Cannabinoids remove plaque-forming Alzheimer's proteins from brain cells

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Lucy5
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Cannabinoids remove plaque-forming Alzheimer's proteins from brain cells

Post by Lucy5 »

Thanks, Theresa...excellent resource! Especially timely for me as I just started doing some research for a family member having health issues and now stress layered on top. Really appreciate all the the effort and thought you put into this.
Ski
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Ski »

Great job Theresa. Im conflicted by the information on whether one needs both THC and CBD for the neuroprotective effects or is CBD alone sufficient?
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

Ski wrote:Im conflicted by the information on whether one needs both THC and CBD for the neuroprotective effects or is CBD alone sufficient?
As I tried to convey in the wiki, CBD seems to help with more health concerns of interest to ApoE4 than THC does: inflammation, insulin resistance, stress, sleep (although THC in combination with CBD seems to be the best answer here), and hormonal balance. All of those feed into neuroprotection/brain health.

I THINK (remember one layperson’s opinion) that CBD is more important. Most of the studies I found (in the deeper dive section – Cannabinoids and Alzheimer’s) seemed to address CBD’s protective qualities, not THC, but then maybe that’s because research with CBD is easier? Research does indicate that THC has qualities that might help with plaque clearance and regaining brain “youth,” but recognize those studies have been mice studies which don’t always translate to humans.

I know Dr Nasha Winters, an integrative oncologist and co-author of “The Metabolic Approach to Cancer” recommends CBD but not THC for brain cancer patients. She gets a lot of information from her biochemist husband. He works at one of the independent testing labs certified by the Colorado Marijuana Enforcement Division. He recently gave a presentation on CBD at a conference which was, as described in the Heads up Health podcast interview with Dr Winters as a “drop the mike” presentation. I hope it was recorded because I’m dying to find it and listen to it, but I’m not sure it was.

CBD is certainly easier to get obtain. THC dosage seems to be critical when trying to gain the proper medical benefit, whereas, if a person takes too much CBD, as long as it’s a quality product, there’s not much of a down side except for the expense and possible gastrointestinal issues, which I understand only comes with very high doses.

Personally, I’m leery of THC products out there because the lack of regulation. It’s not your grandpa’s marijuana anymore. Marijuana has been cultivated with significant THC increase since the 1960s and is being grown for max production/sales inducing who knows what other contaminants. I know here in Colorado, where both recreational and medical marijuana is legal, there have been product recalls due to pesticide content. So grow your own organically, but a “byproduct” of those growing their own marijuana indoors can be mold and we know mold is brain toxic.

Okay, this is just one anecdote, but earlier this year my hairdresser’s father (late 50s or maybe early 60s) smoked some marijuana and shortly thereafter suffered a seizure where he severely dislocated his shoulder. He had no history of seizures. He was a regular, lifelong marijuana user. Did he get a product with “something extra” that didn’t work well with his body or was this simply a coincidence, we’ll never really know.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
Ski
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Ski »

Ah thanks for the detailed response....that confers with my interpretation of the literature.
simonh01
Contributor
Contributor

Post by simonh01 »

TheresaB wrote: And oh by the way, his CBD product is called NatureCBD, the ingredients are: Hybrid-nanoengineered CBD – 10 mg, Curcumin 100 mg, Magnesium 100 mg, Lemon Balm 90 mg, Ashwagandha 100 mg
Pretty sure he is going to stop selling this product because of all the legal hassles. It is pretty expensive as well. If you are in a legal state I would look at a high quality vaping cbd solution if you have the access.

https://dosist.com/pen-sleep/

Podcast with dosist owner

https://player.fm/series/mind-pump-raw- ... st-century
Simon
ε4/ε4
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

I tried to purchase a second bottle of Ben Greenfield’s NatureCBD product, but it was no longer available. He provided a link to https://www.biocbdplus.com, where I bought a bottle of BioCBD+. It costs around $100 plus shipping for 30 gel caps. It uses the same means of making the CBD more bioavailable as Ben’s product did. The bottle says you can take up to six gel caps. Uh, I don’t think so. I’d have to be wealthy to spend $600+ a month on CBD.

I live in NC, so medical marijuana is not legal here. I love living here, except I very much miss having a medical marijuana card in Colorado (and I miss many other aspects of living in Colorado).
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!