My biggest problems are consistently elevated hsCRP, (ranging from 3.0-4.3 mg/L), higher normal Homocysteine (despite supplementation) and high LDL-P. On the good side, very high, good quality HDL-C (90-100 mg/dl), Apo-A-I at 180 and Lp-PLA at 158 & excellent blood pressure.
Lucy5
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Nicotinamide Riboside by Elysium

Post by Lucy5 »

ApropoE4 wrote:
Lucy5 wrote: Leonard Guarante is the Lead Scientist for the company which also has an impressive Scientific Board of advisors.
Wasn't Guarente previously behind the red wine / sirtuin life extension scam?

Believe we are talking about the same gentleman; he's currently the Director of the lab for The Science of Aging at MIT and earlier discovered that SIR2 is a key regulator of longevity in both yeast and worms. There are other respected voices who are pretty excited about NAD replacement. Nir Barzilai, director of the Institute for Aging Research at Albert Einstein College in NYC is one. Others are skeptical as we all should be. Brian Kennedy at Buck thinks there's enough evidence to be "excited", but that at this point it's not compelling evidence.

Honestly, Apropo, my view as a 4/4 is that there's just no way to know if lifestyle changes (the epigenetics argument) will stretch out the runway long enough to outrun LOAD, especially at my age. I was born a realist, unfortunately. So, I continue to watch for what are more-than-likely long shot silver bullets that just might make a difference. If the supplement is at worst harmless, I say "why not"?
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Thanks Lucy.
I'm on some of those.
The same dose of curcumin, cocoavia.
B vits same as you (got my homocysteine from 10 to 7)
More D3 (4000IU)
Same DHA around a gram.
I've just dropped my oestradiol patch to 25mcg. Feel less tired actually on lower dose. About to hopefully get a Mirena. Dont do well on progesterone.
Why such a high dose of melatonin? I take 0.5mg nocte.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Just curious if there's a study to suggest 800 mg of curcumin is a good target? I've been taking 400 and wondering if I should up it.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

As far as I know Circ there is no robust data. Its just two capsules that I split over the day cos if I take both together I get heartburn
Lucy5
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lucy5 »

Stavia wrote:Thanks Lucy.
I'm on some of those.
The same dose of curcumin, cocoavia.
B vits same as you (got my homocysteine from 10 to 7)
More D3 (4000IU)
Same DHA around a gram.
I've just dropped my oestradiol patch to 25mcg. Feel less tired actually on lower dose. About to hopefully get a Mirena. Dont do well on progesterone.
Why such a high dose of melatonin? I take 0.5mg nocte.
I was looking for a Time Release melatonin (tend to wake up middle of the nite) & 5 mags was the lowest dose I could find.