Cannabinoids remove plaque-forming Alzheimer's proteins from brain cells

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Re: Cannabinoids remove plaque-forming Alzheimer's proteins from brain cells

Post by TheresaB »

alysson wrote:Have you tried finding a cannabis-savvy doctor?
I have not, but thank-you for the suggestion. There’s a website (geez, EVERYTHING is on the internet) called Weedmaps http://www.weedmaps.com that not only directs a person to marijuana dispensaries and brands, but also to doctors in Colorado. If you knew my background, you would laugh heartily at me even considering this.

While I tried to keep my posts in this thread applicable for general ApoE4 consumption, my personal struggle is a fine tightrope: trying to control my pain enough to keep active for sanity purposes and in order to reap the benefits of exercise for general health/ApoE4 issues i.e. increase BDNF, cardiovascular health, regulating AMPK through Muscle-derived IL-6, yada, yada, yada, without screwing up the strategies I’ve adopted for my ApoE4 status. We all face unique challenges.

We have a rolfer in the suburb where we live and Boulder isn’t too far away, will investigate. Again, thank-you
alysson wrote:I'm sorry to hear about your foot pain. Did it all begin with an injury of some kind?
No injury, a few years ago I developed this painful bump on the outboard side of my foot below my little toe during a ski season when I was blissfully skiing more than I ever have before. It was diagnosed as a bunionette (bunionettes develop on the outside of the foot, bunions develop under the big toe). I had a surgery with “a high success rate” (ha!) and two subsequent corrective foot surgeries. I was also just diagnosed with arthritis in both hips, :( likely aggravated by my mechanics being thrown off due to foot issues. So I’m challenged. Down but not out, with the exercise prong of the multi-pronged strategy of keeping dementia at bay.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

Sorry to keep posting, but I keep learning new things. Hubby passed this write-up on to me and it’s a better tutorial than the one I attempted a few posts ago. https://bengreenfieldfitness.com/2015/0 ... e-cbd-oil/

It was written by Ben Greenfield and if you are not familiar with Ben Greenfield, he is an ex-bodybuilder, ironman triathlete, speaker, author of 13 books, blogger, and podcaster. I don’t follow him but if you google “top health podcasts” his is often listed. He also sells supplements (including a CBD oil among many other things) as well as various gadgets for fitness and alternative medicine, i.e. sleep aid devices, mental performance, muscle recovery, etc.https://bengreenfieldfitness.com/

In this write-up I learned 3 new things:
  • 1. CBD is not addictive.
    2. You can’t overdose on CBD
    3. To reap the benefits, CBD must be taken in a bioavailable form
His write-up is pretty lengthy, so I won’t summarize, but I will point out that of the areas of interest to ApoE4s that he says CBD can be beneficial:
  • balancing hormones, specifically lowering cortisol
    lowering insulin levels
    reducing stress and anxiety
    reducing inflammation
    improving sleep
And he lists many PubMed studies to back up these assertions. If you want more info, go to the above link

Taken from his own summation in the article:
• CBD is the 100% legal and non-psychoactive form of marijuana, and can actually combat unpleasant effects of smoking weed, such as paranoia or over-excitability…
• CBD acts on completely different receptors and enzymes than THC, resulting in significant effects on anxiety, depression and stress…
• CBD is completely safe and non-addictive…
• Pharmaceutical companies can't patent CBD unless they turn it into a synthetic chemical first…
• There are shocking demonstrations of the potency of CBD for several serious neurological conditions such as epilepsy, MS and cerebral palsy…
• CBD can also be used to balance hormones, reduce anxiety, lower inflammation and chronic pain, combat metabolic syndrome, and reduce obesity…
• It is very difficult for your body to absorb CBD, unless the CBD has been blended with curcuminoids and made bioavailable in a nanoparticle size… …
• You can legally purchase hemp-based CBD anywhere in America and in most countries of the world…
And oh by the way, his CBD product is called NatureCBD, the ingredients are: Hybrid-nanoengineered CBD – 10 mg, Curcumin 100 mg, Magnesium 100 mg, Lemon Balm 90 mg, Ashwagandha 100 mg
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

Theresa, keep the information coming! All of it, including your personal struggle with trying to control your pain enough to keep active, is relevant to people with ApoE4. Unfortunately, pain is all too common for folks, at least at some point in their lives.

I had never heard of a bunionette before. What a disappointment that the initial surgery failed and was followed by two additional corrective therapies. I'm sorry to hear about the arthritis in your hips. I can see how that could have developed as a result of your foot issues. BTW, Rolfing might help your hips as well.

