Chronic Inflammation as a contributor to Alzheimer’s

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Chronic Inflammation as a contributor to Alzheimer’s

Post by SusanJ »

For anyone who missed the original thread, here it is.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=606&p=18050&hilit=C ... +Disrupted

And a good overview of the study.

https://acestoohigh.com/2012/10/03/the- ... ty-clinic/
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Thank you for resurrecting that thread, Susan. Your book recommendation jogged a memory for me. I just reviewed my encounter notes with Dr. Schweig and see that he recommends it for me as well- w.o.w. Some people need to be hit in the head before they're ready ;). I'm downloading now. The mind/body connection is very real. I need to do more work here.

Circ, my thyroid antibodies are only slightly elevated; thyroglobulin antibodies: 2 IU/mL (reference: < or =1 IU/mL) & thyroid peroxidase antibodies: 9 IU/mL (reference: <9 IU/mL.) They've never been elevated before. I've recently began sprinkling sea vegetables (iodine) on my greens- broccoli, spinach, kale to support my suboptimal thyroid. Coincidence? Maybe. I'm also living in a house we're renovating and have recently been exposed to mold, etc. Both of these can trigger Hashi's. I'm paying attention. Interestingly, my thyroid function is MUCH improved using a tiny dose of WP Thyroid medication (1/4 of a 65 mg tablet, b.i.d.)

My test results are slowly trickling in and things seem to be moving in the right direction. My biggest success so far is with MSH. I know from listening to CIRS experts that this is the one biomarker that is the most stubborn and last to change... if ever. Mine has gone from 5 to 8 to 23 (Shoemaker Reference: 35-81 pg/mL.) Major. My TGF Beta-1 is improved by 200 points, still crazy high at 7120 (reference: 344-2382 pg/mL.) I can't get a handle on my Babesia progress because Quest may have begun reporting results differently. My last test was 1:1024 (reference: <1:256.) This test simply reports HIGH, >1:256, perhaps using this as a cut-off as opposed to reporting real numbers. Lots of love to my fellow CIRS warriors. Keep fighting.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Julie, somehow I missed your reply. It's great news your thyroid function, MSH and other markers have improved. I think you will conquer this beast. I just thought of you when finding this article about lyme. Maybe there will be something of interest you don't already know? I didn't have time to read it all ...

I also came across something from Gundryland about lectins assisting viruses getting a foothold, but didn't note where I saw that. Have no time for shallow dives these days, let alone deep ones, but this might be an important link if it can be substantiated.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

This article summarizes technical breakthrough for better researching astrocytes and their inflammatory role in the brain.

Dr. Casini touches on astrocytes in her interesting interview with Rhonda Patrick on senescent cells. Rhonda comments that there are many more astrocytes then neurons in the brain.
Russ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Russ »

circular wrote:This article summarizes technical breakthrough for better researching astrocytes and their inflammatory role in the brain.

Dr. Casini touches on astrocytes in her interesting interview with Rhonda Patrick on senescent cells. Rhonda comments that there are many more astrocytes then neurons in the brain.
Just wanted to note that I listened to Rhonda Patrick's interview with Dr Campisi yesterday and it was truly exceptional. Like most of Patrick's podcast, ridiculously dense, but this stuff on senescent cell work by Dr Campisi seems really important for neurological health. Gonna probably have to listen a few more times to "get it" soundly. Want note that they had some discussion about extended cycle fasting as a tool - consistent with many discussions here, but more beginning to unveil actual underlying mechanisms. As much as I didn't get it all, I was actually left wanting more (esp on fasting).
Russ
E3/4
Eat whole, real, flavorful food - fresh and in season... and mix it up once in a while.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Agree Russ! Dr. Casini --- ooops Campisi --- also did the earlier interview with Rhonda about nightly fasts reducing breast cancer risk by almost 40%. Dr. Casini has an exceptional 'presence'. I could listen to her for hours.
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

Juliegee wrote:Circ, my thyroid antibodies are only slightly elevated; thyroglobulin antibodies: 2 IU/mL (reference: < or =1 IU/mL) & thyroid peroxidase antibodies: 9 IU/mL (reference: <9 IU/mL.) They've never been elevated before. I've recently began sprinkling sea vegetables (iodine) on my greens- broccoli, spinach, kale to support my suboptimal thyroid. Coincidence? Maybe. I'm also living in a house we're renovating and have recently been exposed to mold, etc. Both of these can trigger Hashi's. I'm paying attention. Interestingly, my thyroid function is MUCH improved using a tiny dose of WP Thyroid medication (1/4 of a 65 mg tablet, b.i.d.)
Julie, I'm taking Alan Christianson's online course called the Thyroid Reset Program. He says that excess iodine can actually trigger Hashimoto's in people who are susceptible to autoimmune disease (and seaweed is a potential source of excess iodine), similar to what you state above. Just thought I'd pass along confirmation from a well-respected thyroid expert. I never liked the taste of seaweed; now I don't need to feel guilty for not eating it. :)

Is there an end in sight for the completion of the renovations?
My test results are slowly trickling in and things seem to be moving in the right direction. My biggest success so far is with MSH. I know from listening to CIRS experts that this is the one biomarker that is the most stubborn and last to change... if ever. Mine has gone from 5 to 8 to 23 (Shoemaker Reference: 35-81 pg/mL.) Major. My TGF Beta-1 is improved by 200 points, still crazy high at 7120 (reference: 344-2382 pg/mL.) I can't get a handle on my Babesia progress because Quest may have begun reporting results differently. My last test was 1:1024 (reference: <1:256.) This test simply reports HIGH, >1:256, perhaps using this as a cut-off as opposed to reporting real numbers. Lots of love to my fellow CIRS warriors. Keep fighting.
Wow on the MSH! And it's good to see your TGF Beta-1 coming down. Keep up the great work.
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Oh no! After the second attempt at MRI + Neuroquant authorization, this time using the reason ocular migraines, it was approved! Now do I really want to know what my brain looks like :?: :!: :? Wednesday it is.
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by KatieS »

Ocular migraines justified for insurance coverage of the carotid ultrasound. My last episode was almost two years ago---brain healing, or more likely due to nifedipine.
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

Wow on the approval! I'll be thinking of you Wednesday. I hope your brain looks darn healthy on that test.
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!