Relief: Alzheimer's Clinic Says That I Don't Have Alzheimer's

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Phlogiston
Contributor
Contributor

Relief: Alzheimer's Clinic Says That I Don't Have Alzheimer's

Post by Phlogiston »

As many of you know, I was diagnosed with Mild Cognitive Impairment in August of this year after several years of memory issues. Today I had an appointment with Dr. Joseph Masdeu at the Nantz Alzheimer's Clinic in Houston.

I spoke to Dr. Masdeu after doing some brief memory testing with a psychologist. Dr. Masdeu's feedback was as follows:
*The psychologist who screened me said that my memory was "very good for someone your age"
*The memory issues that I have experienced are qualitatively different than those experienced in pre-Alzheimers MCI
*By their standards, (bearing in mind that they're used to patients in full blown dementia) I barely qualify as cognitively impaired, and
*My memory issues were most likely caused by prolonged use of Ambien, and Ambien-related memory loss is reversible

I am scheduled for an MRI, but he felt that PET testing was not indicated for me because of the lack of Alzheimer's-type deficits.

Dr. Masdeu stated that the logic behind the MEND protocol "made sense" and encouraged me to continue to comply with it, with an emphasis on doing aerobic exercise every day if possible. He didn't show much interest in my page-long list of supplements.

I know that my memory is worse than it was and worse than I would like it to be, but having Alzheimer's taken off the table (for now) is an enormous relief. I don't know how I would have scored if I had undergone another full-day neuropsych evaluation like this one I had in August, but in August I only had a week free from Ambien and now I have four months.

Now I just have to remember to send in my 23andme saliva sample...
Kit
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Relief: Alzheimer's Clinic Says That I Don't Have Alzheimer's

Post by Kit »

Dear Phlogiston,

I am very, very new on this list but I am so glad that you heard good news related to your memory today. I know I, for one, dread hearing the results of any memory tests, though I have undergone a few. So far, I have not been diagnosed with anything, so mine is mainly subjective, but very real and very different than a few years ago and not normal for me at all. I understand the fear and the relief you must feel with this news. I am glad your doctor encouraged you to continue with the MEND protocol. I just feel bad that there are so many out there that do not know about this and don't have the chance that we all have to delay, substantially, prevent, or even reverse cognitive decline.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

All good news, Phlogiston. I like that Dr. Masdeu encouraged you to continue with the MEND protocol. I agree with him that we have the MOST evidence for exercise as a strategy. It certainly can't hurt your cognition. FWIW, I think SCI (subjective cognitive impairment) is very real. I respect that you suspect that something is still brewing. Let that be your motivator to stick with it. For now, CELEBRATE, my friend :D
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

We're all so happy for you, that you can take the Alzheimer's worry off your daily plate, and that you have a supportive doctor! Keep exercising and working on the post-Ambien sleep protocol - probably still gains to be made there.

Hugs and happy dance for you!
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Very happy for you honey. Stay off the sleeping pills. They are definitely not good for brains.