Chronic Inflammation as a contributor to Alzheimer’s

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Chronic Inflammation as a contributor to Alzheimer’s

Post by circular »

Are there any HLA-DR experts who'd be willing to convert my labs to something I can make sense of? The LabCorp report no longer matches the example at Biotoxin Journey's Deciphering HLA DR Labs. It's Greek to me.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

Well, darn! I'm not an expert at all, and I suspect what I'll offer here won't help. But have you tried: http://www.myhousemakesmesick.com/hlacalc/

Maybe that calculator has been updated to match LabCorp's results. I know that biotoxinjourney.com isn't being updated.
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Thanks Brain! Wow did that make is easy! Here are my double susceptible results, no surprise! High five!

I had never heard that these haplotypes can be protective for autoimmune, how interesting and I see that as a big plus, all other environmental cues being equal.

I guess this rules out the lyme, babesia and other susceptible haplotypes that Biotoxin Journey mentions?

I feel I should mention that Dr. Ackerley didn't emphasize this testing due to the complicated interplay of genes and environment. I just got a very good deal on sale at Life Extention and was curious enough to finally order it. It really doesn't change much for me because my suspicion was high given my history and I'm already being mindful of mold within my means and also improving gradually over time.

http://www.myhousemakesmesick.com/hlaca ... 2=13-6-52C
13-6-52B and 13-6-52C

13-6-52B - Mold Susceptible

With regard to biotoxin susceptibility it is reported that this haplotype is statistically correlated with an increased susceptibility to biotoxins from mold1. Importantly, possessing this haplotype does not signify the presence of mold, mycotoxins or other related elements within the body nor is it an indication of past or present exposure. Rather it has been suggested that the immune system of those with this haplotype may be unable or less able to properly identify and eliminate toxins from mold2.

Disease Protection

✓ Elements of this haplotype are reported to be protective against Systemic Lupus Erythematosus3

✓ Elements of this haplotype are reported to be protective against Psoriasis3

✓ Elements of this haplotype are reported to be protective against Rheumatoid Arthritis3

✓ Elements of this haplotype are reported to be protective against Multiple Sclerosis3

✓ Research suggests that elements of this haplotype may have a protective effect against many autoimmune diseases3

13-6-52C - Mold Susceptible

With regard to biotoxin susceptibility it is reported that this haplotype is statistically correlated with an increased susceptibility to biotoxins from mold1. Importantly, possessing this haplotype does not signify the presence of mold, mycotoxins or other related elements within the body nor is it an indication of past or present exposure. Rather it has been suggested that the immune system of those with this haplotype may be unable or less able to properly identify and eliminate toxins from mold2.

Disease Protection

✓ Elements of this haplotype are reported to be protective against Systemic Lupus Erythematosus3

✓ Elements of this haplotype are reported to be protective against Psoriasis3

✓ Elements of this haplotype are reported to be protective against Rheumatoid Arthritis3

✓ Elements of this haplotype are reported to be protective against Multiple Sclerosis3

✓ Research suggests that elements of this haplotype may have a protective effect against many autoimmune diseases3

References
1. Surviving Mold, by Ritchie C. Shoemaker
2. The Genetics of Chronic Inflammatory Response Syndrome from Biotoxins, by Dr. David Ou - http://www.drdaveou.com/blog/?p=406
3. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/pmc4641944
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

Just a reminder that the HLA DR/DQ results are about risk, just like ApoE4. Not having a particular haplotype doesn't mean you won't get the condition, but are "less" susceptible.
Slacker
E4/E4
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

Circular, I'm so glad that worked! Wow, you have two mold-susceptible haplotypes. Even though you're not feeling too surprised, I am. I was more suspicious of the MARCoNS haplotype for you. But it's good that yours can be protective for those autoimmune diseases. I can't say the same for my two mold-susceptible haplotypes.

Even though I don't have a Lyme-susceptible haplotype, Dr. Ackerley suggested I do the DNA Connections test to rule it out. She said, however, it's not the priority now. The mold is.
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

slacker wrote:Just a reminder that the HLA DR/DQ results are about risk, just like ApoE4. Not having a particular haplotype doesn't mean you won't get the condition, but are "less" susceptible.
Yep Slack, that's why I posted the other verbiage in my results post, but maybe you're speaking to the wider community.

Brain, so you mean there are more than two different mold susceptible haplotypes :shock: ? I've only heard of having one or two of the dreaded mold haplotypes ... or are the dreaded ones specific ones, and if so, do I have those or a more 'acceptable' variety? Just when I thought it was making sense :lol:

Are mold susceptible and MARCoNS susceptible and lyme susceptible mutually exclusive or can you be susceptible to all three? It seems the calculator only helps extract the mold part? :?

OH, here's a very pretty chart, and at the bottom of the page in the 'footer' are links to the believed significance behind each haplotype.

I now see there are 'multisusceptible' mold haplotypes (oh yes, recall hearing that phrase), and I'm guessing these are the dreaded.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Brain, true, I have a gnarly, documented hx of MARCoNs, so I think it just goes to show that we shouldn't be too literal, and it underscores Dr. Ackerley not emphasizing the genetic tests given the clinical complexities. That said, if I ever buy another house I will pay for mold testing before committing. I wonder if she sees MARCoNS a lot in people who don't have the susceptible haplotype (ditto mold, lyme ...). I think it makes sense. There are probably other hampered pathways that could make resolving various biotoxin incursions challenging even without having the particular susceptible haplotypes?
Last edited by circular on Thu May 17, 2018 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

circular wrote:I now see there are 'multisusceptible' mold haplotypes (oh yes, recall hearing that phrase), and I'm guessing these are the dreaded.
Yep. Those are the dreaded ones.
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

circular wrote: Yep Slack, that's why I posted the other verbiage in my results post, but maybe you're speaking to the wider community.
Yes, wider community! :roll:
circular wrote: I now see there are 'multisusceptible' mold haplotypes (oh yes, recall hearing that phrase), and I'm guessing these are the dreaded.
The multi susceptible haplotypes are not just for mold, but ALL biotoxins.
Slacker
E4/E4
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

slacker wrote:
circular wrote: I now see there are 'multisusceptible' mold haplotypes (oh yes, recall hearing that phrase), and I'm guessing these are the dreaded.
The multi susceptible haplotypes are not just for mold, but ALL biotoxins.
That's what I thought. Thanks for the confirmation.