New Heart Disease Study

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Matisse
Contributor
Contributor

New Heart Disease Study

Post by Matisse »

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/301269.php

This heart disease study was recently in the news. RS4888378AA reduce heart disease risk in women and unfortunately increases it 6.1% (vs. 2.5%) for women with the GG version. I'm GG but so was aunt who had a stroke for the first time age 92 post surgery. I had my carotid checked a couple years ago and it was within the norm but I'm thinking I should have it checked again.

"Over the 5-year study period, these women were found to have a 6.1% higher risk of having a heart attack, stroke or diseased blood vessels, compared with those with the low-risk version of the gene, who had a 2.5% risk of such an event."

edited to correct info
Last edited by Matisse on Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: New Heart Disease Study

Post by KatieS »

Matisse, thanks for posting this risky SNP. However, as another GG, I read the risks as 6.1% vs 2.5% within the five year study, not a six-fold increase. Since the men did not have this increased risk, high estrogen levels are cited as the culprit. This confirms that I'm making the right decision elect very minimal estrogen replacement (0.0125 mg). Like you, I think I'll compare the carotid intimal measurement to the 0.6/0.7 from a few years ago soon.
Matisse
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Matisse »

Thank you Kitano. You are right. I corrected my original post. One thing I'm not certain of however is whether it's 2.5% vs. 6.1% risk or if it's 6.1% higher than those with the AA/2.5% risk. The wording is a little unclear to me.
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by KatieS »

I'm interpreting this GG to be a 6.1% risk compared to the 2.5% low-risk AA (what about AG?) women over 5 years. Relative to male's overall higher CV risks, it's still relatively low. This seems to be scanning large epidemiological data, unlikely to be correlated with actual levels of estradiol or cholesterol of these higher risk GG women. All the more motivation to have optimal cholesterol levels.