Resistant Starch

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
MarcR
Mod
Mod

Re: Resistant Starch

Post by MarcR »

I added RS (Bob's Red Mill Unmodified Potato Starch) to my ketogenic diet for two weeks a couple of months ago. Thankfully, the resulting stinky gas and constipation went away as soon as I stopped.
Ski
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Ski »

Tried this and made no difference in any of my lipid results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SpunkyPup
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SpunkyPup »

you did not try it long enough..
giftsplash
Contributor
Contributor

Post by giftsplash »

Came across green banana flour which just came on the market. The info I got from the company is that it is 30% RS.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HGJ7VAU/ref ... B9LKF9UICI
SpunkyPup
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SpunkyPup »

looks like the crap has been blown out of the ketogenic diet and native references.

read the comments and it has been covered in other posts on the blog

you need to read the comments on doing RS to get a handle on it to..

http://freetheanimal.com/2014/03/disrup ... etheanimal
Gilgamesh
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gilgamesh »

On a related note: don't chew too much! Presumably many starches can have their resistance "chewed down".

http://www.nature.com/ejcn/journal/v68/ ... 3231a.html

"Mastication effects on the glycaemic index: impact on variability and practical implications"
Abstract

Glycaemic variability challenges the accuracy and use of the glycaemic index (GI). The purpose of the current study was to determine the role of mastication on GI. Using a randomized, controlled, crossover, non-blind design, 15 healthy young subjects returned on 5 separate days for three glucose and two rice test sessions. At the rice sessions, subjects chewed each mouthful either 15 or 30 times. Rice chewed 15 times produced a total glycaemic response (GR; 155 mmol min/l), peak GR (2.4 mmol/l) and GI (68) significantly lower than when chewed for longer (30 times) (184 mmol min/l, 2.8 mmol/l and 88, respectively). The study shows that the GI of rice is affected by the degree of mastication. Chewing 15 times compared with 30 times significantly attenuates the GI, suggesting that mastication may potentially contribute to the glycaemic variability of rice. While future work must establish the extent and limits to which mastication affects glycaemia, it could also explore the potential of using mastication to reduce the glycaemic load of rice.
(Thanks to Al Pater, from the CR Society main list.)

GB
giftsplash
Contributor
Contributor

Post by giftsplash »

Has anyone had an NMR test done yet after going on RS?
SpunkyPup
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SpunkyPup »

the above study has nothing to do with RS.

RS will lower and moderate BG response. maybe in some indirect way you might think there is a relationship.

Two ApO-E-3/4 at trackyourplaque has provided to themselves that a high fat diet does not work with nmr. you can also count me having proved it to myself sometime back.

The Eskimos were never in ketosis and stories falsely represent the case as the research existed for sometime.
Now how it became related to Alz is still a fairy tale to me based on the nut of the coconut.
MarkES
Contributor
Contributor

Post by MarkES »

Juliegee wrote:WOW, this is really interesting. Robb Wolfe reveals he's been using 4 tbsp potato starch a day and has lowered his LDL-P, from 2,200 to 895. (He tinkered with thyroid/cortisol stuff first.) RS is relatively new to him- amazing results. It's also lowered his inflammation markers, etc. Unfortunately it's in podcast form/no written transcript- 1st 30 mins.... WELL worth it for anyone who's trying to optimize lipids and/or gut biome.
Interesting, some notes I took:
[13:45] Robb increased carbs and not adding fat to meals.
[19:25] Low carb eaters have lower gut bacteria, a shift away from healthful bacteria to pathogenic bacteria.
[23:45] Robb normally has low total cholesterol, low LDL, high HDL.
LDL-P 2200 - assuming eating similar to his book The Paleo Solution, along with crossfit.
LDL-P 1400 - cortisol and thyroid improvements
LDL-P 895 - potato starch
ε3/ε4
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Yeah, rather stunning turnaround in many ways. The thing that most frustrated me about his RS experiment is that Robb concurrently upped carbs & began RS. His improved LDL-P could most certainly have been the result of the former & had nothing to do with the latter. A friend of mine, who eats Paleo, did the same experiment w/o increasing carbs & experienced no LDL-P improvement; hope he chimes in to share his experience.

I wonder where Robb is now with all of this. Anyone have an update?