Curcumin not as effective in APOE4

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
giftsplash
Contributor
Contributor

Curcumin not as effective in APOE4

Post by giftsplash »

Came across this study. Think it would add to the discussion since most of us are taking Turmeric based on mouse studies.
This study says it might not be as beneficial as we thought.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4026431/

In conclusion, we provide evidence that curcumin affects mitochondrial function and gene and protein expression in the murine brain despite its low bioavailability and carriers of the Alzheimer’s disease-risk genotype APOE4 may be less responsive to dietary curcumin than APOE3 carriers.
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Curcumin not as effective in APOE4

Post by slacker »

Interesting. I wonder if the results would be more positive for ApoE4 mice if given a higher dose of curcumin or a form that has greater bioavailability. Any N=1 human experiments out there in ApoE4.info land with improved cognition on some form of curcumin?
Slacker
E4/E4
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Me... and I'm a 4/4. Curcumin was the first supplement I began taking and it had a dramatic impact on my cognition, fatigue and overall body pain. FWIW, I began taking it to help deal with mast cell activation based upon studies like this. Anybody else get noticeable results with curcumin?
ERK
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ERK »

Juliegee wrote:Me... and I'm a 4/4. Curcumin was the first supplement I began taking and it had a dramatic impact on my cognition, fatigue and overall body pain. FWIW, I began taking it to help deal with mast cell activation based upon studies like this. Anybody else get noticeable results with curcumin?
I use it daily, to be honest it's not something I've had results from that I noticed (for example when I used to get migraines, taking curcumin did not help) but it's also something I will not give up as a supplement and in cooking (I love a seafood/oyster stew for example I put loads of turmeric in and my entire family is into using turmeric. Even our dogs get it daily (on their raw meat and bones diet).

As for being bioavailable, consuming it with fat is also supposed to be helpful in addition to bioperine.
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

Julie - thanks for taking my bait :D
Please remind me (and everyone else) which product and dose you are taking. If memory serves, it's a Longvida product. Other tribe members are taking a Terry's Natural product, but I believe it has Boswellia in it as well, and I was looking for something with curcumin only.
My FM doc recommended Enhansa Curcumin 600mg 2 pills twice a day for me, it is very pricy, and with all the other supplements and hormones I'm taking for AD prevention and cognitive optimization, I just can't swing it at this time. I've decided to go with NOW Meriva curcumin 500mg twice a day (less than half what was recommended for me). I've committed to take the fistfuls of pills and thigh-full of cream for 3 months and then re-evaluate, with professional assistance!
And yes, my husband thinks I'm a hypocondriac ;)
Slacker
E4/E4
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

LOL, I've met you, Slacker. I deem you "legit." Use me as a reference for your hubby ;). FWIW, I use Terry Naturally's Curamed. I was pretty fragile at the time I began supplementing and had to go through several brands that I was unable to tolerate before I found this one- no negative side effects; lots of benefits. I was clearly very inflamed and this calmed "something" down.
ERK
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ERK »

My ND has me on curapro.

Curamed looks great, will order some to try.
MAC
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by MAC »

Curamed 750

There is a TON of work ongoing with Curcumin, as it down regulates microglia activation, thought to be the root cause of amyloid AD.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25818332

A lot of the work is aimed at trying to enhance the bioavailability, as curcumin has difficulty crossing the BBB, mainly around synthesizing nano-particles as well as DIRECT injection into the brain. This is some "heady" stuff..LOL

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27426105
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21729743
MAC
E3/E4-59/MALE
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

I use Longvida Curcumin. Have tried many types (including Meriva) and find it works best to reduce pain and inflammation of RA for me. I take a fist full of supplements, but overall its effects seem to show in my labs for reduced hsCRP and IL-6 and I can tell when I don't take it.

I'm a 3/4.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Ditto re: Longvida and pain control and not getting the same effect from other forms of curcumin.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.