Resistant Starch

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Resistant Starch

Post by Julie G »

Resistant Starch Fixes The Same Old Low Carb Diet Problems
http://freetheanimal.com/2013/12/resist ... oblemshtml

My Twitter Dustup Over Resistant Starch with Jimmy Moore
http://freetheanimal.com/2013/12/twitte ... tarch.html

Resistant starch consumption promotes lipid oxidation
http://www.biomedcentral.com/content/pd ... 75-1-8.pdf
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: Resistant Starch

Post by Julie G »

WOW, this is really interesting. Robb Wolfe reveals he's been using 4 tbsp potato starch a day and has lowered his LDL-P, from 2,200 to 895. (He tinkered with thyroid/cortisol stuff first.) RS is relatively new to him- amazing results. It's also lowered his inflammation markers, etc. Unfortunately it's in podcast form/no written transcript- 1st 30 mins.... WELL worth it for anyone who's trying to optimize lipids and/or gut biome.

SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Here's a new study on RS.

Resistant starch type 4-enriched diet lowered blood cholesterols and improved body composition in a double blind controlled cross-over intervention.

RS4 consumption compared with CF resulted in 7.2% (p = 0.002) lower mean total cholesterol, 5.5% (p = 0.04) lower non-HDL, and a 12.8% (p < 0.001) lower HDL cholesterol in the With-MetS group. No-MetS individuals had a 2.6% (p = 0.02) smaller waist circumference and 1.5% (p = 0.03) lower percent body fat following RS4 intervention compared to CF.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24478107

And they did a 2 week washout.

Think I'll go add some potato starch to my buckwheat-hazelnut pancakes this morning. ;-)
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Nice study, Susan. I'm still slightly worried about increasing lipid oxidation. See the paper in the 1st post of this thread...BUT my attention is focused big time.

From what I understand, the potato starch in your pancakes won't help. It must be eaten cold, like mixed with water or in yogurt. Apparently, when it's heated the beneficial effects are no longer available. This is an exciting emerging therapy; equal parts voodoo machinations and science :D

Here's a great link that covers the basics. Spunky has been jumping up and down about this for awhile. Could be a helpful tool in optimizing gut biome and subsequently lowering LDL-P.

http://freetheanimal.com/2013/12/resist ... wbies.html
SpunkyPup
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SpunkyPup »

Been doing it for a while now...

who else is?
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Tell us your experience, Spunky. You've sort of shared some NMRs, but no info on which involved RS and which didn't. What's your overall impression of the stuff?

I'm thinking of doing a 2 part experiment. First, doing post-prandial checks to make sure my BGs aren't spiking as advertised. I'd start by checking my BG response to the RS alone. Next day, I'd test my BG response to a sweet potato w/o RS, then (following day) sweet potato with RS. IF I get dramatic results as promised- a blunting of BG- I'd incorporate it in my daily regimen for 3-4 weeks and then check my LDL-P. Of course, I'd start with a baseline NMR before trialing it.

You just take potato starch with water, right? (Sounds awful :evil: ) Any advice on timing- like twice a day, before meals, what? Thanks in advance for any help. And, of course I'd love any advice on my experiment design.
SpunkyPup
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SpunkyPup »

le fartage has increased as my dear ole lady tells me but she is doing the toot toots too a bit as she is 2tblsp while I'm 3tblsp of bobsredmill unmodified potato starch dissolved in cool water. you can add it to your food as long as temp is lower than 140F as above it turns to gelled starch which one should avoid.

did not bring my BG meter while in retreat on treasure isl FL but seems ok one needs time and the tooting goes back to normal as the gut adjusts. I think it is normal to toot more always did but not always pungently perfumed. takes time to get benefits when at 4tbsps/day. since I eat lotsa fiber really good poops or corpols think you call them so I might not need as much but some can still benefit.

https://www.google.com/search?q=stool+c ... B400%3B566
SpunkyPup
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SpunkyPup »

you might like this

"I'll do this as a separate post rather than as an update to the one I just put up, because it's that important. You can file this under either "why I do what I do" or, "Richard loves to rub people's faces in steaming piles of stinky shit when they deserve it."

Your choice.

Some time back, I posted about my parents-in-law's 60th wedding anniversary. Sam has been a type 2 diabetic for 40 years or more—more than half his life. I've been there myself and seen BG readings after breakfast of 400+. I finally got him to take the potato starch challenge. I suggested he dose it with a mix of kefir and orange juice. He loves it.

He went mildly hypoglycemic at night after a few days, is having to reduce his insulin. (Update: he just reports in email that other things are improved, too, but out of respect for his privy's I'll leave it to your imagination.)"
http://feeds.feedblitz.com/freetheanimal
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

I have to admit I'm fascinated. My head is spinning with all that I'm learning and the possible implications for E4s. I listened to a podcast of Richard last night talking about this- unique guy ;) I was struck by how much we don't know. There's a bunch of scientific papers & then there's a bunch of people out there running their own experiments. The two haven't been married yet; but the anecdotal evidence is blowing me away. THIS may be the missing link for E4s.

It seems to have been stumbled upon by the LC crowd, who wanted to consume more carbs, without experiencing the subsequent rise in BGs. But, I suspect that traditional E4s have always been eating RS. Think about it. The prevalence of E4s is quite high in Oceania and Africa, but the incidence of AD/CVD is quite low. Many point to their high carb diets as being the secret behind their good health- despite their genes. What if it is the green bananas and wild yams (super high in RS) that the Kitivans eat that provides the protection? What if it is the cooled stale maize pudding that the Africans eat that provides them with the protection? Perhaps it's not so much our macronutrient ratios or even the types of food we eat; but how they are prepared and combined?

Could this also be a healthier way to produce ketones? Adding RS seems to transform even plant materials into butyrate/short chain fatty acids in the gut and subsequently blunts BG spikes. The implications for E4s are HUGE. I'm doing another NMR for a baseline, then going to start tinkering with this.

THANKS, Spunky!
SpunkyPup
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SpunkyPup »

you have not reached the part where ancestral people used to separate RS and consume it separately and in cultures separated by continents so they figured it out themselves! It is almost impossible to eat sufficiently high RS just eating food and getting the max benefit.
it is ok to start 4tbsp immediately and some do not have adjustment problems.
there is the american gut project to get yourself sampled and add to the scientific knowledge base.

add this to the list

Changes in the gut bacteria protect against stroke, research finds

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 091024.htm