Mold and mycotoxins

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Mold and mycotoxins

Post by circular »

Yea alysson! I remember that feeling :) Apparently there’s some new type of NQ report available that Dr. Ackerley likes better than what Shoemaker uses because, at least in part, it has more information. Just FYI. She’s trying to get mine so I’ll try to get the name of it, but ai suppose one needs to know what to do with that information. My next appointment with her isn’t until March. Keep us posted.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

Yes, it’s a good feeling. I laugh at some of the things I get excited about these days. ;) Thanks for telling me about the new report. I’ll be sure to ask about it.
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

TheBrain wrote:Yes, it’s a good feeling. I laugh at some of the things I get excited about these days. ;)
I know what you mean! Gotta laugh, not cry, but at least it's all intellectually stimulating :roll:
[quote="TheBrain"Thanks for telling me about the new report. I’ll be sure to ask about it.[/quote]
I found I'd jotted it down during the appointment. It's Triage Brain Atrophy Report from Cortechslabs.
The NeuroQuant Triage Brain Atrophy Report provides physicians a quick reference and in-depth look on regional and global brain structure volumes, which could occur as a result of a brain injury or in neurodegenerative disease, by providing volume measurements of 44 brain structures for both the right and left hemisphere, total structure – all sorted by lobe and region.
I can well imagine the room for misinterpretation. I think the science behind brain imaging and CIRS is still in it's infancy. They've found patterns, but have they ruled out other possible causes for the same patterns? I don't think so. Have they looked at what percentage of a large control group have the same patterns? I don't think so. I think they have small studies that give them good reason to suspect certain patterns can correlate with CIRS symptoms/labs, and preliminary evidence showing things like VIP help, but I do feel like -- and am willing to be -- somewhat of a guinea pig in this particular adventure. I would put imaginary money on the CIRS trained folks being onto something.
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

Circ, thanks for the information about the Triage Brain Atrophy Report. I had my MRI with NeuroQuant yesterday and asked about it. No one I asked at the imaging center knows whether this report will be included. The MRI technician collects the images and makes sure they are good ones. Their radiologist writes a report about what he/she sees on the MRI. Then, my data gets sent off to Cortechslabs for the NeuroQuant analysis. The results will go to my doctor within two days, so I guess I’ll know soon enough.

I’m sure there is plenty of room for misinterpretation. You ask excellent questions. I’m also willing to be a guinea pig.

I had the opportunity to tell the the MRI tech’s young assistant about Dr. Bredesen’s book. She said her husband has a lot of Alzheimer’s in his family, and she’s concerned about it. She said she’s going to order the book.
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Nice you're on the other side of the MRI now Brain :) You could call or email Cortechslabs and ask for the Triage report, but you may first want to ask your doctor which one she wants. Cortechs automatically sent my doctor a briefer report, so she's not requesting Triage. It may have come out since my MRI was done, so maybe they now send it automatically?
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

I took your advice and called Cortechslabs. The customer support person I spoke with said that the Triage Brain Atrophy Report is for people with traumatic brain injury. Based on what I described about myself (Alzheimer's genetics and mold illness), she said that the reports that apply to me are the Age Related Atrophy Report and the General Morphometry Report. She said my data hasn't yet been submitted to their cloud software, so she suggested I call the imaging center to ensure that both reports are generated for me. I've called the imaging center and am awaiting a call back.

I asked her if any brain damage from my hypoxia during sleep for 3+ years while living at high altitude would show up on any of their NeuroQuant reports. She said no. The neurofeedback therapist I saw last year told me that the hypoxia I experienced could result in atrophy across the entire brain. So I'm surprised this wouldn't show up somehow in any NeuroQuant report. But what do I know?
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Thanks for that clarification! I suspect that Cortechs has to keep their statements to what is generally accepted in the literature. Since they do get paid through insurance companies, they probably stick to validated uses. Really don't know, but it's possible some practitioners are aware of newer or emerging research for a given report. That of course does diminish their utility from our standpoint as patients; i.e., a practitioner might use these reports 'off label' but be in some murky waters when it comes to interpretation.

I'm also reminded that I once posted a paper somewhere in the forum that was all about how inaccurate MRIs are. Should really find this and refresh my memory about what it said, to see whether it impacts my confidence in NeuroQuant.
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

Circ, please do post or link to the MRI study, if you find it.

The support person I spoke with did say that NeuroQuant has certain validated uses and mold illness isn’t one of them. However, some practitioners find NeuroQuant very helpful for mold illness. But with my question about possible brain atrophy from hypoxia, she didn’t make a similar comment.

I can certainly envision some practitioners being aware of emerging research for a given report. It can take a long while for such research to be validated.

I don’t think I’ll get my results this week. The imaging center was closed yesterday due to snow, and I suspect they’ll be closed today as well.
Jan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jan »

This is just a treasure trove of information, Alysson - thank you for posting. And so glad insurance went your way!
mrc cfnc fmchc
IFM/Bredesen Reversing Cognitive Decline training 2017
E2/E2
What is, is. What is, can be changed.
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

Jan wrote:This is just a treasure trove of information, Alysson - thank you for posting. And so glad insurance went your way!
Jan, thank you for saying this. I appreciate your appreciation. :)