Dr Mercola interviews Dr. Perlmutter

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
GOLDTHREAD
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Dr Mercola interviews Dr. Perlmutter

Post by GOLDTHREAD »

Sandy57 wrote: I also discussed Coffee Fruit with Bredesen and living in Hawaii I might have simple access to Coffee Fruit. He got busy and did not follow up with me on this, but he was big on the potential BDNF factor. I will look into it more now and see if any other peer reviewed work has developed this hypothesis further.

Frank
Frank!
Bredesen has mentioned Coffee Fruit and its potential for the BDNF growth factor and that its early stages of exploring. No measurement of long term effect.

May I ask if you might know where one can get the very best quality to try?

THANKYOU

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Angela, I agree with Kimberly that working on her diet and losing weight will be a priority. Cutting back refined carbs will be critical.

And exercise can be anything at this point, just to get her moving. Could just be walking in the park or walking in the pool with a friend. Planning exercise with someone makes it harder to skip out. ;)

You might try some MCT oil for helping cognition. Some members have used it with success. I think this is the one that JulieG has recommended in the past.
bucci_angel
Contributor
Contributor

Re: RE: Re: Dr Mercola interviews Dr. Perlmutter

Post by bucci_angel »

GOLDTHREAD wrote:
bucci_angel wrote:This is Angela again from Toronto.....what tests should I have my mother take....is it too late to slow the progress of the disease and reverse some of the symptoms.....what do you think of acupuncture or other alternative treatments...
My mother thinks that she needs to increase the aircept and everything will be OK
I need HELP....I feel Lost and want to help het

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Welcome Angela from Toronto. I'm helping my good friend and remind myself this is a marathon not a sprint. Key changes reap great benefits.

My friend is 5'3" and weighed 154 pounds when she first met the APOE4 community at the Buck institute May of 2015 and is challenged today to maintain 108 pounds after embracing the high Vegetables, high healthy fat, healthy sources of grass fed organic pasture raised protein. Ketogenic diet.

I just want to encourage you to dive in here to the research and support. For me, information allows me to hope.

Kimberly - friend of Kathleen
[emoji813]️[emoji813]️[emoji813]️

Thank you.....on some days I think that maybe it is too late to see improvements in å to try some of the suggestions in Dr Bredessen's protocol....that maybe it was not a good idea to see the functional doctor.....She was told to take b vitamin complex away from fats does that mean not with a meal on an empty stomach. Should she be on separate b-12 b-5 b-6 and folate. I purchased some magnesium thereonate(not sure if I spelt it correctly)but not sure when to give it to her.....was wondering gift you could help or someone else
GOLDTHREAD wrote:
bucci_angel wrote:This is Angela again from Toronto.....what tests should I have my mother take....is it too late to slow the progress of the disease and reverse some of the symptoms.....what do you think of acupuncture or other alternative treatments...
My mother thinks that she needs to increase the aircept and everything will be OK
I need HELP....I feel Lost and want to help het

Welcome Angela from Toronto. I'm helping my good friend and remind myself this is a marathon not a sprint. Key changes reap great benefits.

My friend is 5'3" and weighed 154 pounds when she first met the APOE4 community at the Buck institute May of 2015 and is challenged today to maintain 108 pounds after embracing the high Vegetables, high healthy fat, healthy sources of grass fed organic pasture raised protein. Ketogenic diet.

I just want to encourage you to dive in here to the research and support. For me, information allows me to hope.

Kimberly - friend of Kathleen
[emoji813]️[emoji813]️[emoji813]️

bucci_angel
Contributor
Contributor

Post by bucci_angel »

SusanJ wrote:Hi Angela, and welcome. Sorry to hear about your mother's diagnosis. Many of us have had parents with AD and have walked in your shoes.

Looks like you are off to a good start with some diet changes and supplements. Thyroid testing is good, to rule out very treatable issues.

I don't know what you have available in Canada, but I would highly recommend to check for insulin resistance (HbA1c, fasting insulin, and most panels will throw in fasting blood glucose) and do a basic cardio panel (e.g. LDL, HDL, triglycerides).

If you haven't read our great introduction (viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1418), I highly recommend it to understand in particular why insulin resistance is critical in AD. You might also want to look into mildly ketogenic diets (search our site), which can help overcome the brain's inability to use glucose. Several here have reported improved brain function once they routinely got into ketosis. Sticking to healthy fats, like EVOO and avocados, decreases the adverse effects of higher fat intake on LDL.

How old is your mother, and how is her weight?

