Ketogenic Diet: Transitioning, Experiences, Reasons, Cautions ...

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Ketogenic Diet: Transitioning, Experiences, Reasons, Cautions ...

Post by TheBrain »

circular wrote:Alas, I am at a crossroads again. I continue to gain weight on the ketogenic diet, because due to my other health issues I can't exercise enough to offset 1) the additional calories coming in through fat, 2) the Ketotifen I take that causes weight gain, and 3) the HRT I'm on which can cause weight gain. The one more temporary issue is that it's been too hot to go out for my walks, and I can't use the machines at the gym for non--weight-bearing exercise. My hunger is more level, but not if I cut back on the fat intake.

I do think my ketones have been higher than necessary, so I can try to find a better balance and still have ketones. It must be a very fine line between low ketones and 'metabolic no man's land', whatever that's really supposed to mean.
Circ, I'm sorry to hear you're at a crossroads again with your diet and feeling confused about what to do. How much weight have you gained? How high have your ketones been running? Maybe you do have some wiggle room you can work with.

I can imagine how frustrating it is to want to exercise more but being unable to.
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
J11
Contributor
Contributor

Post by J11 »

Ketosis for lazy people?
Sign me up!

delta G is supposed to go on sale later this year.
This ketone drink appears able to boost ketone levels up to 5 mM.

Has anyone tried this one already?

https://www.newscientist.com/article/20 ... er-faster/
http://www.cell.com/cell-metabolism/ful ... 16)30355-2
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Do others see large swings in ketones from early afternoon to late afternoon? I've heard BHB is usually lower in the morning and higher late in the day, but I've often seen BHB of .1-.5 around 1 pm that are between 1.0 and 2.0 by 5 pm, even after having about three inches of banana with a snack. Do others see this much of a swing in the afternoon alone (albeit that's a narrow range for those who like to be between 2.0 and 5.0 BHB -- I guess I should look at it from that perspective)? Just curious and don't have time to read detailed books about ketogenic diets.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Orangeblossom
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Orangeblossom »

Hi Circular,

before i found out about my APOE 3/4 status I was interested in low carb and ketogenic diets for weight loss and had started off doing this last yea. I too had problems with the carb flu, and also struggled with insomnia and a fast heart rate. I was producing high levels of ketones though (on ketostix) and losing weight. I tried eating more sea salt and taking some potassium to help. I was on under 20g carbs a day so quite low really.

I have since gone on to a more mediterranean style of eating, less carb counting, but maybe generally around 50g a day (net carbs) eating more veggies, and being less restrictive but still not eating processed white carbs and grains etc, this seems to work for me with intermittent fasting. I'm still eating things like full fat greek yoghurt, eggs, cream dark choc etc as found this too hard to give up although not sure this is so good for E4s. I feel better on it though, and don't fancy lots of oils really.

i exercise quite a bit and also do 16:8 fasting. I' not too sure about the ketone levels though as have given up testing as much.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

I've read here and there that ketones are higher later in the day, so whenever I want to check my ketones I do it in the afternoon, occasionally evening. This week I've been surprised when, on a lark, I started testing in the morning, and for four days in a row they've run higher at that time of day than any time after. It shouldn't be too much of a surprise I guess, because it's around the end of my IF. But there are so many people doing IFing and still I tend to hear ketones are higher later in the day :?
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
simonh01
Contributor
Contributor

Post by simonh01 »

This is a great article and perspective by Robb Wolf on ketone readings and why perhaps you shouldn't be chasing a number.

https://robbwolf.com/2018/05/23/keto-co ... -thinking/
Simon
ε4/ε4
Rainbow
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Rainbow »

My heart rate has gone up significantly since I started playing around with a ketogenic diet and intermittent fasting. One consequence is that the beating of my heart sometimes keeps me awake at night. It's been worrying me for the past few months, and I'm not sure what to do about it.

I've tried supplementing with 2000 mg magnesium a day (on top of eating lots of greens), but this hasn't helped. Perhaps it's an issue with potassium (which I've never taken as a supplement). But since I don't know my levels, I'm not sure whether it's necessary.

Has anyone experienced something similar? I feel amazing on a ketogenic diet with intermittent fasting, and if possible, would like to be able to continue eating like this.
4/4
CarrieS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CarrieS »

A friend of mine was telling me that B2 supplements at night (200 mg) has helped her sleep deeply after removing grains from her diet (she has Hashimoto's).

I look forward to our more knowledgeable members comments about your heart rate.
APOe4/4
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Certificate for Reversing Cognitive Decline for Coaches (FMCA)
Certified Fermentationist
simonh01
Contributor
Contributor

Post by simonh01 »

You need to watch your electrolytes on keto.

This will help you

https://ketogains.com/2016/08/ketogains ... pplements/
Simon
ε4/ε4
Rainbow
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Rainbow »

A friend of mine was telling me that B2 supplements at night (200 mg) has helped her sleep deeply after removing grains from her diet (she has Hashimoto's).
Thanks CarrieS! B2 supplements might be a good idea for me in any case (or so I've heard) based on my MTHFR polymorphisms (I have rs1801133 and rs1801131 both heterozygous). My understanding is that B2 is a cofactor for MTHFR.
You need to watch your electrolytes on keto.

This will help you

https://ketogains.com/2016/08/ketogains ... pplements/
Thanks simonh01, it seems like I need to start getting serious about supplements. I'll take it one by one and see how it goes. Potassium's first up — I'm going to work on getting more from dietary sources (seems difficult; I'm almost definitely not hitting the RDA right now) and top up with a supplement.
4/4