Diet and lifestyle changes

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Alma4567
Contributor
Contributor

Diet and lifestyle changes

Postby Alma4567 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:30 pm

Hi guys, just wanted to ask, regardless of APOE4 status (which I may or may not have given it seems to be present in my family), how lifestyle/diet changes can remedy past choices.

So in my case for 10 years of my life I was completely sedentary, ate lots of junk food, gained weight (was overweight), smoked a bit and drank a lot of alcohol.

For the past 2 years I've quit smoking, drink very rarely, eat healthily (albeit giving in to the odd takeaway or treat once in a while), have lost 20 pounds and do 30 minutes of exercise a day.

Assuming I go on like this for the rest of my life, will my lifestyle/diet changes remedy the past 10 years of bad living? Or will those 10 years eventually catch up on me?

I'm asking because I have no idea how lifestyle science works, if it's a case of "change and it will undo the effects", or if it's a case of "x years of bad living can never be undone".

hill dweller
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Diet and lifestyle changes

Postby hill dweller » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:02 pm

Here are two physicians who have seen patients reverse diabetes via the type of lifestyle changes you've implemented:
Jason Fung https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/. Several good YouTube videos, too
Richard Bernsteinhttp://www.diabetes-book.com/ He was diagnosed with type1 diabetes as a child. He's now in his 80's and still practicing. Again, good YouTube videos.

If you accept the hypothesis that Alzheimer's is a metabolic disease very similar to diabetes, then the reversal of diabetes via lifestyle changes should encourage you to stay the course. You are much better off than you were two years ago -- right? :D

Return to “Prevention and Treatment”