Keep asking questions, and we'll be here for you.
Hi Susan.....thank you....my mother is 71 years old and will turn 72 in August .....she noticed and we noticed her difficulties 2 years ago.....

Sandy57
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Sandy57 »

Aloha Goldthread

I am still in the process of researching these products. The rabbit has just starting to dig the hole, so I am not too deep yet. LOL
I will get back to you soon and report what I have found. I was looking at another avenue at first because I have access to the Fruit. So I just started talking to some of the locals about how they used the Fruit extract in the "old days". The Fruit itself has a very short half life and rots quickly. The bean is what coffee is made from and has a longer shelf life. However, during this delay and the roasting process, the bean does have an opportunity to mold and is why people with CIRS need to be extremely careful about what kind of coffee they drink.

There are 3 products that I have found and will list them after researching them a little more. Green coffee bean extract is not as effective for our brain. It has to be a certain variety of coffee Fruit extract. The study Bredesen relies on is from another company that will not sell to the public. But to give you something to look at go to http://www.coffeebery.com. The company that did the research is the parent company and is called FutureCeuticals. They are an industry leader in research , development, and manufacturing of fruit and vegetable products. They are reputable with a lot of Ph.D's but do not sell to the individual, which is beyond frustrating. Ok I will get back to you shortly.

Frank
buck3Maureen
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by buck3Maureen »

Hi Angela,
I just wanted to add to the encouragement. I think that the protocol that Dr. Bredesen has shown us has really helped me. It was very gradual not an overnight thing.
Maureen
bucci_angel
Contributor
Contributor

Post by bucci_angel »

buck3Maureen wrote:Hi Angela,
I just wanted to add to the encouragement. I think that the protocol that Dr. Bredesen has shown us has really helped me. It was very gradual not an overnight thing.
Maureen
Thank you Maureen....[emoji4]

GOLDTHREAD
Contributor
Contributor

Post by GOLDTHREAD »

Thanks Frank!

Hi Angela!

Functional medicine doctor is a good thing I think. The Institute is Functional Medicine is now providing the training of The Bredesen Protocol in conjunction with MPI Cognition.

I hate to give any advice or guidance as there are far better resources on this forum in the more active members.

I tend to dip my toe in here every now and again. My life is somewhat overflowing with undone responsibilities!

But that said, I would start having your mom watch some Bredesen videos. I find him to be so very inspiring. I've never come across a more principled, committed, humble, open, helpful authority ever in the medical field. Maybe his wife Aida ties with him. This is his life work. Every fiber of his being believes "Alzheimers" is avoidable. And memory loss reversible.

When asked about the problem of caregivers often predeceasing their subjects he spoke of a near future when there would be no need for caregivers for people with memory loss.

If you could get your mom fired up by the possibility of reversing her decline she might become a more willing participant in the journey ahead. When Kathleen's neurologist told her the results of her diagnostic lumbar puncture procedure over the telephone "there's a 90% chance you'll be institutionalized with Alzheimer's within 10 years" she began drinking white wine like water sometimes 3 bottles a day. So I'd say Kathleen began this journey from a place of utter defeat. She now is fully on board and committed to her protocol. And keeping Dale Bredesen on video or audio of his radio interviews or Julie G's story of reversal all helps us keep our eyes and actions focused on the goal.

I had Kathleen on a program I'd developed through research before Dale Bredesen's study was published in the journal of aging with the original 9 out of 10 participants in Sept 2014, (when I did a spreadsheet of the protocols of the original ten, Kathleen was on every supplement Bredesen had used except Bacopa Monieri and Vita PQQ). Kathleen got her 90 days sobriety hoping to be in a study of Bredesen's. Long winded way of saying, Bredesen's study, videos, interviews all helped Kathleen have hope. His belief is palpable.

One of my best friends is in Toronto and I hope to visit this spring.

In the meanwhile I'll do a search for Toronto health professionals who've been trained in the Bredesen Protocol. I'll post links below for some videos.

Also, tons of info in Stavia's intro.

Every reason to hope. [emoji813]️[emoji813]️[emoji813]️

GOLDTHREAD
Contributor
Contributor

Post by GOLDTHREAD »

https://fpdl.vimeocdn.com/vimeo-prod-sk ... cada577608

The link above is from our gathering at the BUCK in May of 2015. With the brilliant JulieG sharing her story before Dale Bredesen spoke.

GOLDTHREAD
Contributor
Contributor

Post by GOLDTHREAD »

Angela, if you search on this site you can see/hear more recent interviews. [emoji177]