Meditation and Gene Expression

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Meditation and Gene Expression

Post by circular »

Very cool ... Mindfulness meditation downregulates inflammatory genes. This can only be good for our brains.

"...meditators experienced genetic changes following mindfulness practice that were not seen in the non-meditating group after other quiet activities — an outcome providing proof of principle that mindfulness practice can lead to epigenetic alterations of the genome."

http://www.news.wisc.edu/22370
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Silverlining
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Meditation and Gene Expression

Post by Silverlining »

This is the one goal (focused mediation) I have set for 2014...however, this goal has been on my radar for a while and I haven't met it yet! I need to be like Nike and JUST DO IT!
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Same here, Silver!
Ski
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Ski »

Me too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SpunkyPup
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SpunkyPup »

there was one study on meditation that I posted sometime ago at http://www.heartlifetalk.com which found that there was all cause disease reduction of some 60% and life extension.

I think I'll meditate on meditating maybe that will increase the benefit?

oh if you want feedback on whether you are meditating effectively and it will allow you to adapt fastest is the heartwave math device. there is a huge library of scientific studies on the benefits of heart rate variability which meditation optimizes.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

For those having a hard time fitting meditation in, try starting with being more in-the-moment mindful when you're doing daily activities. It's a stepping stone and better than nothing if you never do time-out meditations :-)
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Gina99
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gina99 »

It has proven to be an extremely useful tool right after a stressful situation at work for me. i practiced with a biofeedback machine for anxiety some 20 to 25 yrs ago and it too was helpful. Some stress I think can be healthy but when one is stuck on high so to speak It cant be good. Adrenal failure and cortisol levels and such. I am currently using Simply Being and Mindful Meditation in small time segments hoping to be able to draw upon it at will. I know, a lofty goal. All the study links you have been posting have indicated all positive results. Is this not the only area where we have not see a minus for a study? Something to thing about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gilgamesh
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gilgamesh »

I'm an extremely busy person (like most of us) but don't think of myself as high-strung. Still, the research on at least certain types of meditation seems pretty strong, but the benefits might not be enormous (i.e., strong result that there is an effect, but not strong effect). But it's one of those things I started researching and then left.

I'd love to know how much it benefits me. It may only benefit Woody Allen types.

Right now, for ex., I could take 20 mins. from my heavy workload and meditate, or I could keep working. Not an easy decision, when I'm not sure it's worth it. (The decision to take time from work to work out is much easier.)

On the other hand, I'm starting to enjoy meditating!! A merit not to be forgotten!

OK, I'll meditate.

GB
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

G, one of the ways I find regular meditation helps me is to sleep better. Less thinking about stuff when I go to sleep, or not pegging the thought meter if I wake up in the middle of the night. I've had pretty good sleep all my life until menopause, and now find that meditation helps me have better sleep. Even 10 minutes is better than none.

I used to think I didn't have time, too, but now I just think of it as my mini-vacation for my usually too-busy brain. ;)