I should add that if you look into Rolfing, you might consider seeing an advanced Rolfer; they have additional training and experience. The last several years I lived in Colorado, I was seeing one in Boulder. He worked on a Frankenstein-like scar I have at the base of my spine. (I had a pilonidal cyst removed there when I was 21 years old.) He significantly (and permanently, so far at least) opened up my tissue there. I didn't actually have pain with the scar, but in time, I might have. Scar tissue can build up over time, causing its own set of problems. I know people who had surgery just to remove scar tissue from previous surgeries.

I might experiment with CBD oil for my insomnia and anxiety if what I'm currently trying doesn't work. Ben Greenfield's product sounds like a great one (but I didn't check out the price yet).
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
buck3Maureen
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by buck3Maureen »

Also now legal in California, but they don't have the infrastructure set up yet- that is stores on every corner - that I see in Washington state, where it is also legal.
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

buck3Maureen wrote:Also now legal in California, but they don't have the infrastructure set up yet- that is stores on every corner - that I see in Washington state, where it is also legal.
You mean for CBD products that contain THC, CBD products derived from hemp that do not contain THC are legal anywhere, anyone can buy on-line. I talked a little about that in my first post on the 4th of June.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
buck3Maureen
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by buck3Maureen »

Not sure about all of the medical -- I know that that has been legal here for a while, but now recreational pot is legal.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

I wonder why Ben includes Lemon Balm, a calming herb, in his CBD oil. If CBD really reduces anxiety, which I don't doubt ... some other property in LB?

I have a small, so far asymptomatic bunionette on each foot due to the hypermobility in my foot joints. Better try to stop the progression somehow. Will look into this.

Theresa I'm sure you've thought about this ... exercise in pool? I'm in a similar boat to you vis wanting to exercise more than my musculoskeletal mechanics allow. Relating ...
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

buck3Maureen wrote:Not sure about all of the medical -- I know that that has been legal here for a while, but now recreational pot is legal.
Having recreation marijuana legal makes the medical marijuana (high CBD/low THC) more accessible, you don’t need a medical marijuana card to purchase it. That is, if they sell it. Since the high CBD/low THC content doesn’t get a person high, I’d imagine these products probably aren’t exactly cash cows for the dispensaries, so a person may have to do some searching to make sure the local dispensary carries the product they're looking for. But something I just learned is that you can go on-line and research the various products and find out which dispensaries sell them. I don’t know why I was surprised by this, some how I figured advertising any marijuana products would be illegal, maybe it is, as use is per federal law, just not enforced. :?: I don’t know.

This begs the question, if it’s the CBD that is the key healing ingredient, and CBD only/no THC products from Hemp (which can be certified as organic – no pesticides) and can be purchased freely without legal issues, why do we need CBD products with THC? I’ve read that there’s a “synergistic effect” of the two which better addresses certain conditions than just CBD alone. Hmm. :?: :?: The big unknown is where/when this synergy is needed vs when just CBD is adequate. If you have legal recreational marijuana, at least you can conduct N=1 experiments.

Hey, I just realized, shouldn't I be using this emoticon :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: more on this thread? :lol: :lol:
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Thought I'd link to a related thread I just started here. It seems apoe4 may play a differential role in the endocannibinoid system? but I don't really understand all this. There were other papers online about over-excitation of the ES being a problem with neurodegeneration, so I'm wondering if using cannibus products may be contraindicated if they're CB1 and CB2 agonists. Totally confused at this point.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

Due to a close family member’s current fight with cancer, I’ve been reading more about this subject and have been particularly interested in the works of Dr Nasha Winters, co-author of The Metabolic Approach to Cancer, lecturer, and CEO/primary consultant of Optimal Terrain http://optimalterrainconsulting.com/

I just listened to this podcast that interviewed her
https://paleovalley.com/podcast/ep89-th ... ha-winters
Just after the 38 minute point, she starts to discuss the endocannabinoid system and CBD (from hemp, no high, can be bought legally anywhere, including over the internet) and THC (from marijuana, produces a high, can only be purchased legally in some states).

At about 47:25 she says, “THC dissolves the blood brain barrier…CBD on the other hand heals the blood brain barrier.” Wish she had cited some studies. ~48:00 “But high dose CBD for things like traumatic brain injury, even brain cancer, or post-concussion, unbelievable [her emphasis] in healing the neurological function of the blood brain barrier and the protective aspects of it. So if you’re trying to do anything to support your brain, including things like dementia, Alzheimer’s, neurological diseases are the fastest growing condition in our country today, CBD is where you want to go. You want to limit or lower your ratio of THC for sure.”

Huh!
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4