Yahoo! New Dr. Bredesen Paper with the hard data stuff ...

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Yahoo! New Dr. Bredesen Paper with the hard data stuff ...

Post by circular »

'Reversal of cognitive decline in Alzheimer's disease'

Can't wait to read ...
Abstract
Alzheimer's disease is one of the most significant healthcare problems nationally and globally. Recently, the first description of the reversal of cognitive decline in patients with early Alzheimer's disease or its precursors, MCI (mild cognitive impairment) and SCI (subjective cognitive impairment), was published [1]. The therapeutic approach used was programmatic and personalized rather than monotherapeutic and invariant, and was dubbed metabolic enhancement for neurodegeneration (MEND). Patients who had had to discontinue work were able to return to work, and those struggling at work were able to improve their performance. The patients, their spouses, and their co-workers all reported clear improvements. Here we report the results from quantitative MRI and neuropsychological testing in ten patients with cognitive decline, nine ApoE4+ (five homozygous and four heterozygous) and one ApoE4-, who were treated with the MEND protocol for 5-24 months. The magnitude of the improvement is unprecedented, providing additional objective evidence that this programmatic approach to cognitive decline is highly effective. These results have far-reaching implications for the treatment of Alzheimer's disease, MCI, and SCI; for personalized programs that may enhance pharmaceutical efficacy; and for personal identification of ApoE genotype. [Emphasis added]
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Lucy5
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Yahoo! New Dr. Bredesen Paper with the hard data stuff ...

Post by Lucy5 »

Thanks for posting, circ, this is exciting! I'm especially impressed that they included 5 homozygous participants in their study. Risky move, IMO, and suggests a true belief in the protocol.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Well put Lucy! If the mainstream media doesn't do more with this than the last one, I propose a march on NIH to bring it the attention it should get!
Nancy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Nancy »

Yay! Thank you!

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Tapatalk
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

I wonder why there aren't imaging results on 9 of the 10? I was sort of hoping they all had imaging results. I can just hear the skeptics claiming they must not have been favorable or they'd be included, but maybe they weren't done? Why?
Ruth
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Ruth »

Thanks for posting this!
Nancy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Nancy »

Hmmm

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Tapatalk
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

While I haven't read the paper yet, I think I can address your observation, Circ. This isn't a RCT. These are just 10 case studies comprised of folks who turned to Dr. Bredesen out of desperation. They often have assorted pieces of documentation and comply with follow-up testing to the best of their financial ability. I know he'd love the opportunity to have pre and post imaging, but very often financial and insurance constraints have prevented that. I think it's safe to assume that he's put together 10 success stories. He's got several RCTs set up for the near future- one with the Cleveland Clinic and one in the UK. It will be very exciting to see how his results hold up when put to a higher degree of scientific rigor.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Thanks Julie, I sorted that out and knew it wasn't RCT, but I didn't realize it was so hard to get images before treatment in someone who's clinically impaired, at least if they have insurance, which they may not, or they could have too high a deductible.

Very excited to here he has RCTs planned at locations! I was thinking he was still having a hard time getting them through IRBs. Go Cleveland Clinic - first major center to start a functional medicine arm. A good fit for him.