Alzheimer's Cure ?

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
J11
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Alzheimer's Cure ?

Post by J11 »

Tiramisu1984, keep us updated on the liraglutide.
I intend to ask about it at the next doctor's appointment.

This is one of the most advanced off the shelf dementia that I can recall over the last 10-15 years.
It came out of nowhere. I think I have come across it before, though I was not aware of its background story.

It is fairly embarrassing now to think of some of the less researched products that we have considered.
Liraglutide is a multi-billion dollar, FDA approved drug that has been on the market for almost ten years, is prescribed to people
for weight loss, and one million Americans have taken it. The current statements that we are considering are from a PI with a PhD who considers that the phase 2 Alzheimer trial has already proven at least stabilization of patients.

We are quickly entering a world in which high quality highly plausible FDA approved dementia drugs might be available.
Those who are yet to enter the cognitive decline stage of dementia are in such a fortunate position.
{It really does make we wonder, though, whether there should be law requiring approved drugs to go through an Alzheimer screen. It is fairly astonishing how many of these approved drugs for other indications keep popping up.}

This is a multi-billion dollar drug.
People with obesity are prescribed it.
Some of the reports were talking about one million Americans who have been prescribed it.
This is a large drug.

Oh, and there is savings card, pay no more than $25 out of pocket for a prescription.
https://www.victoza.com/get-started-usi ... -card.html

I will certainly be watching the second quarter sales for victoza.

In terms of the risks. The FDA has avoided making aggressive claims about its risks because it appears that
the cancer risk had at least something to do with dosing the mice at 7 times the humans dosing. Further the
research found that mice had a specific susceptibility to GLP-1 cancer.

Also there are biomarkers that might be helpful to monitor risk and new therapies have been introduced for
medullary thyroid cancer.

The background research also talked of how certain specific subgroups appeared to carry much of the excess risk
for pancreatitis including those with alcohol dependency etc.
J11
Contributor
Contributor

Post by J11 »

Noticed that wiki has quite a list of Glucagon-like peptide-1 receptor agonists.
All of them appear to be injectables.

Impressive how much research has been done with this class.
A large trial with semaglutide is ready to report reduced cardiovascular events in those with diabetes.
some talk that this one might at some point go to oral dosing.

https://globenewswire.com/news-release/ ... trial.html

It would be so helpful if there were a pill version of one of these GLP-1 agonists.

Sitagliptin is an oral medication, though not quite the right type. Perhaps this shows that an oral GLP-1 might be doable.

http://www.januvia.com/sitagliptin/janu ... ndex.xhtml
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22186413
Last edited by J11 on Thu May 12, 2016 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Sitaglipitin is in fact an inhibitor of the enzyme that breaks down incretin. So it works at a different place in the incretin pathway. Not the same.
aequalsz
Contributor
Contributor

Post by aequalsz »

MadGirl
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Alzheimer's Cure ? What Tanzi et al are doing!

Post by MadGirl »

I too am curious about Victoza!

Spend some time on the CureAlz website. Under "events" you can watch the 2015 October symposium and Dr. Tanzi's presentation is well worth the time.

Tanzi and his group are currently using the "Alzheimer's in a Dish" method to test thousands of already approved FDA drugs. In fact, he specifically states that they have already identified at least one class of FDA approved drug that works in the scenario. It would be very interesting to know what class (or classes) of drug to which he is referring.
The next step is the slow one - then going to mouse models - but still this is exciting news! And when they get to human trials I am hoping that my husband is still doing well enough to participate.

CureAlz is very impressive. 100% of all donations go to fund research - the board personally pays for the administrative cost of running the foundations. 2 big breakthroughs in the last few years have come from CureAlz funding and Tanzi's work: 1)Alzheimers in a Dish and 2)Microbial cause of amyloid beta (I know that others theorized this already, but having it go "mainstream medicine" is a very important step in getting to a cure, especially with the increase in funding from Congress).

We lost a friend and an amazing person last week to Alzheimers and in his honor I'm going to make a donation to CureAlz.
Leaguema
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Leaguema »

I’m a little late to this party but I’m new to the forum and just came across this thread. I’m 47 years old and have been taking Lirglutide for 1 year to fight obesity. I have lost almost 40 lbs. (187 lbs. to 149 lbs. - I’m 5’1” tall) I can tell you that the side effects are REAL, but they are only really bad when you first start taking the drug. It, by no means, allows you to continue to eat unhealthy foods - and it is, in fact, those unhealthy foods that bring on the nausea and diahhrea that are the most frequently reported side effects. I’m part of a Facebook support group and nearly everyone taking the medication is following a low carb lifestyle.
J11
Contributor
Contributor

Post by J11 »

Whoa! That's how it rolls in the big city!
Just -- yeah we're going to directly to phase 3s, with 3700 patients.
Are there any questions?
Yeah!

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT ... w=2&rank=1
https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT ... w=2&rank=2