Webinar replay with Dr. Datis Kharrazian on brain fog and neurodegeneration

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Webinar replay with Dr. Datis Kharrazian on brain fog and neurodegeneration

Post by TheBrain »

I found this webinar to be very informative. Dr. Datis Kharrazian discusses neurodegenerative diseases, but he doesn't address ApoE4 specifically. Nonetheless, I found that a lot of the specifics apply. For the first time ever, I heard the term "brain endurance." Insufficient brain endurance, experienced from reading, for example, is described as a symptom of brain fog. I think insufficient brain endurance is my primary brain symptom.

Dr. Kharrazian is well-known within the functional medicine community. He is the author of Why Isn't My Brain Working? and Why Do I Still Have Thyroid Symptoms? when My Lab Tests Are Normal.

For a short time (today and maybe tomorrow), his webinar "Banish Brain Fog: The Six-Week Brain Rescue Plan" is available at the link below. He is promoting a program that goes deeper into the topic, which I would love to take, but I'm still in a temporary state of $$ being tight after buying a house.

http://app.webinarjam.net/login/19520/f ... 2/0/replay

I got the link through an email newsletter, but my husband tried the link and he was able to access the webinar.

Here is some text I received about this webinar (along with a discount code if you're interested in buying the program):
I delve deep into the causes of brain fog in this webinar, and what you can do about them.

Topics include technology induced dementia, how poor development in childhood can affect your brain later in life, and the effects of brain injuries.

We also talked about how inflammation in the brain does not shut down in the way it does in the body, which means a brain injury can manifest years down the road.

Brain fog is a sign of brain inflammation, which degenerates the brain and impairs function.

Then the webinar really gets going as we delve into the many dietary and lifestyle factors that impact your brain health and what you can do about them. We also talk about the little signs of poor brain health that everyone thinks are normal but are actually red flags.

Brain fog is one of those red flags.

If you missed the live webinar, no problem, you can watch a replay here. Again, the coupon code for the $50 discount off the Banish Brain Fog: The Six-Week Brain Rescue Plan course is DRK50 and it expires March 28.
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
michaelzh
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Webinar replay with Dr. Datis Kharrazian on brain fog and neurodegeneration

Post by michaelzh »

TheBrain wrote:I found this webinar to be very informative. Dr. Datis Kharrazian discusses neurodegenerative diseases, but he doesn't address ApoE4 specifically. Nonetheless, I found that a lot of the specifics apply. For the first time ever, I heard the term "brain endurance." Insufficient brain endurance, experienced from reading, for example, is described as a symptom of brain fog. I think insufficient brain endurance is my primary brain symptom.

Dr. Kharrazian is well-known within the functional medicine community. He is the author of Why Isn't My Brain Working? and Why Do I Still Have Thyroid Symptoms? when My Lab Tests Are Normal.

For a short time (today and maybe tomorrow), his webinar "Banish Brain Fog: The Six-Week Brain Rescue Plan" is available at the link below. He is promoting a program that goes deeper into the topic, which I would love to take, but I'm still in a temporary state of $$ being tight after buying a house.

http://app.webinarjam.net/login/19520/f ... 2/0/replay

I got the link through an email newsletter, but my husband tried the link and he was able to access the webinar.

Here is some text I received about this webinar (along with a discount code if you're interested in buying the program):
I delve deep into the causes of brain fog in this webinar, and what you can do about them.

Topics include technology induced dementia, how poor development in childhood can affect your brain later in life, and the effects of brain injuries.

We also talked about how inflammation in the brain does not shut down in the way it does in the body, which means a brain injury can manifest years down the road.

Brain fog is a sign of brain inflammation, which degenerates the brain and impairs function.

Then the webinar really gets going as we delve into the many dietary and lifestyle factors that impact your brain health and what you can do about them. We also talk about the little signs of poor brain health that everyone thinks are normal but are actually red flags.

Brain fog is one of those red flags.

If you missed the live webinar, no problem, you can watch a replay here. Again, the coupon code for the $50 discount off the Banish Brain Fog: The Six-Week Brain Rescue Plan course is DRK50 and it expires March 28.
Hi TheBrain, thanks for sharing the information and I noticed the post date is back to 2016. May I ask have you tried this course and does it helpful? My mum is suffering from brain fog for a long time, and we can't find the reason and a way to treat it.
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

michaelzh wrote: Hi TheBrain, thanks for sharing the information and I noticed the post date is back to 2016. May I ask have you tried this course and does it helpful? My mum is suffering from brain fog for a long time, and we can't find the reason and a way to treat it.
Hi michaelzh,

I didn't take this course, but I did eventually resolve my brain endurance issue. It turned out that I had hydrogen sulfide small intestine bacterial overgrowth (HS SIBO). After treatment, which did require an antibiotic called Rifaximin, the most significant improvement I noticed was with my brain endurance. So SIBO was my underlying root cause/trigger.

