Low Fat vs. Low Carb

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Harrison
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Low Fat vs. Low Carb

Postby Harrison » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:21 am

Juliegee wrote:LOL, I thought lower fat drove down HDL particle size :shock: Your linked study is a surprise. I'd love to see full-text to see if there is an obvious explanation.

This Table 3 from the paper:
table3.jpg

Subjects were caucasian women 55-65, weight stable, BMI average of 32, sedentary (<20 min exercise twice a week), non-smoking, not on medication, no CHD, diabetes, cancer, liver, renal, or hematologic disease, or other medical disorders. In other words, the healthiest over-weight inactive people they could find. ApoE3/4 n=18, ApoE2/3 or ApoE3/3 n=61.

All women underwent baseline testing before meeting in a weekly group session with a registered dietitian for 10 weeks of instruction in the principles of the AHA Step 1 diet. This diet was composed of 50% to 55% carbohydrate, 15% to 20% protein, 20 to 30 g of fiber and less than 30% fat with less than 300 mg/d cholesterol and 3 g/d sodium. The women were asked to remain sedentary and weight stable and to follow this diet throughout the 10 weeks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Julie G
Mod
Mod

Postby Julie G » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:19 pm

Thanks for that insight, Harrison. I'm intrigued. We're presuming the women were on a SAD diet before switching to a much healthier one- the AHA/Step 1. They showed a slight decrease in HDL-C, but the conversion seemed to have moved from smaller HDL particles to larger particles...very interesting. I would like to have seen an E4+ dataset try a healthful HFLC diet as well for comparison purposes. It also would have been interesting to have started with a group demonstrating some metabolic derrangement.

Stavia, last paper??? I'm very sad, but also extraordinarily grateful for your generosity. Here is G's link. It's an old one, but I can't find full-text: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12077730

Stavia
Mod
Mod

Postby Stavia » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:29 pm

Juliegee wrote:
Stavia, last paper??? I'm very sad, but also extraordinarily grateful for your generosity. Here is G's link. It's an old one, but I can't find full-text: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12077730

sorry honey, access closed off. Can't get papers anymore. Couldn't get this one.
You could ask Richard?

RichardS
Contributor
Contributor

Postby RichardS » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:15 pm

got it
Effects of apolipoprotein E genotype on dietary-induced changes in high-density lipoprotein cholesterol in obese postmenopausal women. (Nicklas et al 2002).pdf

Moderator note - I deleted the attached paper (PMID: 12077730) because our copyright infringement policy prohibits it. Members in jurisdictions for which access to Sci-Hub is legal may want to search for the paper there.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Julie G
Mod
Mod

Postby Julie G » Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:20 pm

Thank you, Richard. I look forward to it!

Return to “Prevention and Treatment”