L-serine research

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Nords
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

L-serine research

Post by Nords »

I don't usually find my peer-reviewed research in a Southwest Airlines in-flight magazine, but this article falls into the category of "I so want to believe."

http://www.jayheinrichs.com/blog/2016/9 ... -mysteries

Paul Cox's theory is that the amino acid L-serine prevents misfolded proteins and plaque tangles, perhaps only by virtue of interfering with another amino acid known as BMAA.

Skepticism is warranted, but in the meantime I guess I'll take giant fruit bats & flying foxes off my menu.
Author of "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement". Royalties go to military charities.
Co-author (with my daughter): "Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation FI."
To contact me, please send a PM.
NewRon
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: L-serine research

Post by NewRon »

Apo E4/E4, Male, Age 60
Nords
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Nords »

Thanks. This L-serine theory was proposed in 2002, and in 2016 they were very enthused about 14 years of work. Over two years later, the biggest accomplishment is a Phase I trial confirming that L-serine is generally regarded as safe to ingest.

It’d be great if they could report more of their research in peer-reviewed scientific journals instead of airline magazines and Fortune. (But I guess that's where they find their donors.) Maybe a statistically-significant Phase II trial would be easier to arrange after that...
Author of "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement". Royalties go to military charities.
Co-author (with my daughter): "Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation FI."
To contact me, please send a PM.
chrissyr
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by chrissyr »

from the Fortune article:

In the case of the L-serine conjecture, though, we should at least get a little more evidence, one way or another, next year. That’s when a pair of clinical trials currently underway in Hanover, N.H., are due for completion. Dartmouth’s Elijah Stommel is overseeing a Phase II trial of ALS patients taking 30 grams of L-serine a day, while his colleague Aleksandra Stark supervises a Phase II trial of Alz­heimer’s patients receiving the same dosage.
chrissyr
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by chrissyr »

Why do I want to just go on to Amazon and buy some L-serine after reading that article? He reports that Okinawans have 3x more in their diets
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Image from here.

30g from food would be tough.
Tincup
E3,E4
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

He reports that Okinawans have 3x more in their diets
I think the secret weapon is various marine algaes. (See Table one.) The daily intake for Ogimi women exceeds 8g per day. The therapeutic amount to slow the decline of ALS is 15g (twice daily) in this paper.

Traditional Food Items in Ogimi, Okinawa: l-Serine Content and the Potential for Neuroprotection
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5343079/
LG1
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by LG1 »

Thanks for posting, Tincup.

Cool, I already have dried egg white powder in my fridge.

Still bought the powdered L Serine though ;)
ε4/ε4
LG1
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by LG1 »

Julie G wrote:
He reports that Okinawans have 3x more in their diets
I think the secret weapon is various marine algaes. (See Table one.) The daily intake for Ogimi women exceeds 8g per day. The therapeutic amount to slow the decline of ALS is 15g (twice daily) in this paper.

Traditional Food Items in Ogimi, Okinawa: l-Serine Content and the Potential for Neuroprotection
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5343079/
Thanks Julie. It’s probably best to get from food when possible. There might be other ingredients working with the L Serine that help them absorb it more etc... although it looks like the supplementation also worked fine in the studies so far.

It is wonderful the studies aren’t constrained by the usual red tape and so we don’t need to wait 10 to 20 years for the outcome!
ε4/ε4
chrissyr
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by chrissyr »

Interesting! Maybe I'll be looking for some seaweed in my diet too. And for those of us who can tolerate soy, maybe there are advantages of that too. I agree it's exciting that the research can take different avenues at times, not driven by big pharma!