Research on the Hazda and exercise

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Research on the Hazda and exercise

Post by SusanJ »

It all adds up to about 135 minutes per day of moderate-to-vigorous physical activity. Contrast that to the current recommendations from the U.S. Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion of at least 150 minutes per week.
And it's about moving throughout the day.
"What the Hadza study says is that you don't block out an hour. You put a bit of activity into everything you do. Forget this artificial distinction between exercise and life. Try to change things so you're doing them more actively," Pontzer says.

And keep on doing them as the years go by. One of the researchers' key findings is that the level of "moderate and vigorous physical activity" doesn't drop off as Hadza age. "You see 60- and 70-year-old men and women keeping up," Pontzer adds. "There's no sitting on a La-Z-Boy."
http://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsod ... -gatherers

Abstract at: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... 9/abstract

Time to get up and get away from this computer. :lol:
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Research on the Hazda and exercise

Post by circular »

One practice I'm trying to get back to is alternating between computer/desk tasks and exercise. It works wonders. You just keep weights, exercise balls, yoga mat whatever in the same place as your computer. Each time you finish something at the desk you step away and move. It works great with either a standing desk (less sitting) or sitting desk (makes you get up and down more). I use a desk that has a button that raises and lowers it depending what I need.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
MAC
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by MAC »

Happy New Year to everyone.

Thanks for posting the article Susan, was looking for a meaty thread to begin 2017. It strikes a very powerful cord with me re the new lifestyle path I've embarked on after learning of my E4 status. Yes, I've made a radical change in diet but also a radical change in exercise regime, the latter I believe is even more important than diet to overall TCM longevity.

I think I've been in the forum for about 4 months, and the vast majority of the discussion relates around a dizzying plethora of very narrow studies, dietary interventions, nutrient tweaks, endless lipid biomarker battles, magic food bullets, fasting protocols, supplements (aka very weedy bog) but VERY little is spent on making exercise THE focal point of AD/CVD prevention. We all are guilty of sitting in front of our computers, googling & pubmedding away, diving into the weeds, looking for the magic n = 1 dietary nutrient or recipe to stave off AD while waiting patiently for big pharma.

There are entrenched low fat and low carb camps advocating their positions in this community, yet there a myriad of studies of unique pre-industrial societies living off either low fat or high carb diets that exhibit VERY high longevity. The lipids of these groups must be all over the map. To quote MarcR in another post "I think people can be healthy on any macronutrient ratio. There are examples of healthy pre-industrial groups that eat LFHC, HFLC, and everywhere in between." I tend to agree, but I believe there is something else consistent with the positive longevity outcomes of these societies, and it's not only about diet. I continue to be, however, intensely curious for studies of the AD incidence rate of these unique varied dietary/MVPA pre-industrial societies vs. western, since we are simply left to extrapolate their intrinsic longevity/TCM to low AD incidence rate. It would be incredibly powerful observational data to pull it all together full circle.

I have chosen the dietary LCHF path purely for AD prevention (implicitly assuming TCM is also beneficially pushed beyond AD onset) based on my interpretation of research to date. But, my holistic change is strictly combined with MVPA daily exercise, as I believe there is something ancestral in the latter connected to TCM. My whole AD prevention philosophy is to try and emulate a more ancestral dietary/exercise lifestyle.

In the paper you posted, the Hazda on average exercise (defined as MVPA, moderate to very physical activity) 15X more than the average industrialized society age matched person.

The full paper (DOI 10.1002/ajhb.22919) is behind a paywall. Members in jurisdictions for which access to is legal may want to search http://sci-hub.bz/ for the paper there.

"We show that Hadza participants spend large amounts of time in MVPA (135 min/day), and maintain these activity levels across the lifespan. In fact, the Hadza engage in over 14 times as much MVPA as subjects participating in large epidemiological studies in the United States. We found no evidence of risk factors for cardiovascular disease in this population (low prevalence of hypertension across the lifespan, optimal levels for biomarkers of cardiovascular health. Tucker et al.(2011) found that a geographically diverse sample of adults living in the United States engage in, on average, 45 min/week of moderate PA and 18 min/week of vigorous PA (i.e., just over an hour per week of MVPA)."