There is a test called Trio-Smart (https://www.triosmartbreath.com) that looks for the three types of gas found in SIBO. Perhaps it might be worth a try. But I'm sure there are many possible root causes for brain fog. In some cases, people have no obvious gut issues but they nonetheless have SIBO.

If you take that course, please report back and let us know what you think and if it helps your mum.
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
michaelzh
Contributor
Contributor

Post by michaelzh »

TheBrain wrote:
michaelzh wrote: Hi TheBrain, thanks for sharing the information and I noticed the post date is back to 2016. May I ask have you tried this course and does it helpful? My mum is suffering from brain fog for a long time, and we can't find the reason and a way to treat it.
Hi michaelzh,

I didn't take this course, but I did eventually resolve my brain endurance issue. It turned out that I had hydrogen sulfide small intestine bacterial overgrowth (HS SIBO). After treatment, which did require an antibiotic called Rifaximin, the most significant improvement I noticed was with my brain endurance. So SIBO was my underlying root cause/trigger.

There is a test called Trio-Smart (https://www.triosmartbreath.com) that looks for the three types of gas found in SIBO. Perhaps it might be worth a try. But I'm sure there are many possible root causes for brain fog. In some cases, people have no obvious gut issues but they nonetheless have SIBO.

If you take that course, please report back and let us know what you think and if it helps your mum.
Hi TheBrain, thank you so much for the information you provided. My mum has been suffering from brain fog for 10 years, sometime she felt better and sometime it got worse. She has seen different doctors in the past 10 years, but no one can figure out the cause for brain fog, therefore she hasn't taken any treatment.

We are in Australia, I'm not sure is this test available here or not. I'll talk to her GP to see how it is going. Thank you so much!

We haven't take the courese because I just start to do the research. If we take the course later, I'll post it here and let you know.
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

michaelzh wrote:
Hi TheBrain, thank you so much for the information you provided. My mum has been suffering from brain fog for 10 years, sometime she felt better and sometime it got worse. She has seen different doctors in the past 10 years, but no one can figure out the cause for brain fog, therefore she hasn't taken any treatment.

We are in Australia, I'm not sure is this test available here or not. I'll talk to her GP to see how it is going. Thank you so much!

We haven't take the courese because I just start to do the research. If we take the course later, I'll post it here and let you know.
Your mum has been through so much. I’m sorry. Having chronic, unexplained health issues can make life quite challenging.

Trio-Smart is a relatively new test, so it might not yet be available in Australia. Dr. Nirala Jacobi is a naturopath and SIBO expert in Australia. I just did a search in the DuckDuckGo.com search engine for: Australia SIBO expert. Some potentially useful links popped up.

If your mum hasn’t seen a naturopath, it might be worth a try to see one. Such doctors see illness through a different lens than conventional doctors.

I also did the IBS-Smart test and learned I have post-infectious irritable bowel syndrome (PI IBS). It’s an autoimmune condition triggered by food poisoning. For me, it’s the underlying cause of the SIBO I had because this condition affects gut motility.

Best of luck with your research and with whichever direction you and your mum decide to take.
michaelzh
Contributor
Contributor

Post by michaelzh »

TheBrain wrote:
Trio-Smart is a relatively new test, so it might not yet be available in Australia. Dr. Nirala Jacobi is a naturopath and SIBO expert in Australia. I just did a search in the DuckDuckGo.com search engine for: Australia SIBO expert. Some potentially useful links popped up.

If your mum hasn’t seen a naturopath, it might be worth a try to see one. Such doctors see illness through a different lens than conventional doctors.

I also did the IBS-Smart test and learned I have post-infectious irritable bowel syndrome (PI IBS). It’s an autoimmune condition triggered by food poisoning. For me, it’s the underlying cause of the SIBO I had because this condition affects gut motility.

