Mold and mycotoxins

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Mold and mycotoxins

Post by TheBrain »

Plumster, thanks for posting your notes from Dr. Kelly’s talk. How awful that cholestyramine can cause liver failure! I wonder if Welchol has the same risk. It’s much less potent but, I believe, works in a similar way.

I periodically check out the Dynamic Neural Retraining System. I might pull the trigger one of these days. First, I’m going to incorporate deep breathing into my regimen and see if that can help me maintain a parasympathetic state more often.

Will you be embarking on the low amylose diet?
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Plumster »

Will you be embarking on the low amylose diet?
I think I will for a while. The hardest for me will be giving up brown rice and I do eat 5g of added sugar a day, which I know I shouldn't. If I can let go of these two . . . it should work for me. I do have an elevated MMP-9 and I know it is associated with neuro inflammation/destruction. I keep waiting for my test results to get in so that I know whether I still need to work on this or not. But I should probably just get started. To improve MMP-9, Shoemaker recommends on his site: low amylose diet and high dose Omega 3 fish oil supplementation (2.4g EPA and 1.8g DHA for 30 days.
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

Plumster, good luck on the low amylose diet. You can do it!
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
Plumster
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Plumster »

Thanks, Brain! Dr. Kelly did not indicate that Welchol was bad for you.

By the way, what was the result of your NeuroQuaint MRI and did you need to do a treatment?
e3/4 MTHFR C677T/A1298C COMT V158M++ COMT H62H++ MTRR A66G ++ HLA DR
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

Plumster wrote:Thanks, Brain! Dr. Kelly did not indicate that Welchol was bad for you.

By the way, what was the result of your NeuroQuaint MRI and did you need to do a treatment?
I'm glad to hear that about Welchol. Thank you. :)

My MRI w/ NeuroQuant showed happy hippocampi but atrophy in other areas, especially my total cerebral white matter and some structures in my temporal lobes. Per Dr. Bredesen, Type 3 Alzheimer's is associated with generalized brain atrophy, not only or even predominantly hippocampal atrophy. See CIRS/Type 3 AD and Generalized Brain Atrophy per Dr. Bredesen.

I've tried to gain understanding of what the white matter atrophy means, but have failed so far. It could be the mold toxicity. It could be hypoxia during sleep while living at high altitude. It could be the infant neglect I experienced to the point where I stopped thriving. It could be something I'm completely unaware of. Or, of course, it could be some combination of these factors.

I've been advised to try VIP. Dr. Bredesen's recommends VIP for at least 6 months for those with atrophy like I have. My FM PA is now willing to prescribe VIP, but I need to be further along with this mold toxicity issue and I need to re-confirm that I don't have MARCoNS. If VIP fails me, then stem cell therapy is likely in my future. At this point, though, I'd probably need to travel outside the country for such treatment.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

TheBrain wrote:If VIP fails me, then stem cell therapy is likely in my future. At this point, though, I'd probably need to travel outside the country for such treatment.
Dave Asprey did a podcast about stem cells and he was able to get stem cell treatments in the US, at rather high cost though I think. This may have been the podcast, although it mentions prior ones with the same guests, so I'm not sure. It looks like there may be a whole series here for you.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

Thanks, circular. I'll definitely check out this podcast, as well as any prior ones I find. I watched a stem cell docu-series a while back and was quite astonished by what I learned.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

TheBrain wrote:Thanks, circular. I'll definitely check out this podcast, as well as any prior ones I find. I watched a stem cell docu-series a while back and was quite astonished by what I learned.
After hearing that you were astonished by what you learned in the stem cell docuseries, I checked to see if you had posted about that. Indeed, you have.
Thanks.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
AfternoonJones
New User
New User

Post by AfternoonJones »

Hello community! I recently realized I carry one ApoE4 allele, and was looking over some of Dr. Rhonda Patrick's podcast notes with Dr. Bredesen regarding lowering risk factors for Alzheimer's. link can be found here https://podcastnotes.org/2018/10/07/bredesen/

I found that there is a recommendation to avoid "mycotoxins". After doing a quick google search, I learned that mycotoxins may include psilocybin and psilocin. Can anyone confirm that it may be a good idea to stay away from psilocybin and psilocin containing mushrooms if a person carries an ApoE4 allele?

Thank you kindly, Cailen
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

AfternoonJones wrote:Hello community! I recently realized I carry one ApoE4 allele, and was looking over some of Dr. Rhonda Patrick's podcast notes with Dr. Bredesen regarding lowering risk factors for Alzheimer's. link can be found here https://podcastnotes.org/2018/10/07/bredesen/

I found that there is a recommendation to avoid "mycotoxins". After doing a quick google search, I learned that mycotoxins may include psilocybin and psilocin. Can anyone confirm that it may be a good idea to stay away from psilocybin and psilocin containing mushrooms if a person carries an ApoE4 allele?
Hi Cailen, and welcome to our site.

It's possible that E4's are more sensitive to mycotoxins, but not "proven" to my knowledge. Mycotoxins are everywhere, with the amount of exposure of greatest concern, ie dose response. For example, mycotoxin exposure from living in a water damaged building is more likely to cause problems, especially if one has a genetic propensity for sensitivity (HLA DR/DQ test). I am multi-sensitive to biotoxins (not just mold) and most likely have mold illness from a water damaged home which is under remediation, while my husband appears to not be affected.

If you want to go down this rabbit hole, Dr Richie Shoemaker's website is a great resource. There is some disagreement if ingested mycotoxins are as bad for us as inhaled toxins.

If you rarely use mushrooms containing psilocybin and psilocin, your risk for toxin harm is probably lower.
Slacker
E4/E4