I know people who likely do much much less than this...no surprise, they are generally overweight and likely experiencing some type of metabolic syndrome.

I am currently running intense 3-4 miles/day (30 minutes @ 150 bpm) followed by 30 minutes of intense resistance exercise. So let's say 30 minutes + 15 minutes prorating the resistance, so 45 minutes/day. Even converting my VPA to say 90 minutes/day of equivalent MVPA, this is still much less than the Hazda!

Going back up to 50,000 ft out of the weeds...what is it about these diverse groups (consuming extremes of dietary protocol) that produces these long life outcomes? Observationally, since there are very few good AD incidence rate studies on these groups (found scant doing brief google and pubmed), I have come to the conclusion that the uniquely differentiating factor is INTENSE and lifelong exercise (of course, devoid or refined carbs, sugars, and western processed foods foremost). All these groups live a daily routine of intense activity, walking, hiking, and many over long distances; in short, strenuous exercise. (btw, I also have read that another key longevity factor is the uniquely distinct longevity genetic phenotypes inherent to these groups due to lack of genetic drift from closed society culture)

We know about exercise and BDNF, but I am betting that there are evolutionary derived neuro/cardio benefits not necessarily known to us that result in superior CVD/AD and overall TCM benefits. BDNF to me is too simplistic of an evolutionary cerebral outcome benefit, there MUST be more derived TCM benefit. Our evolutionary anthropology, brain, key organs, vascular system, CNS, were designed to be worked, not sedentary. How could it be possible for all the neurons, vascular, metabolic, and other systems firing away intensely not be positive to their strength, vigour, and efficiency? It's unhuman not to exercise.

"Researchers have suggested that an evolutionary history that included a highly aerobically active hunting and gathering
lifestyle may be responsible for both the physiological benefits of an active lifestyle and the dangers of more sedentary living"

I just finished reading a book "BORN TO RUN: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen” by Christopher McDougall (referred to me by a triathlete friend after I mentioned I started running as part of a cognitive prevention protocol). Essentially, it is about the ultra-marathoner Tarahumara tribe in Mexico (run up to 200 miles in one session!). FYI, their diet revolves centrally around pinole (a highly concentrated food made from finely ground toasted corn)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rar%C3%A1muri_people

Aside from profiling these ultramarathoners, the book delves into evolutionary anthropology (what I found most interesting) and why Homo Sapiens UNIQUELY evolved to RUN (ergo BORN TO RUN title). Becoming bipedal to move, having unique tendons, a nuchial ligament (behind the neck to stabilize head during running), achilles tendon, uniquely human (vs. other primates) ability to cool via sweat (and why we lost our hair), gluteus maximus, and other uniquely human anatomy all evolved to allow us to run long distances and persistent hunt game animals (we did not evolve for power and sprints like other game animals, eg. gazelles and cheetahs). Basically, game animals can only do short bursts; their physiology (O2 uptake, inability to cool) does not allow them to run long distances...they will literally collapse. Ancestral humans (some tribes still practice this today), would simply out run game animals without utilizing a weapon of any sort.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endurance ... hypothesis

Ultra running is one of the only sports where 60+ aged persons can compete with 20 yr olds...very unique aerobic physiological comparison. Basically, the author surmises we get old (metabolic/chronic illness) because we stopped running as we became an industrialized sedentary species, not that we are old and cannot run. This ancestral connection, like my more ancenstral diet has really resonated with me.

From the above paper: "Thus, we believe the most appropriate interpretation of our results is that we do not find evidence of a significant decline in engagement in MVPA in older adults in our sample. Along with studies of other small-scale societies, this pattern suggests that our ancestors, who practiced hunting and gathering for 2.0 million years, were adapted to a lifestyle characterized by long periods of time spent in MVPA. In the absence of PA-induced stimuli, reductions in capacity are associated with increased risk of morbidity and mortality. Thus, we believe our reliance on exercise for the maintenance of health is best understood through the lens of our evolutionary history as aerobically active hunters and gatherers. Additional comparative data for other populations would allow us to more fully model plausible activity patterns in human ancestors, but our results support the hypothesis that hunting and gathering requires high levels of MVPA."

