Caution for 4/4 men: CAA

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
NewRon
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Caution for 4/4 men: CAA

Post by NewRon »

I've an appointment to meet a CAA doctor later this week.

Have there been any recent updates?
Apo E4/E4, Male, Age 60
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

I've an appointment to meet a CAA doctor later this week.

Have there been any recent updates?
You might feel better just ruling this out. From the End of Alzheimer's Program: "If this condition is suspected, then an MRI with a microhemorrhage sequence (MP-RAGE) is important to determine whether any indication of early, unrecognized bleeding has occurred."

As far as new developments—YES. A new review paper (once again) suggests that E4 carriers need MORE omega-3s. putting 4/4 men with CAA in a quandary. To my knowledge, high intake of low mercury seafood does not increase the risk of bleeding.

High Dose Omega-3s may Reduce risk for APOE4 Carriers
NewRon
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by NewRon »

Interesting...can't remember where I read it very recently (somewhere on this site?) but I think it was lipidologist Dr Dayspring who quoted some studies saying DHA had no effect on blood clotting (for the worse). That paper from 2017 by Yassine is somewhat superseded by his Attia interview in which he said all he could recommend was fish. I can't exactly remember his stance on fish oil.

The consultation was interesting, from the point of view that I was the first patient whom he's ever seen who wasn't symptomatic, so he's no idea what to do with me, if the scan finds microbleeds! Anyway, I'm having a scan in the next few weeks.
Apo E4/E4, Male, Age 60
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Interesting...can't remember where I read it very recently (somewhere on this site?) but I think it was lipidologist Dr Dayspring who quoted some studies saying DHA had no effect on blood clotting (for the worse). That paper from 2017 by Yassine is somewhat superseded by his Attia interview in which he said all he could recommend was fish. I can't exactly remember his stance on fish oil.
Great news about the scan. It will certainly offer you helpful information and hopefully offer reassurance that you needn't excessively worry about this. Yes, the whole fish oil/blood thinning effect is in tremendous flux. Increasingly, surgeons are no longer recommend getting off of fish oil before surgery, which I found pretty shocking. You can read a good summary of the science here. I recently took a dive into the evidence surrounding the effect of fish (and other seafood) on blood viscosity and could find no evidence that actual fish thins the blood which is a decent alternative for men who fall into this category as their higher need for omega-3s remain. Finally, I listened to the interview with Dr. Yassine and Peter Attia and found the recommendations for E4 carriers to be VERY conservative. (Peter is actually pretty apologetic about this in his intro.) Also, Dr. Yassine was not looking at the issue through the lens of increased risk for CAA and intracranial bleeds.
NewRon
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by NewRon »

Julie,

First of all, thank you for that information.

Secondly, I must hasten to advertise to all that I am in no way knowledgeable on this, or any subject, medically and anything I've said or inferred is my own un(medically)educated opinion.

I wish I could find the Dayspring references but I can't. They support your evidence. I'm sure someone here will pop up with them soon.

Anecdotally, on blood thinning, as a male who shaves (facially!) using a Gillette (product placement alert!) razor most mornings, I had noticed that using 1 gram of fish oil daily, in conjunction with various supplements (curcumin, pycnogenol etc), that I had noticed an increase in the degree of micro-cuts/facial bleeding. That substantially stopped when I ceased using the supplements other than fish oil. I subsequently increased my fish oil to 2g/day without any substantial reoccurrence of the facial micro-bleeds after shaving.
Apo E4/E4, Male, Age 60