Alzheimers Activism For Larger Share of Research $$

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Fc1345linville
Contributor
Contributor

Alzheimers Activism For Larger Share of Research $$

Postby Fc1345linville » Thu May 28, 2015 5:19 am

In today's Washington Post:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/mor ... story.html

Activism works. If Mr. Ellenbogen had not suggested the sad possibility of a dementia patient becoming a "Columbine copycat", the article would probably not been written or published. So, by merely mentioning such a possibility, Ellenbogen is considered a security threat by the Alzheimer's Association and the national Advisory Council on Alzheimer's Research. I personally applaud his remarks.

SusanJ
Mod
Mod

Re: Alzheimers Activism For Larger Share of Research $$

Postby SusanJ » Fri May 29, 2015 7:48 am

Wow, is about all I can say. Appalling really.

And the Alzheimer's Association backing away from him - now there is a missed teachable moment for them to say, yep, it's frustrating, sometimes people with AD say uncomfortable things, but its a reality of a very serious, frustrating disease that currently has no cure!!!

Here's the contact page for the Association if you want to put in two cents on their decision.

http://www.alz.org/contact_us_contact_us.asp

I would suggest the advocacy/policy link: advocate@alz.org

Fc1345linville
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Alzheimers Activism For Larger Share of Research $$

Postby Fc1345linville » Fri May 29, 2015 9:59 am

Thanks for the additional info, SusanJ! I sent off an email this AM to the advocacy/policy link: advocate@alz.org, sugesting the position they have (apparently) taken on Mr. Ellenbogen's critical comments is not in line with their own Mission statement.

Return to “Prevention and Treatment”