Monteluekast

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Stavia
Mod
Mod

Monteluekast

Postby Stavia » Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:26 am

Anyone know of anything about this in terms of adverse brain thingies?

My asthma has flared nastily this winter again after two back to back viral infections after we got back from Cuba. Last winter my asthma was so bad I was sitting on oxygen/salbutamol between patients cos was so wheezy and oxygen saturation was dropping to the 80s despite high dose prednisone.

Allergy clinic has started me on monteleukast (for you folks brainwashed on branding it's marketed as Singulair) as well as my usual inhalers.
As much as I hate taking drugs its better than prednisone. I hope. I took the first dose last night and didn't wake 5am breathless so that's good.
I think Julie takes it?

It's also very damp in my country in winter. Its impossible to un-dampify the houses here as central heating does not exist and our houses are wood and it rains the entire winter. So possibly mould allergy as well? I was negative for Aspergillus IgE which is all we can measure here. My bedroom is as spotless as I can manage and no visible mould and no curtains or other fabric except the bedding with dust mite covers. Brand new bed. Solid wooden floor. Walls look fine, recently painted. But it drops to sometimes 3 to 5 degrees Celsius overnight and did I mention no central heating?

I can't have the flu vaccine because anaphylaxis. Putting on weight because steroids and can't exercise because can't breathe and I'm sad about asthma so of course logically I'm eating bad things in order to feel better for a nanosecond then worse.

Thoughts? Monteluekast ok?

BerniF
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Monteluekast

Postby BerniF » Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:50 am

Hi Stavia
Sorry to hear your having a bad time, I'm afraid I can't help on the question of monteluekast but have you ever tried using a dehumidifier? They take the dampness out of the air and might help reduce your symptoms.
ApoE 3/4

Stavia
Mod
Mod

Postby Stavia » Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:46 am

Ya we run one. Its flipping noisy so only in the day. Sorry forgot to mention.

Russ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Russ » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:37 am

So sorry to hear. I had something similar after picking up a virus of some kind on vacation 26 years ago and I still remember it. Triggered asthma which I hadn't dealt with since childhood. Would wake up desperately gasping for air. Threw Singulaire, Albuterol and whatever else the doc had in his trick book at it. Took 3 months or so to get rid of it. I'm not sure why you're concerned about Singulaire, but I would do whatever it took to get air first then worry about side-issues.

Not sure there's a lot I would do differently knowing what I know today other than likely pushing immune system - e.g. throw in more/mix probiotics, supplement daily w cod liver oil (especially since it's winter for you), and maybe increase further dietary fiber (to further stimulate gut microbes). In other words, rather than focusing on directly killing what you don't want, grow more of what you do want and let them out-compete what you don't want. Maybe you have some other tricks that serve a similar function?
Russ
E3/4
Eat whole, real, flavorful food - fresh and in season... and mix it up once in a while.

Julie G
Mod
Mod

Postby Julie G » Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:56 am

(((Stavia))) I very occasionally use Monteleukast with excellent results. Recall, we even have some evidence that it may be GOOD for our brains. FWIW, I'm beginning to understand that unseen mold may play a big part in inflammation, especially TGF-Beta1. Even though my HLA haplotype (I'm re-testing to be sure) does NOT predispose me to mold sensitivity, my new doc is having me test my current & new house. I think you're right to be concerned about high humidity especially if that correlates with your asthma symptoms.

Russ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Russ » Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:01 pm

Stavia,

Although quite a bit more edgy, and I haven't looked into it myself, I have been super intrigued by this 2014 PNAS paper documenting strong positive effect on the immune system of an intervention of meditation, breathing and cold therapy....

Voluntary activation of the sympathetic nervous system and attenuation of the innate immune response in humans
Matthijs Koxa,b,c,1, Lucas T. van Eijka,c, Jelle Zwaaga,c, Joanne van den Wildenberga,c, Fred C. G. J. Sweepd, Johannes G. van der Hoevena,c, and Peter Pickkersa,c
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4034215/

I seem to recall that you are skeptical re cold therapy, and I realize that even trying to do the breathing technique here could be a non-starter in your present condition, but this paper looks very solid to me and I think I would look into it more myself if facing a severe immune system challenge, so didn't want to keep to myself. That said, this response seems to propose that maybe the whole thing was just a placebo effect...
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4819555/
So just think of it as another wacky idea to consider...

Russ
Russ
E3/4
Eat whole, real, flavorful food - fresh and in season... and mix it up once in a while.

Stavia
Mod
Mod

Postby Stavia » Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:16 pm

Ta Russ. Get immediate bronchospasm if I breath cold air so prolly not. I'm actually not convinced either way about cold shock stuff but it'll put me straight in an ambulance if I try it. I already do mindfulness meditation. And I do not think the science behind Buyteko or others of its ilk are convincing IF there is no emotional trigger to the asthma. I don't think there is in me, I think this needs drugs.
But thanks for caring :). Really appreciate it.

Julie thanks honey. Just trying to cover all bases and avoid prednisone. I'm usually great over summer asthma wise and off all inhalers. Its definitely viruses and cold air that are triggers (and cats lol). Summer here can be wet too so not sure if mould is a trigger but trying to cover all bases. I guess a few months of monteluekast is ok. But I still may need pred. Woke up this morning feeling like an elephant is sitting on my chest.

PS. Saw the previous thread. Reassuring. I don't think its lectins cos I eat heaps of tomatoes etc in summer cos they in season and my asthma is gone in summer.

Tincup
Mod
Mod

Postby Tincup » Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:32 pm

Stavia,

So here is how I'd try to sort on this, if it were me. I'd likely water fast for a number of days (5?) to see if any improvement. If so, then a food component could be indicated and you'd need to figure out which one(s). If no improvement, then I'd rule out food.

Next, I'd try to locate a different house/building to sleep in that I knew did not have any mold issue. Again for a number of days. This would help rule in/out mold.

Lastly, I've played with Buteyko a bit. When I first started, my Control Pause (CP) (see http://www.buteykoclinic.com/test-your-breathing.php and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWUxOGTDd3s) was 15 seconds - not great. Through training, I've managed to increase it to over 30 seconds (just tested myself). This does make a difference. The whole concept is that CO2 is a relaxant and by increasing serum CO2, spasms are less likely to happen. One way I've noticed this is if I get hiccups. I exhale and then hold my breath out. The hiccups typically go away in short order. If you want to pursue, I have plenty of material on this I can provide via email.
Last edited by Tincup on Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tincup
E3,E4

Tincup
Mod
Mod

Postby Tincup » Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:33 pm

This was a duplicate - system error.
Tincup
E3,E4

Stavia
Mod
Mod

Postby Stavia » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:52 pm

Thanks George. You are very kind to care and try help troubleshoot.

Nope not food. Eating the same boring food every day and less lectins actually cos its winter. Its two back to back viruses and cold ambient air. Viruses and cold air are potent triggers for my asthma.

Nothing is centrally heated here so there is nowhere dry to move to unless I go back to Cuba lol
I was perfect chest wise until I got the first virus so its prolly not my bedroom. Its a very solid 70s cedar house with no leaking anywhere so there won't be any mould in the walls. Its likely to be as good as it gets here in my city. There wont be anything better. I wish there were.....tonight I am going to try sleep with a heater on. But the whole house temperature drops overnight. You guys don't know what it's like to walk into a tiled bathroom at 3 degrees in the night to pee. Instant bronchospasm. And then I have to go outside to my car at 7am.

I saw Buteyko in its first iteration and don't believe its a valid intervention for an allergen (including viral antigens) driven severe asthma.

Return to “Prevention and Treatment”