Music Therapy

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Music Therapy

Post by Julie G »

Dont't throw away your old I-Pod. Consider donating it. This organization is recycling them and loading them with AD patient's favorite tunes. This concept is so simple...with stunningly beautiful results. It almost reminds me of the 1990 film "Awakenings" with Robert DeNiro.

http://abcnews.go.com/health/t/blogEntr ... gle.com%2F
Welcomeaboard
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Music Therapy

Post by Welcomeaboard »

Good reason to have the song of the day.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

And what is the song of the day, today?
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Another study showing the calming effect of music on AD patients. It apparently lessened stress, anxiety, relieved pain, decreased agitation, improved sleep and even lowered cortisol. Nice 8-)

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/hea ... e18914499/
SpunkyPup
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SpunkyPup »

I got a collection of W A Mozart adagios, that I play when stuck in traffic it can really chill me out and forget about the mess going on.
SpunkyPup
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SpunkyPup »

Sorry Juliegee didn't see you got their first

Dr. Robin Hsiung, an associate professor of neurology at UBC "“were less stressed by cortisol measure,” he said.

"the study, which has not yet been published, was more rigorous in design than earlier studies showing a benefit in Alzheimer’s patients who had music therapy."
He said results are UNCLEAR
“now that we have some numbers, we can design a different study to look at that specific aspect,”
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Hi Spunky! Yeah, I read that part too...about the results being unclear. They couldn't discern if the hour a week with a caring new face (music therapist,) the music itself, or the combo of the two promoted the positive changes. Regardless, it has prompted me to dig up an old iPod and load it with my Grandmother's favorite music from the day- lots of polkas, Polish church hymns, Doris Day, Bobby Vinton, Frank Sinatra, etc. and see if she enjoys it. She's slowly losing the ability to do things she once enjoyed; puzzles, watching old movies, etc. When she reads (now Danielle Steele exclusively) she stays on the same page for weeks :?

My hope us that listening to music, that once gave her pleasure, will provide some entertainment and peace. Keep in mind, AD is terminal. Whatever we can do to offer comfort...may mean the world.
RedNailz
Contributor
Contributor

Post by RedNailz »

Juliegee - While you're loading up the iPod for your grandmother, add in some audiobooks. You can get them online from the library and, if the software is the same as my library's, they stay on the iPod until you sync with iTunes again. Or you could even use a CD player, but that has its risks. I was walking down the hall at my mom's facility and was startled to hear someone's romance novel played at full volume: "Marigold quivered as Maurice's lips brushed her bare shoulder....." :lol:
4/4
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

RedNailz :lol:
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

You've got Grandma Josie's number, Red :D Great idea, actually!