CR vs. dietary cholesterol vs. dietary fats

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Xabi
Contributor
Contributor

Re: CR vs. dietary cholesterol vs. dietary fats

Post by Xabi »

CR, PR and METR could be very useful to prevent/delay ALZ?

Low-Protein Diet Slows Alzheimer's in Mice

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 111610.htm

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 121456.htm
Gilgamesh
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gilgamesh »

SpunkyPup wrote:People on CR end up gorging on junk carbs which is a sign of failure of the diet.
Incorrect, just for the record.

GB
Gilgamesh
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gilgamesh »

Xabi [Edit. I wrote "James" before -- sorry! Was confused about who wrote what. And no, you, Xabi, probably haven't seen the old debates. :) Sorry. MCI setting in already at the tender age of 50?], you've probably seen the old debates on the CR Society list about protein and methionine restriction. Apparently, many of the early studies couldn't rule out that there was, in effect, also a reduction in energy intake. But I'd have to go back to my notes or the archives to doublecheck.

I eat a very legume (pulse) heavy diet in part because I don't want to consume a lot of methionine, but this is mostly because of my homocysteine level, which is around 8-9 μmol/L -- fine, most people would say, but on my level of CR, it should be much lower. I'm assuming it's my MTHFR mutations (my version of the enzyme works at around 70% efficiency). I'd like to get my homocysteine level down to 5-6, but it's just not happening. I don't think I should take my CR to a more extreme level. I'm already practicing "Edge CR", as we call it. I might try quitting coffee....

GB
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Nice, Xabi- thanks for sharing. Protein is the one macronutrient I struggle to get enough of...might serve me well :D

Re. Michael's lipids, I am struck by the steady improvement. Congrats.
Starfish77
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Starfish77 »

What does "calorie restriction" mean for a person of normal weight? Does it mean eating to loose weight to have an even lower BMI or something else?
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Hey Starfish, there are lots of more knowledgeable folks than me about this...but you basically have the idea. CR is simply eating less and ultimately does lead to weight loss. I'm borderline normal/underweight and am very careful to maintain to manage my health. Google "caloric restriction & Alzheimer's" to learn more.