Interesting low-gi garbanzo bean variety

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
apod
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Interesting low-gi garbanzo bean variety

Post by apod »

I recently stumbled across some random "Award-Winning Omega-3-rich Cilantro + Jalapeno Sprouted Hummus" spread at whole foods. While checking out the nutrition facts label, I was surprised to see "Total Carbohydrates: 2g" with "Fiber: 2g" listed for each 2tbs serving -- zero net carbs? I was turned off by the safflower oil on the ingredients list, but for some random variety, I picked it up. Delicious stuff. :D

In doing more research, I looked into the Net Carb to Fiber ratios of various legumes and played with the recipe to see what I could come up with as a homemade alternative -- I couldn't get the net carbs down so low... especially not with Garbanzo beans. Perhaps they meant 2g net carbs + 2g fiber in a 2tbs serving.

In digging around some more, I discovered that there are different varieties of Garbanzo, with one in particular that is sold in India when the beans are smallest. With most of the anti-nutrients in the hull of the bean, it was surprising to read that this variety is sold hulled. Without the hull it is still very high in fiber (soluble?). The variety is a Chana Dal Split Bengal Gram.

David Mendosa has a great write-up here:
http://www.mendosa.com/chanadal.html
My initial reaction was to take Bengal gram dal out of the glycemic index, because the number was almost unbelievably low. It has almost no effect on your blood glucose level. This is something that is very important to anyone with diabetes and to many other people as well. Technically, it has one of the lowest indexes of any food on the glycemic index, 8 (where glucose = 100). Its index is 5 according to one study and 11 according to another.

By far the biggest difference between the two varieties was that chana dal has almost three times more fiber than garbanzo beans.

Many people in India use pressure cookers to prepare their chana dal.
It might be worth investigating if you're looking for some pressure-cooked (low lectin?) hulled, low-gi legume to include in the diet. I went ahead and picked up a few bags of the organic dried beans.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Interesting low-gi garbanzo bean variety

Post by circular »

Wow, thanks apod! I never really thought about what chana dal was and just threw them in the legume pile in my mind. If you don't know Indian food or don't look closely you could think they are lentils. Great tip.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
buck3Maureen
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by buck3Maureen »

Thanks so much. I will definitely pick some of this up and try it.
Nancy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Nancy »

I'm going to try these when I bring legumes back into my diet. Sounds like a great find. Thanks.

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Tapatalk