So instead of trying to microanalyze lipids and diet extremes, eat whole, nutrient rich foods (avoid anything industrialized, refined carbs, sugars, high saturated fats), eat less, throw in some fasting, and I STRONGLY believe returning to intense ancestral MVPA is a key to improving longevity and TCM, including AD! IR and other key chronic metabolic syndromes will largely resolve themselves just like the Hazda and many other uniquely ancestral societies.

I am experiencing a very unique feeling after daily 18 hr fasting protocol, followed by MPVA exercise, then 1st meal of the day (nutrient rich LCHF). Although I am satiated, I QUICKLY (within 1-2 hrs) feel hungry again. I have never felt this way...it's almost a SUCKING SOUND of my thirsting body rapidly taking in all the rich nutrients and using them to replenish all the organs and peripheral extremes and systems (recently stressed) of the body vs. storing them away. It's actually quite a good feeling to know nutrient rich food is being used rapidly by the body vs. circulating/storage.

Let me take a poll...how many people who have settled on (or working through) a radically altered dietary regime have implemented an equally radically altered DAILY moderate-to-vigorous exercise regime as part of the new lifestyle?

One of my engineering professors said to the class one day..."nothing worth doing is easy". I wholeheartedly believe this philosophy...all the mountains (metaphorical!) I've climbed in my life/career were only achieved with great effort. Implementing a vigorous exercise protocols is one of those hard/yucky things I believe one should implement if you want to become a superager.
MAC
E3/E4-59/MALE
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

MAC, yep, I think that exercise is a big factor of health.

Radically altered? No, but I did step it up a bit to move more through the day. I played a lot of sports the first 40 years of my life, but I gave up running years ago due to my achey knees. I've lifted weights since my 20s, but not with a goal of getting beefy. Getting dogs a few years ago helped with regular walking. Besides walking/hiking in the mountains where I live, now I spend time on the elliptical for the aerobic part. But I also do yoga. At age 61, that's what works for me at the moment.

The thing I found interesting is that the women were very active in digging for tubers - not running like the men. Any of us that have done landscaping or gardening prep know that can make you puff and sweat, too. Or shoveling 13 inches of snow like I did last week. :lol: Without reading the paper, of course, we can guess they likely walk a lot, too.

Could it be the take-away is that we just need to focus on moving, getting the heart rate up/sweating in whatever way works for us, and bottom line just using our bodies more throughout the day regardless of the type of exercise?
MAC
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by MAC »

Yes, Susan, I wasn't implying ONLY running...absolutely the point being high MVPA, regardless of how.

Do we have to achieve Hazda MVPA status, I don't know (this is the rub, the degree and longevity)...but certainly the level of current western lifestyle (call it what you will, moving around, etc) is woefully insufficient! Like my LCHF diet, I am betting very high MVPA is cognitively beneficial. If I'm not huffing and puffing and soaked...I haven't done my proper exercise: I must do YUCK. Others will achieve with resistance although I feel aerobic may be more ancestrally beneficial.

How would we compare on VO2 max, heart rate, and running duration compared to the Hazda? Is it only these metrics, or just high MVPA over a long time period conditioning our "system"?

For now, I can run...I find elliptical machines and biking (non impact), not satisfying at all, but if my body indicates otherwise, I would reconsider and move to these methods.
MAC
E3/E4-59/MALE
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Love your post MAC. I also feel that the quality of rest time is crucial and probably has evolutionary ties. in the (industrialized world) rest and resting recreation stimulation is often indoors and often digital and often lost in our minds, not outdoors where we'd be bathed in and aware on some level of natural sounds, sights, smells etc. while experiencing a more profound connection with the natural world. For some time I've wanted to delve into the literature on meditation with respect to our interests but I can't find the time. I think modern forms of meditation may help bring back some of the essences of evolutionary down time that are impossible to reconstruct in their wholeness in the industrialized world.

