Pickles and other beneficial foods...?

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Annabella
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Pickles and other beneficial foods...?

Post by Annabella »

Hi everyone,
Fermented veggies are great but consume them in moderation and with caution. I fermented my own veges for quite some time but eventually found I couldn't tolerate them because of the histamines. Georgia Ede writes a good blog on histamines.
Does anyone know anything about wether it's possible to create fermented veggies that are low in histamine? I've read that fermenting them for over three months brings the histamine level down, but I don't know how reliable this is.
kiksuyapi
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Pickles and other beneficial foods...?

Post by kiksuyapi »

I would like to refresh this thread. surely there is more info in this group now on ferments. I made a large batch of fermented garlic this last fall and have enjoyed it all winter. (peel, then chop cloves in food processor, cover with water, add bacteria, let sit on counter until taste shifts from sharp to sweetish, time on counter depends on temp... colder temps take longer. I like to use a baggie of water to weigh the veggies down in the jar so unwanted bacteria are less likely to grow. Putting in fridge stops the ferment.)
I know some say ferments are a must for belly health and some say the histamines aren't worth it. Anyone have thoughts/knowledge?