Message from Food Revolution Network and Dr. Greger

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
marty
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Message from Food Revolution Network and Dr. Greger

Post by marty »

Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Message from Food Revolution Network and Dr. Greger

Post by Stavia »

Thanks Marty. Im sure there are many members who wish to explore their options in this direction.

I personally have significantly reduced my animal protein consumption, especially red meat, over the last 3 years for a few reasons:
1. Environmental harm minimization. Even though the economy of my country is hugely dependent on the (all grassfed) beef/milk industry (its one of the top 3 sources of GDP), I worry about the waterways and methane. 2. I worry about Mtor activation. 3. Hubby really doesn't like to eat much animal protein. He prefers veggies n fruit.
I mention my particular reasons for my choices because we all have different drivers for making choices. Some of which might not be obvious to outsiders.

However I support other's right to chose another path because we are all different. Plus I know there are members who eat both meat AND heaps of veggies. It's not an either or.
marty
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by marty »

There are quite a few good reasons to be plant based, ranging from health to environmentalism to ethics. But this is not how I was brought up.

For decades I've been involved with strength training personally, and part of that was eating a lot of meat. This was not a sacrifice on my part. I loved to grill.

I'm now mostly plant based. I use soy protein and isoleucine supplements to ensure I get a generous amount of protein. That is adequate and more than meets a full complement of amino acids.

They say your palate will change over time, and it's true. But as I keyboard this right now, I could really go for a slab of ribs. God help me! The palate may change but the cravings are etched on the soul.
ru442
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ru442 »

I'm one of those meat eaters with heaps of veggies! But it is widely varied and mixed in with mostly seafood... and a small % of my total caloric intake. My family makes fun of me cause my salad bowl is called the "Jethro" ala Beverly Hillbillies [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-T377P using Tapatalk
Male 4/4 56 yrs., "Live, Laugh, Love"
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

I'm embarrassed to admit that I cringed a bit when I saw your link was from Dr. Greger, but I was pleasantly surprised after reading the verbiage ;) . Adding plentiful vegetables and limited fruits to our diets is non-controversial and supported by the vast majority of our community. (I didn't listen to the link.) Excellent advice! Thanks for sharing.
marty
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by marty »

Juliegee, I don't understand the cringe. Please explain.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Don’t get me wrong. Dr. Greger often has good information, but IMHO it’s far from balanced. He tends to cherrypick evidence to arrive at his preconceived solution -a low fat vegan diet- to every health condition. I’d be more impressed, if he’d also acknowledge studies that come to different or contradictory conclusions. His lack of balance makes him appear to have an agenda. Additionally, his references often don’t back his claims.

For instance, he often points to Esselstyn’s work as proof that a plant based diet prevents heart attacks. Anyone who’s read the original research knows that Esselstyn studied only a small number of patient (with no control group) who already had heart disease, and he treated them with statin drugs in addition to a diet that included skim milk and low-fat yogurt. Acknowledging these important nuances might lead one to arrive at a different conclusion.

All that being said, please keep sharing. I promise to read, listen, and follow-up on references with an open mind. I was pleasantly surprised with this link.
marty
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by marty »

Esselstyn, Greger, Katz, and Ornstein are heavy hitters in lifestyle medicine. From the outside it seems like they are in an echo chamber. But in the American Academy of Lifestyle Medicine meetings, the differences become accentuated. There are polite arguments and even some temper flairs occasionally.

When there is disagreement they may try to out-science or out-reason each other. That is more productive than fists but still far from perfect. In other words they argue their cases with facts and logic in order to be believed. If that sounds effective, consider that the court system in America works basically under similar principles. That certainly doesn't always get it right.

Lifestyle medicine, like many other things including science in general, is a cult in a sense. It involves a group of people with like biases and an arcane knowledge base with a peculiar belief system.

I apologize for being hyper-philosophical if it offends.

IMO, the argument for a plant based diet is pretty compelling at this point. Even more obvious, the status quo is unsustainable.

What personally irks me about the whole food, plant based movement is that there is a tendency among some to overstate the case. There are those who talk about how delicious their food is and that they are not missing out on anything. That's not credible to most. If it tasted better than our modern diet, McDonald's would fill their menu with it.

As an avid meat eater, I found that I could switch to a plant based diet and that it's not so bad. But eating no longer is a recreational activity.

Here's a relevant video.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJgxw90-Lp4[/youtube]
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Marty, this is a great discussion and I am personally extremely interested in how much a philosophical paradigm influences interpretation of the evidence, and how I can personally tease out the right path for myself. Thank you for honestly acknowledging that a belief system plays a part here.
I welcome more discussion of the vegan/vegetation point of view, which I feel can be a valid option for some apoe4 carriers if they wish.
buck3Maureen
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by buck3Maureen »

As someone who chose plant based for non health reasons and then a year ago found out for brain health I had to severely restrict carbs, stop sugar, and gluten, I can tell you that it has been very hard, but I have learned to cook and with some very great cookbooks and a lot of relearning I have found I can enjoy many many foods I make, and some are delicious. The hardest part is that I can't really eat out easily and I have to plan ahead and freeze a lot of food.
Maureen