Zinc. Is it necessary to supplement with?

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Thx4thegenes
Contributor
Contributor

Zinc. Is it necessary to supplement with?

Post by Thx4thegenes »

Hi All,

I searched for some info on the subject of Zinc, but unfortunately I wasn't finding my answer, so I thought I'd ask. Prior to finding out that we shouldn't be supplementing with copper, I was using Source Naturals OptiZinc. It's a Zinc Monomethionine Complex, which contains copper. I stopped taking it after reading about cooper on this site. I will be asking my doctor for a zinc/copper ratio this summer for my physical, as well as many other tests, and I was just wondering if it's something that I need to be taking or if I should wait for my results? If so, any recommendations on what type of zinc or brand? Currently I take Magnesium, Mk7, Vit D, Chromium Polynicotinate, L-Carnitine, Dr. Perlmutter's/Garden of Life probiotic, Milk Thistle, NAC, and just started Turmeric for my inflamed finger, which isn't helping. I recently ordered Banyan Joint Balm and I Sleep Soundly as mentioned in another discussion.

Thank you!
apod
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Zinc. Is it necessary to supplement with?

Post by apod »

Looking at Source Naturals OptiZinc, the amount of copper contained wouldn't bug me -- it contains 300 micrograms copper at a ratio against 30,000 micrograms of zinc. This is less Cu than you would get eating one oyster or one avocado. From an old 2001 study, the majority of Americans consume less than the RDA for copper, which might have some association with cardiovascular disease -- http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2 ... sease.html

I enjoy Paul Jaminet's research on nutrition -- in this post, he writes: "Copper deficiency is, I believe, the single most likely cause of elevated LDL on low-carb Paleo diets. The solution is to eat beef liver or supplement."

What would bug me about the source natural's zinc is that they're not using L-methionine, but a racemic mix with D-methionine. Now foods sells a version with just the L isomer, which I've used in the past ("L-OptiZinc" @ 1-2x/wk.)

Lately, I've got some Zinc L-Carnosine (PepZin), which seems like an interesting form (I find carnosine fascinating.)

Chromium supplementation seems a little sketchy lately: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 121443.htm
Surfrank57
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Surfrank57 »

Apod I agree PepZin is an awesome combo. I recommend it to people I train that are calorie restricted bodybuilders. Helps with fat transport and immune system regulation during stress, i.e. dieting.

Frank
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

Dr. Bredesen recommends a zinc level of 100 µg/dL and a copper level of 100 µg/dL. So the ideal ratio is 1:1.

Ideally, you'd test first to decide whether to supplement. Per my testing, I was over-supplementing with zinc (155). I stopped taking it and waited a month or so and got retested. Then, my zinc dropped (78). So now I'm supplementing with a lower dose of zinc.

Per two tests, my copper is running too high (112, then 133). I'm not taking a copper supplement, so I don't know where it's coming from. When I lived in Colorado for 13 years, we had copper pipes. I don't know if that would increase blood levels of copper or if copper hangs around in the body or why it would increase after moving away.
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
Thx4thegenes
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Thx4thegenes »

apod, thank you so much for the information as I was under the wrong impression regarding the amount of copper needed in our diet, specifically for our allele, and or supplementing with it. I knew that I could find some solid advice here! Also, thank you for the scary article about Chromium. I began to supplement with it after reading Dr. Hyman's book, due to increasing glucose levels. I think I'll stop. I'll check out the Now brand, PepZin and carnosine, apod and Surfrank, thank you.

Alysson, thank you for the recommended zinc levels. I'll definitely get them checked.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Bump.
My zinc is sitting stubbornly at 10ish of my units (about 65 to 70 of yours) despite 30mg zinc piccolinate daily plus heaps n heaps of mussels.
My copper is perfect at 100.
Thoughts?
Thx4thegenes
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Thx4thegenes »

Hi Stavia,

I did get my levels checked back in June and they were Copper 0.97 and Zinc 0.90. I was taking this brand at the time although I take it maybe 3 x's week. Mon, Wed, Fri.

http://www.vitacost.com/now-l-optizinc- ... g-capsules

Maybe this formula will help you.

Thx
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Stavia, you could try upping it (I've seen studies that used up to 80 mg/day in the elderly to boost levels). Or try a different formula to see if you can absorb it better.

The only other thing that can affect levels is underlying inflammation, but I'm going to assume you're good there?
LA18
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by LA18 »

Stavia, do you have low B6 as well? I have a high level of kryptopyrroles in my urine (pyroluria). I’m not sure of the significance of this condition but, as is typical of this population, without adequate supplementation I do have very low levels of both Zinc and B6.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Thx4 I was thinking of swapping to the optizinc actually.
Susan my CRP is <1 but I do have asthma (on monteleukast now)
LAC I dont really wanna spend $150 to test B6 in my country but I do take it in the form of 5P5 daily so it should be ok?