Brain Donation?

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Andrew S
Contributor
Contributor

Brain Donation?

Post by Andrew S »

Hello all. I've been lurking here for a while, although I don't know what my genetic makeup is. What I do know is that early onset AD runs in my family. I realize that's not what this site is about, but I don't know of a better resource for AD information. My grandfather passed from it at age 52, my uncle at 65, and my mom started symptoms at 64. I'm posting today with a question: a couple days ago, my mom passed of an something unrelated to AD, and I am wondering if there is someone I should call about tissue donation? She was stage 3 or 4, and I'm guessing they don't get a lot of tissues from brains in the middle stages. We are awaiting an autopsy, so we may have a window of opportunity to help the fight somehow.

Thank you for entertaining my random and morbid query. I just thought if anyone would know, they'd be here.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: Brain Donation?

Post by Julie G »

Andrew, so sorry about your Mom, my friend. How noble of you to be thinking altruistically in terms of brain donation. Kitano or Starfish MAY know more about this. This topic came up at our recent SFO meet-up. Dr. Rao at The Buck also had some recommendations, but I can't recall specifics. I'm hopeful someone will chime in quickly...

My condolences to you and your family. Even though your etiology may be somewhat different, there is certainly enough significant overlap for you to participate here. You are most welcome.
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by KatieS »

Andrew, this is a difficult period after with your mom's death and recognizing your family history. You must be relatively young, so finding out your genetics only will spur you on for more prevention. To be able to know early on the risks, you can alter the course of amyloid creating tangles , stimulating inflammation and/or other theories of AD being a systemic disease starting with insulin resistance. It's only decades later AD. This forum provides a supportive platform to learn prevention and continue with motivation on these lifestyle strategies.

As to brain donation, I would recommend emailing/calling the closest medical center's AD research number. The closest one for me would be Stanford, but they want to study my mom while she is still alive and did not answer how to donate her brain. You might consider saving a DNA sample to compare with yours, should you later decide to test your genes.
Russ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Russ »

Andrew,

It may already be too late to help, but when my father finally passed away, I arranged to have his brain donated to a special brain unit at the Mayo Clinic. My contact was Beth Marten... marten.beth@mayo.edu.. If there's still time, they can work with Drs at the hospital for preparation and handling.

Russ
Russ
E3/4
Eat whole, real, flavorful food - fresh and in season... and mix it up once in a while.
rrao2015
Contributor
Contributor

Post by rrao2015 »

Andrew S wrote:Hello all. I've been lurking here for a while, although I don't know what my genetic makeup is. What I do know is that early onset AD runs in my family. I realize that's not what this site is about, but I don't know of a better resource for AD information. My grandfather passed from it at age 52, my uncle at 65, and my mom started symptoms at 64. I'm posting today with a question: a couple days ago, my mom passed of an something unrelated to AD, and I am wondering if there is someone I should call about tissue donation? She was stage 3 or 4, and I'm guessing they don't get a lot of tissues from brains in the middle stages. We are awaiting an autopsy, so we may have a window of opportunity to help the fight somehow.

Thank you for entertaining my random and morbid query. I just thought if anyone would know, they'd be here.

Sorry to hear about your dad and now your mother. And appreciate your noble intentions. Call this Hotline, they will refer you to the nearest center. 24-hr Helpline: 1.800.272.3900 Email: helpline@alznyc.org