L-serine research

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Fiver
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: L-serine research

Postby Fiver » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:53 am

I love that the secret weapon is algae. :)

Just read these papers by coincidence and I really related to the story line, probably because of my love of ethnobotany.

It is interesting that the original cause was algae (cyanobacteria, or blue/green algae) that produce the toxin which was bio-accumulated up the food chain to the flying foxes. And one prevention could be seaweeds with high serine contents.

Who knows if this story is any different than the others which didn't pan out. But it makes some sense to me. This reminds me of the use of lysine to reduce outbreaks of hsv viruses, by shifting the balance of lysine vs arginine away from the amino acid the virus needs. Here the serine just prevents the toxic non-protein amino acid from getting into the protein chains and causing problems.

My cabinet is pretty full but this one seems to be worth following.
Reading studies, need coffee. All I know: it's beautifully terribly complex. It's really a miracle that any of it works at all. Being healthy, but sometimes this mess of billions of neurons has had enough avocados and just wants a crunchy cookie.

Its Me
Contributor
Contributor

Re: L-serine research

Postby Its Me » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:16 pm

Thanks all for posting. Earlier today I posted about the Fortune article over on the Our Stories forum and asked if anyone heard of this. And they pointed me here. Didn't realize it was such old news, yet trials are due. The list of foods is pretty much what I eat (except eggs), and I agree it'd be hard to get the amount from just food. Maybe move to Okinawa and eat tofu and seaweed and drink their water.

Return to “Prevention and Treatment”