Diet Discussion

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
SpunkyPup
Contributor
Contributor

Diet Discussion

Post by SpunkyPup »

I came upon this while looking for this forum page.

these posters seem well informed and have done some experimenting. What they call vegan is really more vegetable consumption which is emphasized in all tradition and Paleo diets but is rarely understood but it is mentioned by many proponents. My present thinking is shifting in this direction.
AA arachidonic acid does travel with saturated fat and protein sources so we often have the association with red meat which is a higher source.

http://www.longecity.org/forum/topic/58 ... poprofile/
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: Diet Discussion

Post by Julie G »

Hey Spunky, Yeah,James is amazing; he's a member here. Most of us are aware of his experiment and have been chatting about it. I just got to see some of your NMR results courtesy of Mark's chart on a different thread: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=159 I'm beyond impressed and would be hard pressed to change a thing :D Congrats. I want to hear more of YOUR secrets.
Starfish77
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Starfish77 »

@Spunky
Thanks for the link http://www.longecity.org/forum/topic/58 ... poprofile/
As a Newbie, i really appreciate having all that information in one spot. I've spent this evening going over it.
I learned so much, in spite of being somewhat intimidated by some of the more scientific parts. I feel a little
more equipped to keep up with the posts on the diet part of this forum now.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Lately I've been thinking that a logical case can be made for, speaking in general terms, vegan, Mediterranean and Paleo. I am thinking maybe this macronutrient balance is a bit of a red herring, *in general*, while one diet might lead to better blood results than another for each individual. Fats lead to oxidation. Carbs lead to oxidation. Living leads to oxidation. Maybe the *real* issue boils down to antioxidant load to handle what*ever* diet you choose. The book Eating on the Wild Side is such an eye opener as to the huge loss in antioxidants in our diets irrespective of macronutrient balance. Maybe antioxidant loss is a bigger driver of disease than macronutrient breakdowns and a little too much of this or that. I'm speaking in general terms. The the more we can follow the tips in Robinson's book, the fewer supplemental antioxidants we need. Theorizing ...
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

JUST ORDERED. Thanks for the reminder :D

I agree with your summation on diet, Circ. IMHO, those three show lots of promise. Take the carbs out of the Mediterranean (and NEVER cook with EVOO.) Watch out for too much SFA in the Paleo. And, be sure to get plenty of plant-based fats on the Vegan... and feel free to cheat now and then with some Omega-3 rich proteins. My tips for perfect health; the "Gospel" according to Juliegee :lol:

My favorite line: "LIFE LEADS TO OXIDATION." Seriously, explain to me how fats lead to oxidation. Some ARE easily oxidized. Is that what you mean?
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Yep, just mean those that are easily oxidized. Are SFA also eventually oxidized?

Why take the carbs out of Mediterranean? I'm suggesting that low glycemic load carbs, as unprocessed as possible, and *selected and processed to maximize their antioxidant content* may be fine in larger amounts (not large, just not necessarily sparing), in spite of the carbs cause oxidation problem. An example: cooked blueberries have more antioxidants than uncooked (it will be in the book). Concord grapes, even though a relatively modern "invention" are very high in antioxidants. Chopping romaine lettuce the day before using it will raise the antioxidant content. Perhaps when selected and prepared to maximize antioxidants the antioxidants in the carb offset the oxidization caused by carb burning for energy. Maybe we don't *need* to be super low carb if we do carbs the high antioxidant way. Maybe the problem was never carbs, but the diminution of their antioxidant deliver to offset their weaknesses. So I'm thinking keep the carbs in Mediterranean, but ditch all the modern low antioxidant carb options. See the difference? I don't know if it's right, just something I'm thinking about.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Yeah, I was clear as mud :lol: Sorry, I totally agree. I meant remove the whole grain pasta and bread, but most certainly KEEP the veg and fruit. For 4/4 me, that's still going to be low, below 75 grams a day. BUT as long as that's not starchy stuff, that's still a TON of veg and fruit- pretty much all I eat besides small protein servings.

Your teaser has me so excited for the book. THIS is the fine tuning we should all be doing. Thanks!
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

We're pretty much on the same page, but I am for now keeping the complex carbs in the form of whole grains and some legumes (not breads or pasta) as well. I do go back and forth on all this. I was paleo for a while. One thing for me with paleo is I just am sooooo hungry. They say that's because I do it "wrong" and need to eat more fat, but that's even when eating a lot of fat, and for the reasons we know I don't want to overload my system with it. So as a 3/4 I'm finding I think I need more of these grain/legume carbs in moderation, in addition to the veggies and fruit. I mean I will wake in the middle of the night starving without the grains, after eating dinner *and* something significant before bed. Even sometimes with the added carbs I wake up hungry, but it's not as bad. And protein loading makes no difference. It's a calorie thing. 119 lbs, 5'6".

I haven't read much of the book yet, just dip in here and there. It's good for that if you have a lot else going on.
Ski
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Ski »

Julie
I don't know how you keep carbs under 80 and small portions of protein and maintain ur calories. If I try and keep my carbs under 120 I have to eat loads of protein. Granted I'm eating pretty lowish fat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ski
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Ski »

Julie
I don't know how you keep carbs under 80 and small portions of protein and maintain ur calories. If I try and keep my carbs under 120 I have to eat loads of protein. Granted I'm eating pretty lowish fat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk