Zero CAC score = best predictor of No CVD

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Zero CAC score = best predictor of No CVD

Post by KatieS »

Robin, my husband had very little calcium and a perfect advanced lipid panel, only to have a heart attack (LAD only vessel) at age 66. The major clue was BAD family history (father at age 48) verified with over a dozen bad SNPs. I am troubled by his TG/HDL ratio. How is his A1c? Many aging athletes like myself dismissed concerns about carbs until the A1c became pre-diabetic/IR.
Robin2038
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Robin2038 »

Thanks Katie
I asked his doc to check A1C but she didn't. I suspect it's high. His only fat is a bit of a wide belly. Sigh... I'll ask again next time he gets a blood test. He has no known family history of heart disease. My dad died during his first heart attack at 37. That's the reason I initially did 23 and me and found out about APOE 4. I suspect my dad was 4/4. I think my husband is 2/3 based on my kids but he hasn't been tested. How is your husband now?
Regards
Robin
MAC
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by MAC »

Hey Robin, I joined this forum for AD concerns, but recently been involved in CVD threads.

The TG level is a red flag, especially the TG/HDL ratio, which is apparently the highest correlation to a CVD event. The fact that he was prescribed statins suggests someone is concerned about risk factors. And he also reacted negatively to them, what else does that say about this metabolics?

What about ApoB/ApoA1, A1c, and insulin biomarkers, and I assume no advanced lipid profile?

Going back through the threads, and reading some on CCAC, it's not a free pass to no CVD risk having CCAC score of zero. There could be soft plaque not picked up, and other "risk factors" that modulate the overall CVD risk with even a low CCAC score such as FH (see references below)

Is this his 1st CCAC, and interpreted by experienced radiologist? Rate of progression of CCAC over time is something apparently very important track.

One interesting correlation picked up in one of the videos on thefatemperor website by a Dr Ted Naiman was the waist circumference to height ratio...should be < 0.5 for lowered IR risk, re your comment of wide belly (superior to BMI). I was pushing that metric before my LCHF regiment. And to say "its his only fat"...I certainly had body fat spread around here and there, even though more so in the belly. This is one of those folksy comments, that when I really looked and checked my body, there were certainly places that weren't LEAN MUSCLE! I was clearly kidding myself, and the weigh scale did not lie. You'd really have to do a proper % body fat to get true understanding of this metric as part of an overall risk factor. I hardly recognize myself vs lifelong body shape after only 4 months on LCHF.

Perhaps he should have his apoe4 status tested. Your husband could be E4, even if the kids aren't. You are a 3/4, he could be 3/4, and your kids could have inherited 3/3. (I assume you are inferring your husband is non e4+ based on your kids not being apoe4?).

If it's one thing I've learned from this forum, take matters into your own hands and be proactive with your health! I firmly believe finding out E4+ has fundamentally changed my health trajectory and lowered my TCM. Your husband's biomarkers are telling an n=1 story, just a matter of being proactive, finding the right practitioner.

Here's a link to some additional reference info:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1355&hilit=scan

http://atvb.ahajournals.org/content/24/7/1272

http://www.thefatemperor.com/blog/2016/ ... art-attack

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26801055
MAC
E3/E4-59/MALE
MAC
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by MAC »

Robin, here's a VERY good overview on CVD related to insulin/metabolic syndrome and the focus on reducing calories/carb:

http://denversdietdoctor.com/primary-ca ... sentation/
MAC
E3/E4-59/MALE