Chronic Inflammation as a contributor to Alzheimer’s

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Chronic Inflammation as a contributor to Alzheimer’s

Post by circular »

Really Katie? Wow, no doctor has recommended a carotid ultrasound for my ocular migraines! I'll ask for that next if the MRI doesn't illucidate. Have had them for years now in my left eye. Long ago CAT scan was clear and that's all that's been checked.

alysson, me scared. I think I'm going to have inflammation, but also suspect that in our world, or among e4s at least, this would be common. Goal is to find out baseline before treating CIRS with VIP after testing low in VEGF. Also wondering if they'll be able to see spread to my brain from the chronic, multiple, antibiotic resistant sinus infections. I guess I feel hopeful that it will get me further down the treatment pathway.
Last edited by circular on Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

{Circ} I'd be scared, too. But it will be good to know where things stand from a treatment perspective. If you can, try to focus on those hopeful thoughts. I suspect that waiting for Wednesday might seem like an eternity.
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
mimik67
Contributor
Contributor

Post by mimik67 »

Julie

Congrats on your improving markers! Did Dr. Schweig look at other infections that may be influencing your TGFbeta1? There are other infections that can run this number up. I have heard viruses (EBV and others) and Chlamydia Pneumonia. These bugs can linger when your gut immunity is low which given your previous SIBO status may be the case? Dr. Patel goes after a lot of other infections to improve labs before he puts many patients on VIP nasal spray and has had success boosting MSH to 70-80!

You can always email me if you want more info on Dr. Patel. FWIW, Dr. Schweig's office referred me to Dr. Patel two years ago when i had a tick bite. Dr. Patel has learned a LOT in the past two years about how to get the MSH level up!!

Julie, Also have you tested your home for mold? and do you have a HERTSMI score for your home? (re: TGFBeta)

Also wondered how the SIBO treatment went for you? Did you make strides there? Thanks for any info.
3,4 but no family history of Altzheimers. However, mother likely had CIRS
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

There's a new type of genomics test to better identify causes of brain and other infections. While our CIRS tests are useful, this could be really helpful in intractable cases, at least.

The brain one featured in this article is still being studied, but docs will soon be able to order it. I wonder if Dr. Bredesen knows about it.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... book-Share
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

SusanJ wrote:Circ, children are less able to handle trauma, and girls in particular. Ever wonder why autoimmune (AI) disease effects women more than men? The ACEs study showed that women with childhood trauma were more likely to be hospitalized in order to be treated for an autoimmune disease. How likely? For every ACE score a woman has, the likelihood increase by 20%. Three scores, it's 60%. For men, it's in 10% increments...
Susan I've been meaning for some time to thank you for this long post explaining more about ACEs. I'm a 3er. I thought of it again this afternoon when leaving an appointment with a new rheumatologist who says early inflammatory arthritis of unknown type may explain my many and increasing joint problems that I've been attributing to hypermobility (which I do have), pending some additional lab work. She used the biologics and disease modifying therapy words with me :!: :evil: although she did say sometimes they're not needed early on. I hope it doesn't come to that as a recommendation. I don't think I could possibly comply after watching the course of overall health in people who go this route; on the other hand I can't say I have an evidence-based alternative. I guess I'll cross that bridge if I find myself facing it :?
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

circ, sending some hugs.

Two things.

Wait for the lab tests to see what is next. If your RF and ANA is low, they don't typically go to DMARDs and the like.

Do you take probiotics? I know some influence Th1 response, which will increase joint pain. Here's what I found:
Of the ten LAB cells extracts, six extracts (L. bulgaricus, L. plantarum, S. thermophilus, L. delbrueckii, L. casei, and L. acidophilus) significantly induced TH1 immune polarization.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4662138/
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

And personally, I have a love-hate relationship with plantarum. For me, it can reduce histamine symptoms quite well (because it polarizes the immune response toward Th1) but I can only take it for a few days at a time before it causes joint pain. :(
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

Circ -

The Anti−cyclic citrullinated peptide (anti-CCP) blood test is considered the most accurate at predicting risk for joint damage in rheumatoid arthritis. Folks diagnosed with RA with negative anti CCP tend to have less damage. Good luck!
Slacker
E4/E4
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

Hi Circ,

Sorry I have no helpful info to add but do send you my best wishes for good outcome on your test tomorrow.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Thanks all, and great heads up about the Th1 and probiotics Susan! I thinks it's the anti CCP she's testing among other things. It could all just be the stupid EDS but with family hx of autoimmune I thought maybe I should investigate it more and she agreed.