Think the brain is the hungriest tissue in our body? Think again.

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Think the brain is the hungriest tissue in our body? Think again.

Post by circular »

This falls in the realm of clinical observation rather than long term, peer reviewed RCTs, so it belongs in the 'watch this space' file of your brain.

I listened to an interesting interview with an otolaryngologist/surgeon yesterday. Apparently the inner ear is three times as fuel hungry as the same volume of brain tissue. Some otolaryngologists, though not a mainstream opinion, are noting associations between insulin resistance -- identified using a glucose tolerance that incorporates insulin levels -- and patients with inner ear disorders, like tinnitus, dizziness, migraines (which apparently some researchers out of Germany now think mostly have their origin in inner ear dysfunction with CNS aspects being downstream)....

Apparently some of these patients see improvement of their inner ear symptoms by making lifestyle changes to control the blood sugar/insulin profile. Sometimes they also have inner ear bone dysfunctions and add special treatments targeting bone remodeling imbalances. Some researchers in this field are also noting the role insulin plays in bone remodeling and beginning to think of bone as an endocrine organ.

The significance if shown to be supported in long term research (which I don't think has really begun yet) is, according to Dr. Brookler, that people with inner ear disorders may be the 'canaries in the coal mine' of insulin issues [it's getting crowed in the coal mine :!: ]; that is, since the inner ear is the most demanding metabolic tissue, it may show the first signs of trouble with insulin.

Here's a case report he published. His dietary management portion of treatment was rather conservative (i.e. it doesn't mention ketogenic dieting).

'Illustrative cases of unorthodox tinnitus management.'

http://www.noiseandhealth.org/article.a ... t=Brookler

Here's the interview in two parts:

June 6, 2016 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-iO5du66-8 [I've so far only heard 1/2 of this one]

Aug 2015 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-5gohctcJE
Last edited by circular on Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Think the brain is the hungriest tissue in our body? Think again.

Post by Stavia »

Oh very interesting Circ
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

I forgot to mention he also said there's a blood-labyrinth barrier! Hmmm, maybe barriers are everywhere, or is it just the gut, brain and inner ear labyrinth? Anyway, I hadn't know that. And he mentions cytokines in the inner ear.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Well the inner ear is a neural structure (8th cranial nerve) and part of the central nervous system so it would be inside the BBB.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Hmmm, he seemed to be saying it has its own barrier, independent of the BBB. I may try to have another listen and will get back.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Ah my information is out of date! How interesting Circ. Science is unearthing so much unknown physiological complexity. Wow.
Thanks for the link.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

And doing so even faster than even the best can keep up with!