[Not to go too off topic here, there are some old threads on meditation.]
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Mac, absolutely agree. I'm so glad you have started this. I personally love the endorphin rush of a high level workout, but also feel general "work" is good which I do by functional movements - gardening (we have an enormous garden which I pretty much manage single handed) and housework (lots of dust coming into house from said garden so hence lots of scrubbing and cleaning and lifting furniture to clean and up and down. Again I do it all myself) As Susan said, I'm pretty sure ancestral women didnt run much as they were tied to the kids and gathering. They likely did a lot of bending and lifting and gathering and up and down after the kids. What I do kinda feels right to me. I can afford to pay people to clean my house and do my garden but I chose to do it myself as an activity I enjoy.

But I broaden my view even more. I see diet and exercise as only part of a bigger picture.
If you look at my primer again, you see that I list many factors in order of where I see the evidence most compelling.
I personally prioritize daily the following (and yes I have radically altered my whole life and as you can see by my posts I don't obsess over fat macronutrient composition of my diet)
1. Exercise (either boxing classes or walking or gardening or housework. 30 mins to couple hours to many hours if there is a deck to resurface for instance. I am also up and down constantly at work and don't sit for long)
2. Piano playing 30 mins. Cognitive reserve to me seems critical. I am building it as best I can.
3. Meditation 10 to 20 mins. Stress also seems critical.
4. Study something hard 30 mins. Examples currently are biochemistry, ECG, philosophy, dermoscopy, joint examination. Its all physical textbook based. Cognitive reserve.
5. I prioritize sleep and keeping my circadian rhythm intact. I feel its critical.

How do I fit this into a busy professional life? No TV whatsoever. Hardly ever. No googling at night unless its to check a fact in my studies. I get home, do physical stuff in garden, chat to hubby, eat, piano, study, meditate, read something fun (sci-fi for me), bed.
Which brings me to my observation about the societies above - they all have great circadian cycling - no artificial lights, no screens. I wonder how much of an impact this makes.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Stavia wrote:Which brings me to my observation about the societies above - they all have great circadian cycling - no artificial lights, no screens. I wonder how much of an impact this makes.
I think this is huge. I've been one highly vulnerable to insomnia when under stress, which has been chronic for the last nine years or so. I often get that second wind later in the evening and then disrupted sleep. Changing to low to no blue light in evening didn't help this. What did was no longer listening to 'bed at 10 up at 6 every night' (roughly the standard advice), and instead going to bed at 8 or 9. Shifting my cycle earlier than what's normally recommended, and closer to sun down seems to make a big difference, although I can't say there aren't other variables helping (?). Anyway, I think the circadian rhythm is huge and from what I gather there are multiple such rhythms in the body. My guess is they're tightly connected.

In short we could not BE more divorced from our evolutionary environment. Well maybe after we leave for other planets.
MAC
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by MAC »

Stavia, right now I am trying to make radical, sweeping, life long changes like diet and exercise to better match an ancestral theme. This is the big bet/investment, with everything else secondary at the moment.

Your daily protocol is more advanced than where I am at right now, although a next phase is to find something fundamentally very difficult cognitively that I find interesting and sustainable. I have a technical/analytical background and profession, but I don't have the challenges of the earlier part of my career.
MAC
E3/E4-59/MALE
cdamaden
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by cdamaden »

I like the exercise theory but my own experience has been that sleep is the top factor in my daily well being, which is of course intertwined with stress and exercise.

This sounds a bit whiny, but I would like to include the concept of the joys/stresses of raising children. My two kids are now 12 and 14 so the sleep deprivation (and diaper duty) of their early years are over but I'm still doing the taxiing work of modern American life along with trying to cook nutritious meals after work. I recognize that many kids are over-programmed but just having one extracurricular activity can still include 3-4 trips out of the house per week. Granted - we all need to establish priorities but I wonder if the ~20 years of child-rearing means some short changing of our health needs with the reality of family commitments. A similar argument could be made about the first 5-10 years of a demanding career.
Chris
E4/E4
Alameda, CA, USA