Is AD Normal Brain Aging Occurring Early?

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Is AD Normal Brain Aging Occurring Early?

Post by circular »

I keep seeing contradictory statements about this, either that AD is not normal aging, or it is normal aging but occurs earlier and more severely in some than others.

Is it true there are aging brains that don't exhibit any of the same pathologies while still being cognitively sound? Has anyone imaged lots of aging brains and looked at biomarkers in cognitively intact people in their 90s, 100s, to see what they look like?

I've had a book on my shelf, The Myth of Alzheimer's, for some years. I read much of it and will probably re-read. He's wasn't saying the experience of it isn't real, but that it's been framed as a disease different from the aging process by the power structures behind it. *Don't quote me on that! It's been a while since I read it.* Two people I know who are both very familiar with issues of aging through their work were aghast at this notion. Me, being open to new ways of looking at things got irritated with their closed minds. Not that I have the answer.

If I had to guess without thinking it all through from every which-way, I'd say it possibly is not normal in non-developed tribal communities, but is normal aging in environments full of garbage at every turn.

Thoughts?
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
J11
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Is AD Normal Brain Aging Occurring Early?

Post by J11 »

Makes you wonder about our modern environment and dementia risk.
{I also posted this comment to the Muses Labs thread below}.
Perhaps modern living is giving more people dementia.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... al-disease
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

I saw that. I really believe that may be true, in spite of a post I just made in the Seneff thread about how I don't have strong beliefs :lol: Paradox rules!

It's impossible to know what we are missing in the developed world, unless you make a complete break and experience extreme departure from it in some form for long enough to get a glimpse of what it meant to live one with nature before all the accoutrements.
J11
Contributor
Contributor

Post by J11 »

It is the old problem that there has not been a single controlled change in the way people have lived in the last 100 years, everything has changed! There are so many variables involved that it is almost impossible to determine cause and effect. It took almost 50 years to make
a conclusive link between smoking and health problems. Whoever is making the cigarettes that are causing the dementia epidemic know full
well that it will be almost impossible to ever sort things out. Life is not a controlled randomized experiment!

I have a certain inclination to the aluminum hypothesis. Aluminum is a known neuro-toxin. Before the industrialized age humans had had virtually no exposure to it. Before the age of aluminum dementia incidence was low: Now it is everywhere. No controlled studies were ever done to determine the safety of aluminum. In the 1980s researchers found that children on dialysis developed dementia because of ... the minute amounts of aluminum in the drinking water. I guess that puts me in the tin hat club ... make that the non-aluminum tin hat club.

Perhaps we should select a group of people to live somewhere in a technologically static environment to see what there risk of dementia was.
Sort of like a controlled experiment. No TV, no computer, no fast food, mandatory calisthenics, plenty of fresh air and sunshine, a mandatory curfew. Not for me though. Anyone interested in signing up?
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Haha im hanging with civilization too ;-) When I find an antiperspirant without aluminum that works then I can afford to think it contributes to AD. Until then I'm in denial following the party line that they ruled it out. (Any tips?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
J11
Contributor
Contributor

Post by J11 »

I am just amazed that when aluminum was first produced it cost more than gold!

It is the old story known throughout human history: Metals are neurotoxic.

If you need proof just drip some metals into your computer chip!
You wouldn't do that to your computer, don't do that to your brain!

You don't need a particularly advanced technological society to create widespread dementing illness: You just need metals!
Dementing illness was achieved thousands of years ago with lead, mercury ...
We have just added to list with aluminum, now copper.
All produced on a truly massive scale.
Human progress has simply meant that we can produce an abundance of all the things that are bad for us.

Of course none of this is really completely provable, merely suspected.
By the time it is we'll all have taken up the fiddle!
jenniferthequeen
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jenniferthequeen »

Hello... I am a 54 y/o 4/4 female in the US.

You all are light years ahead of me with all this, so I am hoping you can help me with a simple question. What are your thoughts on drinking from lined aluminum cans? I drink a lot of seltzer and am wondering if this is unwise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: RE: Re: Is AD Normal Brain Aging Occurring Early?

Post by Stavia »

jenniferthequeen wrote:Hello... I am a 54 y/o 4/4 female in the US.

You all are light years ahead of me with all this, so I am hoping you can help me with a simple question. What are your thoughts on drinking from lined aluminum cans? I drink a lot of seltzer and am wondering if this is unwise.

Hi honey, welcome.
I personally only drink out of glass bottles, only extremely occasionally a can. I don't know details but thingies leach out of the lining of cans and get into the liquid. There isn't any hard evidence that it causes AD, but I feel I'd rather be careful.
J11
Contributor
Contributor

Post by J11 »

No, don't worry about being behind the rest of us.
The only reason we are light years ahead is we have been at this for years!

We are the smartest kids in kindergarten.
You'll catch up in no time.
We have spent most of the time searching through blind alleys.

Things are finally picking up steam and we are excited.
We could have answers over the next several months about methylene blue
and full genome prices appear ready to fall further.

Stay tuned!
jenniferthequeen
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jenniferthequeen »

Thanks to both of you.

After my father died in 2012 and his autopsy at a local university memory clinic confirmed that the dementia he suffered was AD, I went the 23andme route to find I am 4/4. Two of my male siblings were tested as well and they proved to carry only one copy of the apoe4 variant.

I will look onto the methylene blue topic on the board to seen what that means!

For my part - I find I am unable to follow a diet with strict ratios of carbs to fats to protiens. It's against my nature and I fear it may be to my detriment. Having a nasty case of osteo in my hands, I follow a lot of Dr. Weil's advice, eating in an anti-inflammatory manner.

I eat a mostly vegetarian organic whole food diet that includes a lot of greens, beans, fruits (frozen berries are a great convenience) and nuts and homemade nut butters. I do not drink alcohol, but I do consume liberal amounts of morning coffee with unsweetened organic almond milk and as mentioned before, the dreaded canned selzer. I do stay away from wheat and GMOs.

For supplements I take a daily dose of Longvida curcumin, ashwagnda (sp) root, cod liver oil, and greens. I also take melatonin at night and sleep like a baby.

I want to thank you all for putting this board together. I've read Stavia's "beginners" contribution and have to say it was written in a manner that a lay person like me can - for the most part - understand. I want to get one of my apoe4 brothers on board (pun) as he's a physician and would be a nice additional medical resource for us.

Well, I've hijacked this conversation for long enough. Thank you for being leaders for us as we soldier thru this.