Describe your ideal MCT formulation

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Describe your ideal MCT formulation

Post by Julie G »

I've recently been approached by a science-based supplement company catering to practitioners and their patients asking for input from our community on developing a new MCT formulation. I know that Dr. Gundry has begun advising E4 carriers to use primarily caprylic acid/C8 because it has a more positive effect on lipids. Has anyone tested that theory? Do you prefer liquid to capsules? What dosage do you use? Why are you using MCT?

FWIW, I don't use MCT on a regular basis now because I'm no longer IR. When I travel and can't find (quality) food, I do find a 1,000 mg capsule easily helps me get into ketosis so I can just fast instead. Please share your experience.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Describe your ideal MCT formulation

Post by circular »

Julie sorry I can't answer your questions, but I have one. What MCT do you take in 1000 mg pill form? I never thought of taking it that way.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Circ, I just use the NOW formulation. I've found that a 1,000 mg capsule (combined with my other strategies) easily pushes me over the hump into ketosis. FWIW, I rarely use it for fear of the negative effect on my lipid profile. That being said, if I was IR, I would have no such qualms. MCT can supply immediate neuronal fuel when IR interferes with both glucose and LCFA metabolism.
apod
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by apod »

I usually use the Bulletproof brand of C8 MCT. One thing that bugs me about Dave Asprey's "Brain Octane" & "XCT Oil" product line is the plastic container. I doubt there's much (if any) plastic leaching into the oil... but I would much prefer dark glass. Onnit sells a MCT formulation with an emulsifier that's convenient for mixing, but it uses the full C8 + C10 + C12 combo (maybe ideal for metabolism / gut health if you're not anti-SFA?)

I've heard good things about MCT + Ketone Salt combos that seems superior to either one in isolation. I've seen some that toss on caffeine as an energy drink, although I've never tried the ketone salts myself (expensive!) I've also read that MCT can increase the absorption of omega-3 (& MUFA?)

So... maybe:

* A dark glass bottle of C8 MCT emulsified (soluble fiber?) with some added vanilla flavor that I can stir into coffee.
* Then another smaller bottle with a high polyphenol EVOO + Fish Oil + Fat-soluble nutrient blend -- maybe something I can add over vegetables with a rosemary lemon flavor or something exotic.
* Maybe a C8 + Ketone salt blend (+ ketogenic aminos & pre-workout supplements?)

When I use C8, I usually do 15g - 30g per serving. Sometimes it's pretty noticeable, other times less so. I've never noticed GI issues with it. I would imagine this worsens lipids (although I have read theories of it improving lipids or being benign), but I've never checked. Surprisingly, this seems to improve glucose disposal when added to a meal, as far as I can tell. I believe I prefer HFLC + MCT over a strict HFLC diet, but I still prefer strict HFLC over a low-moderate carb diet with MCT (which is preferable to a moderate carb diet without exogenous ketones.) The more ketones, the better my energy, focus, and productivity.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Huge thanks for your detailed input here, apod. To clarify, you've never checked lipids before/after C8 to test Dr. Gundy's theory? Has anyone? You're clearly using MCT as a nootropic, to optimize already healthy cognition. I'd love to hear from anyone who's using it to address or prevent cognitive decline. I'm especially curious about dosage and preference for either liquid or capsules. Feel free to PM me if you'd prefer. Apod, I'm stunned by the mega-doses you're using :shock:. I suspect I might levitate on 30 grams. I've shared this story before, but I naively took 1 tbs of liquid MCT when I first began using it. Almost immediately, I grew very warm, sweaty, and began trembling. I had an excess of energy like nothing I'd ever experienced before or since. I think Lucy (?) once very aptly described MCT as "rocket fuel." Amen. It's interesting to see how many of us women (especially) react strongly to high doses.
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

Juliegee wrote:
FWIW, I don't use MCT on a regular basis now because I'm no longer IR.
This is probably off topic, but what lab tests are you personally using at this time to determine IR? Apologies in advance if already discussed ;)
Slacker
E4/E4
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Re. IR labs: fasting glucose, insulin, A1c. For the whole MetS picture, I also like to include BMI, waist circumference, BP, lipids (esp. TG/HDL ratio.) How do you define, Slacker?
cdamaden
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by cdamaden »

For IR labs - what's the consensus on Lipoprotein Insulin Resistance Index (LP-IR)? I saw a presentation where the doctor said it was a very good tool to predict a patient's path toward IR - a leading indicator instead of fasting blood glucose, for instance.
Chris
E4/E4
Alameda, CA, USA
hill dweller
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by hill dweller »

I use NOW brand MCT because it's the least expensive that I can find and because it's in a dark glass bottle. That said, I've had trouble with the plastic screw-on cap on the bottle breaking before the bottle is finished -- I just wrapped the top in aluminum foil. I've tried pouring the oil into a cruet, to minimize the oily mess, but that didn't work very well. Now I keep the bottle in a small bowl. That stuff is quite viscous!

NOW doesn't give a breakdown by percentage but says it's C8 and C10.

I prefer unflavored MCT, but NOW does have a vanilla-hazelnut option.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Chris, from what I can glean LPIR is an excellent indicator of emerging IR risk.

Nice to hear from you , Hill :D. I didn't realize that NOW was comprised of C8 and C10. Thanks for that clarification. What dosage are you using & why? Feel free to PM me if you'd prefer.