Medical Personnel Alerts for ApoE4

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Medical Personnel Alerts for ApoE4

Post by circular »

I'm thinking about ways to have on-hand medical information in the event of an emergency, things we may even need to remind ourselves of and that we want our medical team to know. While some procedures may be unavoidable, especially in an emergency, I thought of the MRI contrast dye warning (http://goo.gl/7C73Ws) and surgery/hospitalization tips for E4s (http://goo.gl/zlwKdrf) threads in particular.

We might each include different things depending on what personally concerns us and other conditions we have, but what methods do we have available for customized on tap medical warnings?

Would be a good idea to use multiple approaches.

Any of these might include a web address to an online document or personal medical record (PMR) with detailed information (you could even put a tiny URL on a medical bracelet I would think?), but the main points should probably be on our person.

Wallet Cards

The traditional approach. I wonder if all medical personnel automatically look for these.

You could probably make one of these and laminate it at an office supply store.

Smart Phone Apps

These are only useful if medical personnel check for them. I'm not sure if they are regularly doing so now. One's with a high degree of recognition will be best. Some, like iPhone's Health app, will provide access to your "Medical Card" via icon that bypasses lock screen. If not using a lock screen bypass, these should be placed prominently on your home screen, probably in the upper left corner.

iPhone
  • Health - While the Health app overall still has a lot of limitations, the "Medical Card" feature is good. So far is has not cut off the info I added for space. It is also accessible to medical personnel by icon bypassing the lock screen.
Android
  • Examples?
Custom Medical Bracelets
  • Provider Names with advantages and disadvantages
Keychain Thumb Drives

A major disadvantage relying on these is many health networks will not use because they're afraid of introducing a virus into their computer.

E4 Medical Concerns that One Might Include
  • AVOID gadolinium MRI contrast dyes
  • AVOID inhaled general anesthesia, USE intravenous e.g. Propofol
Any ideas? I'll edit this post.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
LA18
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Medical Personnel Alerts for ApoE4

Post by LA18 »

I was thinking that some of us might also want to have a list of do's and don’ts pertaining to head injuries, so that we have this information readily available should we need it. Is there anything that could help minimize the long-term impact given our vulnerability?

I’ve gone through various sources and see that this is addressed at a general level in Amen and Shankle’s book on preventing AD. Their recommendations are pretty basic, anti-inflammatory drugs and cognitive exercises. I thought I had a source that provided some more detailed suggestions, but I am not able to locate that. I know I saw this somewhere.....