Radio Frequency Exposures

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Radio Frequency Exposures

Post by circular »

This resource, recently posted by ktg000, suggests a link between low EMF exposure and melatonin possibly influencing Alzheimer's risk. I haven't had time to dig in or look at the studies cited. There's more to the section than this:

"...this evidence is suggestive that extremely low frequency magnetic fields could potentially increase risk for Alzheimer’s disease by reducing
brain levels of neuroprotective melatonin"

The section begins on page 131 ...

http://www.healthandenvironment.org/?mo ... fileId=973
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
ApropoE4
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ApropoE4 »

circular wrote:Theoretically, RF frequencies of household products could be having an effect that's never been studied for, or could be contributing, in some way we're not aware of, to conditions we believe have other causes. I think the WHO said, based on their review, we just don't know yet, but I'd have to go find that again and I'm barely awake. Will try to do so.
Again, the size of the group is so large that even minute effects on gliomas (if they even hold up) are detectable - we are talking about one in 100,000 people! so any impact would have been known by now.

Of course it's funny to see how once you call something "radiation", people react to it as if you'd told them there's DHMO coming out of their tap:

http://www.dhmo.org/facts.html

Why aren't you worried about your gas oven irradiating your food with heat, or your brain irradiating itself with very low frequency electrical signals? Or every muscle in your body irradiating itself with complex chemically produced radiation, or the traffic light irradiating you with the most dangerous kind of photons - Green!
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

The same was probably once said about asbestos, lead and DDT which were all used without care for years. Not saying you're not correct in this case. I have no idea. I'd say I wonder about this one more than I worry about it. I'm also quite intrigued by anything having to do with wavelengths, so I just find it interesting.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Apropo thats hilarious. The dude has even made an opposing organisation.

And Circ yes re asbestos, but sometimes people in academia are desperate to publish anything. I agree with Apropo - by now we would have known if there was a significantly increased risk. Imo its a rabbit hole honey.
Gilgamesh
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gilgamesh »

After a quick look through --

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=emf+melatonin

(and related)

-- I concluded what I concluded several years ago: I wouldn't want to sleep next to my non-airplane-moded cellphone, nor within a few meters of a wireless router. But it's a pretty weak "wouldn't want".

GB
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

There's a new paper on Wi-Fi that critiques the reviews alleging there are no adverse health effects.

Wi-Fi is an important threat to human health

Glancing at this old thread I realize I've since bought a new iPhone and completely forgot about the notion of using an EMF shield. It looks like there's a new company called Defender Shield that, if they're to be believed, is good.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Good find, Circ. I use SafeSleeve. When shut, it’s supposed to block 100% unlike my old Pong case.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

I ended up with SafeSleeve too. I love that thing. Somehow since I can close it up I find I use the phone less :) I'll think of you as I SafeSleeve my way through the world 8-)
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Out of curiosity, I bought a meter that measures RF, magnetic and electrical fields. Found the inverse squared distance signal decrease makes a huge difference. I now keep my phone in airplane mode most of the time when it is on me. This benefits me in other ways as I get few distractions. If somebody wants me, they can leave a message or the text will show up when I turn the airplane mode off. Much more productive this way.

Measured RF at my office. Pretty high and I could not figure out where it was coming from. Walked outside and the signal got stronger. Looked up and saw a bunch of cell transmitter antennas on the roof (5th floor) of the apartment building next door. Had a colleague who had lived on the 4th floor. I told him what I found. He said that yes he'd noticed various physical issues that appeared right after he moved in. After several weeks he went to visit his family overseas, in a rural village. Everything cleared up. The symptoms came back when he returned. This was repeated several times over a number of years. Then he recently moved away from that building and everything cleared up again.

Have a family member with a glioblastoma. Our integrative oncologist told us the number one cancer under 30 is now brain cancer.

None of this proves causation, but I found with a little work, I could dramatically reduce my exposure, so why not while the data are being generated and sorted? I bring net to the computer with wires instead of wifi. Phone is never on in bedroom. Wifi can be turned off at night.
Tincup
E3,E4
Cat111
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Cat111 »

Looking for any EMF phone protector... any recommendations. Thank you.
Cat111
ApoE 4/4