Ideal post-menopausal estrogen level?

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: Ideal post-menopausal estrogen level?

Post by Julie G »

Silver, I'm so happy you got your levels up. From experience, I KNOW how much better that feels. It's very interesting to learn how temps from hot baths and showers can affect release of estradiol- new to me. Your management strategy is beyond creative, LOL. I may be copying soon ;)

Are you supplementing progesterone? Your level is actually great. I'm just learning that progesterone is a precursor to allogregnanolone which aids in cholesterol and abeta clearance. My level is 6.1 and I'm thrilled. Truly happy for you. XO
Silverlining
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Silverlining »

Thanks guys! Yes, I do feel much better.

Re: George and Stavia posts, the Serum T went from 7 to 15 in these 6 weeks, but my Free T only went from .8 to .9. Also, I tested DHEA-S. Unfortunately, it's always been on the very low end and falling in recent years. I started supplementing with oral crystalline DHEA 25mg about a year ago. My level last summer was 57, in January 61 and last week it was at 65 (the range is 41.2-243.7 ug/dl). I would like to see what happens if I get it up in the 80's or 90's. (Anyone have an opinion on optimal DHEA-S level?). I've just ordered micronized DHEA 10mg. I'm definitely wary of DHEA supplementation as I guess we can't be sure what it converts to in each individual? I think I'll wait a few more weeks on my current regimen, then order another lab to make sure my hormones have reached their maximum levels with the new estradiol patch. After that, I'll start with the micronized DHEA. This means I'll have to continue ordering the labs that test all of the hormones I've been looking at to try and determine what effect raising DHEA-S has. I've been using Life Extension female hormone panel...at $75; it's a decent value for Testosterone (free and Total), DHEA-S, Estradiol and Progesterone.

Julie, yes, I'm taking oral progesterone 100mg at night and I am sleeping fairly deeply again for the first time in 6 years...It's awesome!

(One last note on covering the estradiol patch with tegaderm to stay dry during baths/showers. I cut a small piece of paper towel the size of my patch and put it on the sticky tegaderm film first. Then I carefully place the tegaderm film over the estradiol patch with the paper towel cutout covering the patch. The reason for this is if the tegaderm film touches the patch, it adheres to the patch and will not come off. With this routine, I can quickly and easily cover patch, bathe, then remove tegaderm afterwards. I buy 100 pieces of tegaderm film for $22.49 and I've also purchased PDI adhesive tape remover pads, 100 for $6.49. These little pads remove the sticky residue left behind when you change your patch. This system works beautifully and I'm 100% satisfied with it. And yes, soon you might see me on late night TV... "this too can be yours at home for only $9.99 plus $49..99 S&H"...:lol: ).
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Silver why you changing your tegaderm? Its designed to stay on. Its waterproof. Mine stays on the whole 3 1/2 days. When we put it on a burn we leave it directly on the raw flesh 10 days and it stays on fine.
This is day 3.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

As you can see slightly grubby on the edges but its just lint from my jeans. I use makeup remover for the sticky residue
Silverlining
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Silverlining »

S, I don't like the bigger "footprint" of the tegaderm over the patch. Yeah, the lint outline is a bummer; it took me a few days and a lot of dismay to realize it was lint and not "dirt" :lol: .
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Aha I see. I just slap it all on and forget it.
But then you have a gorgeous slim tummy. Mine is all stretched and floppy and I don't care any more lol.
Silverlining
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Silverlining »

S, let's not talk about body parts lest I get whipped up in a wave of envy that I don't have your gorgeous sea blue eyes! Plus I keep it on my backside; they (hyster sisters that is!) say you get 20% more absorption...
Silverlining
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Silverlining »

Latest update on my patch journey: Brief recap....I hit menopause last August when I turned 51 years.... 5 months on compounding cream during the Fall of 2015 resulted in declining estradiol levels until it hit undetectable. Began estradiol patch/oral progesterone Feb 2016....testing after 6 weeks revealed estradiol climbed to 36.2, after 12 weeks most recent level is 108 :o . I feel really really good, seriously, sleep is amazing, ZERO hot flashes, libido up, elevated mood, maybe incrementally less joint pain, no brain fog; I have gained five pounds in the hip/breast area (baby prep areas!), so I recognize it's like I've turned the clock back 15 years lol. I keep the patch on my rump where most of my fat is and it's obviously very effective at raising E2 levels. The question now is do I stay here? It's soooo nice to feel better in every way, BUT there's the ugly "C" word floating in the background. I've looked around the net and 108 doesn't seem horrible for postmenopausal, but is higher than what Bredesen recommends (80)....comments?
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by KatieS »

Silver, what progesterone are you using? Are you having any spotting or breast tenderness? As to the "C" be sure to have your mammograms and consider a uterine ultrasound if you are on a low-dose progesterone. Now that I'm in my 60s, my estrogen patch is has been cut in half so that I do not have to take progesterone as confirmed by uterine ultrasound. Ny doctor will not prescribe progesterone at my age due to breast cancer concerns. However, he still prescribes the full estrogen patch for my 98 y/o mom as she had a total hysterectomy at age 58 due to unopposed estrogen's endometrial hyperplasia. She, unlike me, does not have the increased breast cancer SNP risks associated with hormonal use per the small French study you posted a few years ago.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

So happy for you , Silver! The "C" risk aside, Dr. B is fine with 80+. for your age and stage of life, 108 is perfect.