Gut Bacteria and Parkinson's Disease (If you eat whole grains/beans AND have IBS/SIBO read this

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
mimik67
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Gut Bacteria and Parkinson's Disease (If you eat whole grains/beans AND have IBS/SIBO read this

Post by mimik67 »

Julie, and yes regarding your observation of a high number of patients that present with connective tissue disorders (specifically CIRS diagnosis-from what I have learned) this is well born out in the clinical world. It is a standard part of the CIRS patient assessment.

CIRS patients commonly present with the lovely trifecta of EDS/POTS ( postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome) and Dysautonomia.

EDS type presentation, as observed by my CIRS doctor, seems to make the body a more hospitable place for microbes, viruses and biotoxins, while the POTS and Dysautonomia seem to improve when mold is no longer a trigger in the environment, and when the biotoxins are nolonger a bio burden and have been removed from the body.

Although it is an interesting chicken egg conundrum as EDS seems to show up after the gut is compromised and is reversed when gut is healed as observed by many GAPS practitioners! Go figure.
3,4 but no family history of Altzheimers. However, mother likely had CIRS
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: Gut Bacteria and Parkinson's Disease (If you eat whole grains/beans AND have IBS/SIBO read this

Post by Julie G »

I recently came across this this from Dr. Mary Ackerly speaking about this correlation between connective tissue disorder, POTS, and CIRS:
-Hypermobile people have an increased vulnerability to CIRS.
-If the length of the outstretched arms is from tip to tip is greater than your height, this is a long wingspan and more prone to CIRS.
-Being able to clasp your hands behind your back is not common.
-Ehlers Danlos Type 3 (EDS) often have higher incidence of IBS and Fibromyalgia.
-49% of people with Tourette's in one study had hypermobility.
-Only 10% of the population is hypermobile.
-POTS is common with EDS.
-EDS is termed "benign" but many people with EDS get CIRS.
-SIBO may be an issue associated to the autonomic system and gastroparesis.
-Of 152 CIRS patient NeuroQuants, 23 had EDS Type 3, 37 were hypermobile, 7 had severe OCD, 5 were pro-caliber athletes, 1 had Marfans.
-EDS is 1% of the population but 15.5% of her CIRS patients.
-Hypermobility is 10% of the population and 24% of her CIRS patients.
I like your trifecta observation, but I'd suggest POTS and dysautonomia (umbrella term) are one and the same. We tend to see members with this presentation also exhibiting mast cell activation, which may be synonymous with CIRS. Lots of semantic overlap! I've made Dr. Bredesen aware of how many E4 carriers share this presentation. He's paying close attention. To date, none of this explains the E4 connection. My guess is that inflammation may end up being what connects the dots. ApoE4 is known for it's the pro-inflammatory properties. I strongly agree with you that focusing on the gut, which may be the master driver of inflammation, is likely to be key to healing.