Exercise, muscles, mTOR, IGF-1, brain health, and cancer

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Exercise, muscles, mTOR, IGF-1, brain health, and cancer

Post by circular »

In addition to how olive oil may help us get the higher protein at least some of us feel we need without mTOR going on a cancer parade, this is even better: maybe a problem is not sticking strictly to pastured meats. Jo Robinson's Eat Wild website takes a cursory look at how CLA, higher in pastured animals than feedlot animals, appears to be a potent cancer fighter even in small amounts. This won't be a new concept to many, but have we thought about how this might offset mTOR in the way that nature likes to package our foods in a holistic way? Maybe nature is taking care of us if we take care of her. In addition to Gabriel Lyon's (muscle expert) notion that you reset mTOR after eating protein with exercise by not eating for 3-4 hours. The problem as she states it is the constant signaling by protein and sugars -- steady caloric intake -- not intermittent triggering of mTOR.

I finally found a good source of pastured chicken parts for those who don't want the whole bird at the Grass Roots Farmers' Cooperative. Interestingly, they also offer forested pork, since pigs are supposed to live and scrounge 'round in the woods.
Last edited by circular on Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

circular wrote:Jo Robinson's Eat Wild website takes a cursory look at how CLA, higher in pastured animals than feedlot animals, appears to be a potent cancer fighter even in small amounts. This won't be a new concept to many, but have we thought about how this might offset mTOR in the way that nature likes to package our foods in a holistic way? Maybe nature is taking care of us if we take care of her. In addition to Gabriel Lyon's (muscle expert) notion that you reset mTOR after eating protein with exercise by not eating for 3-4 hours. The problem as she states it is the constant signaling by protein and sugars -- steady caloric intake -- not intermittent triggering of mTOR.
According to this recent paper [edit: not as recent as I thought, published online December 9, 2015], the link between CLA and cancer prevention in humans isn't yet strong:

The role of red meat in the diet: nutrition and health benefits
Meat and dairy products from ruminant animals contain low levels of natural trans-fatty acids. The predominant trans-fatty acid in red meat is vaccenic acid( 15 ), which has not been associated with CHD( 16 ). Conjugated linoleic acid is a collective term for a mixture of positional and geometric isomers of linoleic acid. These isomers are intermediates in the biohydrogenation of linoleic acid, with the majority of conjugated linoleic acid produced from vaccenic acid. Evidence from in vitro and animal studies indicates that conjugated linoleic acid has many potential health benefits for cancer, CHD and diabetes( 9 ) and enhancing immune function and affecting body composition change (reducing fat gain and enhancing lean body mass gain)( 17 ). However, the few studies conducted in man are inconsistent and conflicting( 18 , 19 ) as very high doses (of 3 g/d) may be required for a beneficial effect( 18 ). [Emphasis added]
Also in the paper:
Red meat also contains relatively low levels of PUFA; however, it can contribute substantially to intakes, providing 18 % of n-6 PUFA and 17 % of n-3 PUFA, while contributing to 23 % of overall fat intake( 11 ). The main PUFA in red meat are the essential fatty acids, linoleic (n-6) and α-linoleic acid (n-3). When consumed, the body can convert α-linoleic acid into the long-chain beneficial n-3 fatty acids EPA and DHA. The rate of synthesis however is small, with studies generally suggesting conversion rates of α-linoleic acid to DHA of below 5 % in man( 12 ). Recent work has focused on improving the fatty acid profile of red meat( 13 ).
I'm suddenly realizing that since I'm homozygous on that gene that further hampers a-linoleic acid conversion to DHA and EPA, I may not get much omega benefit from red meat, not that I thought it was a main source anyway. Further, if I can't get from a-linoleic to DHA/EPA from meat, I wonder if I can make use of the CLA: 'These isomers are intermediates in the biohydrogenation of linoleic acid'.
Last edited by circular on Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

I didn't realize the Evolving Past Alzheimer's podcast featured Dr. Gabriel Lyon almost a year ago.