Primates and 4/4

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Primates and 4/4

Post by circular »

I'm coming to think that exercise and loads of antioxidants, direct from fresh (or flash frozen), organic, low glycemic foods might compensate for a lot. Look for the thread about the new book Eating Wild in the Diet folder, shop and prepare accordingly, then take long walks thinking about how wonderful it is that these antioxidant rich foods are gradually creeping back into our stores (hopefully some near you!).

I bought an AMAZING purple sweet potato the other day, and I mean *dark* purple inside and out. Not as sweet as a regular sweet potato, but good and jam packed with anthocyanins, such that I didn't worry too much about what sugar was in it because the simultaneously high antioxidant level should help mop of the free radicals caused by the glucose burning in the brain, right? (As good a theory as any other these days I figure ;-) I also enjoyed that it was low glycemic compared with the potatoes I used to eat.

I am switching from my favored riper bananas to greener ( :-( ), but continuing to stick with only 1/2 at a time, and adding nut butter to help slow the digestion of the sugars and reward me for going green. There are ways to balance, and my current theory is that turbocharging the diet with high antioxidant, low glycemic foods, along with regular exercise and mindfulness should be my TOP GOALS for prevention. No doubt primates in the wild enjoy these daily. (I haven't been on the SAD for years so don't have to start with white sugar etc., which might be the right spot for someone else to focus.)
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
lol
Contributor
Contributor

Post by lol »

Sounds like a really good plan, Circular. I did have sweet potatoes last night. Okay. With a little cinnamon sugar, but not much. Maybe Trader Joe's has the purple ones. I will check it out. :idea:
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

I just add plain cinnamon to my sweet potatoes, and oatmeal. I try to use it regularly to help with blood sugar, but I'm not sure the science on that. I find cinnamon alone works for sweet potatoes b/c the SPs already have so much sweetness. Then I always have blueberries in my oatmeal, so they provide the sweetness there. It's those little adjustments that over the long haul could make a big difference, but we all have to scoot the line from wherever it currently is ;-)
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Here's a great lecture I recently stumbled upon, Dr. Loren Cordain discussing the evolution of the Western Diet- from primates to modern day.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5dw1MuD9EP ... dw1MuD9EP4
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Does he mention ApoE4? I might not get a chance to watch for over a month now, so wondering about that in particular, but will try to watch down the line when more time frees up. He's good.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

My first viewing was interrupted about half way through- just stopped working. While doing dishes tonight, I'll try again...unless the Housewives from Anywhere are on- my trashy Bravo addiction :lol:

Re. ApoE4, keep in mind, that IS the ancestral allele, so yeah he definitely covers it.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Just watched the whole thing. Great overview! Thanks for posting. Will send to folks who want to better understand the paleo POV :-)
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Will send to folks who want to better understand the paleo POV :-)
Sorry, Circ. I'm such a slouch; never got to the second half- perhaps that was the Paleo propaganda section? The first half was a terrific scientific discussion of human evolution/diet...thought it was appropriate here :oops:
I'm coming to think that exercise and loads of antioxidants, direct from fresh (or flash frozen), organic, low glycemic foods might compensate for a lot. Look for the thread about the new book Eating Wild in the Diet folder, shop and prepare accordingly, then take long walks thinking about how wonderful it is that these antioxidant rich foods are gradually creeping back into our stores (hopefully some near you!).
FWIW, I'm in full agreement with you here...and find nothing that contradicts with my version of the "Paleo" Diet.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Cordain didn't mention paleo by name. I just called it that 'cause it was expedient, and pretty true. No apology needed! I remember the days I couldn't cover everything online that I wanted to, *before* time-consuming but interesting videos were everywhere too!