Migraines with aura--help!!

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Robin2038
Contributor
Contributor

Migraines with aura--help!!

Post by Robin2038 »

Good morning,

I had a horrible evening with my 12 year old daughter last night. She apparently has the family "curse," debilitating migraines with aura. I get them (much reduced in past 5 years), my mom got them, and one of my son's gets them on occasion. When my son first started getting them (~8 years ago), I did a lot of research and found that butterbur and magnesium can reduce the number of migraines. The pediatric neurologist we visited knew nothing about this, and seemed surprised when I showed him the then current recommendations from the American Neurological Association that listed butterbur as helpful as preventative prescription medications (butterbur was listed as "probably" effective-- said magnesium was "possibly" effective)

Anyway, I haven't researched this recently, and am not as smart on nutrition and supplements as most of you. Any recommendations for my daughter? Her diet is so-so, and she eats more sugar than she should, but she's 12 :roll: She doesn't drink caffeine or much soda. Has anyone heard of Cefaly? It's a device you wear on your head and it had an electrode attached. It says that "Precise impulses are produced, which act on the trigeminal nerve in order to prevent migraine attacks." Has anyone used that devise? I bought it a few years ago for my son anticipating he would get as many migraines as me, but fortunately he didn't get them enough to see if it actually worked. I hated seeing my daughter in such pain....

I truly appreciate your help.
Robin
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Migraines with aura--help!!

Post by Stavia »

Oh dear Robin, puberty does trigger them. And hormonal surges in adult women. Is your son a bit older than your daughter and did his start at puberty and then settle as he got older and his hormones stabilised?
Hers may very well settle.

Of course stable glucose levels will be helpful but a 12 year old is difficult food wise. And there are some obvious well known food triggers which can be found on any random Google site.

Anything preventitive needs to be taken every day and it's a huge commitment to get a 12 year old to take daily supplements or meds.

Don't know anything about the machine. Sounds hinky to me, we don't even know the true cause of migraines so I doubt there is a machine that can cure them.

Why don't you stick with rescue therapy for a few months (eg a triptan or paracetamol/Tylenol or ibuprofen) and keep a diary to see if there are any obvious avoidable triggers before you jump into longterm preventitive measures.
Silverlining
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Silverlining »

Hi Robin, my 31 year old daughter is disabled with chronic daily headache/migraines. Over the years we've run the gamut with many many Dr's, teaching hospitals and pain clinics. Her situation is unusual. My 24 year old daughter gets them as well, but not to the extent of the older one. I have no idea what is appropriate or acceptable for a 12 yr old but I'll tell you what we do. Both girls take topamax. Along with magnesium and butterbur, we've been told to try vitamin B2. I know it seems lame but ice is helpful. We've tried a variety of meds including triptans, beta blockers, etc. Birth control, also botox and cervical blocks, nerve ablation, massage, acupuncture, avoiding heat, stress, food triggers, etc. The one thing we haven't tried is cefaly. It's expensive and my daughter wasn't that keen on it.(I feel I should take a run at that again) But I've always thought there was good evidence that it was effective for some. I think it was developed from the idea of small electrodes implanted just under the skin on the scalp and connected to a box. This has been very successful for people who suffer daily.
I know I just threw a LOT at you and much might not be applicable for your daughter. But when it comes to headaches, over the past 12 years I can almost guarantee "we've been there, done that". There was a book a member on another forum site recommended. I'll try to find that and pm you soon. I understand completely the agony you go through watching your daughter in pain. I'm sure with all the therapies, you will find something that works for her. Hugs! (Pls excuse typos, on phone)
Robin2038
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Robin2038 »

Thanks for the responses. Stavia, I will take her to the doctor and have some Meds waiting for the next one. I gave her one Motrin last night and it did nothing. She's so small I'm afraid to give her much (she's about 4'10 and 80 lbs). She felt fine today and went to school. She's right on the cusp of puberty so I'm expecting an increase. My older son (have 2 boys) is 21, and hasn't had a migraine in awhile. He did use the Cefaly device and said it helped when he had a headache, but didn't get them enough to tell if it prevented any. Since we already have one, I can try it with her. We got ours from Costco online for about $300. I tried the "relax" setting on it and it did relax my head!
Silverlining, I'm so sorry to hear about your daughters' migraines. Do either have auras? Does your older daughter still get them every day? I can't imagine that relentless pain. Are they somewhat better on topomax? That was suggested for my son if the headaches increased, but fortunately they subsided. I'll check out the vitamin B2. I'm assuming some magnesium can't hurt her, but I'll hold off on the butterbur and see how she does. I had migraines with aura (numb on one side and visual annoyances) for 30 years, most during my 20s, but had NONE during my three pregnancies, and now in perimenopaisal they are gone. My mom was the same. I was hoping my daughter would be spared, but apparently not. I hope your girls find something that works.
Warm Regards
Robin
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Oh yes I tried the B2 a few years ago. There was a very small randomised controlled trial. It gave me terrible heartburn so I stopped it but it didn't really work.
GenePoole0304
Contributor
Contributor

Post by GenePoole0304 »

topamax you know my doctor said that is the worst for side effects and few should take it!! A neurologist suggested it to me but I refused to fill the script after reading about it.

just as effective as sumatriptan which was proven in a recent trial at 70% without side effects was
3/8 tsp ginger powder in a glass of water.

no pain killers work... I use a magic pad that you reheat in the microwave.
magnesium Albion is better absorbed should help. also B2 >400mg, lef.org has a few good formulas, but rest and sleep is needed.
look for a headache clinic in your area ask doc for recommendation or look online. as there are multiple possible causes.

sugar for your brain just what you need to know!
http://theconversation.com/sugar-may-be ... buse-53813
Robin2038
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Robin2038 »

Ginger.. Never heard that before. I just did some reading on it will try it. It can't hurt.. Thanks!
Silverlining
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Silverlining »

Robin, yes topamax definitely helps, but Gene is right, it comes with fairly significant side effects. For my girls (and my mother), they believe it's worth it. Neither girls have aura and yes, the oldest one lives with headache 24/7. It's just a matter of intensity. We've had to take numerous ER trips when the worst ones go on for 2 or 3 days. They give her an iv cocktail of benadryl, phenegren, dhe and a narcotic. Usually this will break the cycle, stopping the vomiting and allowing her to sleep for several hours. I forgot to mention toradol in the first post, it helps too. Unfortunately she's becoming increasingly sensitive to the benadryl and similar meds causing severe agitation. It's apparently a very uncomfortable feeling. She's one of those people with exaggerated reactions to meds and I'm sure food, etc. However she's not taken the time or effort to consistently really drill down on the details. In her defense, her whole physical system appears very very complicated, difficult and discouraging to tease out confounders and triggers.
My adult children are aware of apoe4, but it doesn't mean much to them; they're just not into the "health thing"...sigh. One last thing. We just purchased a neurostim, a small device that delivers microcurrent therapy. It's been really helpful for my husband and my joint and nerve pain. My daughter used it once at the base of head and it really helped pain there.
Again, I realize most of this might not be appropriate for your daughter, but it's part of what we've learned through the years re treatment of ongoing headache pain.
GenePoole0304
Contributor
Contributor

Post by GenePoole0304 »

the hospital can look it up and there are prepared pharma formulas for this...even one for emergency rooms.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11251702

http://www.thedailyheadache.com/2007/04 ... migra.html

ginger
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23657930
Silverlining
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Silverlining »

Thank you Gene, good stuff! I'm passing this on to my daughter...