Best of luck with your research and with whichever direction you and your mum decide to take.
Hi TheBrain, thank you very much for getting so much helpful information for me. I searched Dr. Nirala Jacobi online and she seems like locate in Sydney, but we're in Adelaide. But that's a really good news and perhaps we could do the test in Australia.

May I ask what's your main symptoms for SIBO? And how did you do the Trio-Smart test? Is it a blood test?

We haven't seen any naturopath, and we don't have any idea about them. Maybe we are rely too much on the conventional doctors. The naturopath makes us feel like health care rather than medical treatment. But thank you for your recommendation, we will try.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

In addition to the valuable investigation that TheBrain has suggested, it seems that almost any cause of sinus/stuffiness issues can lead to various degrees of brain fog.

My years-long brain fog was mostly ameliorated by getting nasal cultures to investigate the cause of my sinusitis. If your mother has sinus symptoms along with brain fog, I would add this to the diagnostic options. Conventional medicine did nothing to help my sinusitis. I tried one or two antibiotics but they didn't do anything. The nasal culture determined just what organism was overgrown and included an antibiotic sensitivity report, so I could be put on the proper antibiotic for my specific colonization, which was MRSA. That's important due to all the antibiotic resistence going on. I then used a compounded nasal spray containing EDTA (to break up the biofilm) along with the antibiotic. This way the antibiotic didn't go through my digestive tract (except perhaps for some that may have gone down my throat). Some nasal colonizations likely make their way into the brain, which may be the brain fog link, and/or the brain fog arises from diminished oxygen intake due to swollen sinuses.

I also have ruled out allergies as a cause of this symptom, but I do have non-allergic sinus symptoms that have a neurovascular origin and can be triggered by environmental, dietary and other inputs. I find that in addition to avoiding these triggers to the degree I can, a once or twice daily sinus rinse with appropriate saline and baking soda, plus xylitol to prevent drying, helps control this.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
michaelzh
Contributor
Contributor

Post by michaelzh »

circular wrote:In addition to the valuable investigation that TheBrain has suggested, it seems that almost any cause of sinus/stuffiness issues can lead to various degrees of brain fog.
Hi Circular, thank you so much for your valuable suggestions. As I remembered, my mum didn’t have sinus issues before, but I’ll check with her and request a medical check from doctor. We don’t want any possible chance go.

Actually, the most challenge part is it’s very hard to involve a doctor into the investigation. We had seen many doctors before, but they said currently there are no effective ways to prevent or treat this kind of diseases. I really hope one doctor could link all these information together and give us a try.

May I ask how do you find a doctor to investigate and perform all these examinations? Thanks!
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

michaelzh wrote:
TheBrain wrote:

Hi TheBrain, thank you very much for getting so much helpful information for me. I searched Dr. Nirala Jacobi online and she seems like locate in Sydney, but we're in Adelaide. But that's a really good news and perhaps we could do the test in Australia.

May I ask what's your main symptoms for SIBO? And how did you do the Trio-Smart test? Is it a blood test?

We haven't seen any naturopath, and we don't have any idea about them. Maybe we are rely too much on the conventional doctors. The naturopath makes us feel like health care rather than medical treatment. But thank you for your recommendation, we will try.
My apologies for the delayed response. I've been distracted by a heel injury.

My main symptoms were belching after eating, bloating, and brain fog. Allison Siebecker is a SIBO expert and naturopath. Here she lists possible symptoms for SIBO, as well as conditions SIBO can be associated with: https://www.siboinfo.com/symptoms.html.

The Trio-Smart test is a breath test. A kit is ordered and delivered to one's home. The test is performed in the home (details instructions are provided). Then, the breath collection tubes are mailed to the lab that will process them. There are three types of gas that SIBO can potentially create: hydrogen, methane, and hydrogen sulfide.

In my experience, naturopaths are better at finding root causes than conventional doctors. In fact, in my experience, many conventional doctors only provide a diagnosis and one or more medications to address symptoms; they don't even try to find root causes. Of course, there are many exceptions; Dale Bredesen, MD, who is discussed a lot on this forum, is all about finding root causes of cognitive issues, as well as preventing symptoms and disease in the first place.
michaelzh
Contributor
Contributor

Post by michaelzh »

TheBrain wrote: My apologies for the delayed response. I've been distracted by a heel injury.
Hi TheBrain, thank you for your response and hope you are getting better now. According to your advices, I did some research on naturopathy clinic in Adelaide and I'll make an appointment for my mum.

Thank you so much for giving me such help and I'll keep updating.