Gundry's Vital Reds

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Jafa
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Gundry's Vital Reds

Post by Jafa »

Right, so it's okay if we drink it and don't inject or bathe in it? Sweet! :lol:
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Quick question: I've been taking this for about a month now and my BP is crazy low. Today at the doc (even with white coat syndrome) it was 85/65. I've been feeling really lightheaded, especially with posture changes. I've read that polyphenols can reduce BP. Has anyone else experienced this on Vital Reds? TIA.
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

Juliegee wrote:I've read that polyphenols can reduce BP. Has anyone else experienced this on Vital Reds? TIA.
I've been taking Vital Reds daily since about mid-Feb. I've noticed some light-headededness, but this was something I could experience before taking Vital Reds. My blood pressure has mostly always been low, so haven't focused on it. I don't take my BP regularly, so it MAY be lower than before but I have no data to identify a trend since Vital Reds. Sorry.

I hope TIA means Thanks in Advance, not that you're wishing those of us with low blood pressure a Transient Ischemic Attack (loss of blood flow).
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Juliegee wrote:Quick question: I've been taking this for about a month now and my BP is crazy low. Today at the doc (even with white coat syndrome) it was 85/65. I've been feeling really lightheaded, especially with posture changes. I've read that polyphenols can reduce BP. Has anyone else experienced this on Vital Reds? TIA.
I've also been taking Vital Reds daily since mid Feb. My BP runs around 100/58 and there really has been no change. The only time I notice getting light headed is when I get up quickly when I've been fasting for 4 or 5 days, but that has nothing to do with VR.

Could be one of those individual things...

Just occurred to me, how is your sodium salt intake? This is a post about low blood volume. In the 2011 post, I refer to my wife, who is now my ex. Julie, you and she have a similar build. She has a low BMI, & is tall & thin. As I recall, when she added more sodium in, it helped.
Tincup
E3,E4
tesslo
Contributor
Contributor

Post by tesslo »

Juliegee wrote:Thanks for all of the info on this, guys. I've been curious about this one. I may try them at some point. In the meantime, I've adopted a poor man's version by sprinkling organic ground cloves into my coffee. It's not bad. Cloves top the list for foods highest in polyphenols.
I read Dr G's book way before he started selling supplements! He would give other alternatives such as Balsamic Vinegar for polyphenols in sparkling water...I purchased other 'Green Drinks' such as Trader Joes which has barley in it and you need a huge scoop so it must have fillers and doesn't cost much less...I love his recipes as well and videos. Snake Oil? How can Olive Oil be snake oil...I eat whole avocados and lots of olive oil.
What I find horrifying is when my doctor suggested canola oil....

i drink both the green and red drink because it also has other vitamins and I also have my daughter on it as 'insurance'
Sandy57
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Sandy57 »

Aloha Julie
First thank you. I will send an email soon, but no problem with the package. 75 degrees so we are good.

Now on to business. Yes PP's can lower BP. Please send me everything you take if you can by email, and I will research it for you. We eliminated the chlorogenic acid, now we need to figure out what else is the causative agent. There are all kinds of things in both VR and Primal Plants that can lower BP, just to name a few, any grape product, berberine, greeen tea leaf, green tea extract, any berry product, I can name a bunch.

Julie please list everything you take because I am more worried about contraindications between all the meds and supplements, than just the VR themselves. These things compound on themselves. So coffee is ok, green tea is ok, quercetin is ok, berberine is ok, etc. etc, but combined together they absolutely can lower BP in sensitive people.

With the list I will be able to give you a good idea what is causing low BP. Was this happening before Nasalcrom? After we stopped chlorogenic acid I know you felt better, but that caused a cascading chain as events ; this appears to be different than the acute reaction to chlorogenic acid? Finally how soon after taking VR did this start? Ok I hope you feel better and send me an email.

Frank
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Thanks all for weighing in. No doubt I have concurrently low blood volume; common in connective tissue disorders and orthostatic intolerance (lifelong issues) exacerbated by osmolality issue/low ADH common in CIRS...sigh. I could be wrong in pointing the finger at Vital Reds, but it's a fairly recent addition to my regimen. My diet is also very high in polyphenols. Too much of a good thing, may be just that- too much for me ;)

I recently trialed whole coffee fruit extract WCFE, on top of the Vital Reds, and had the most miserable four days of my life. I could barely remain upright. WCFE also reduces BP. Since dropping that, my BP has rebounded somewhat, but I'm still symptomatic. It's most problematic when I garden or perform any task that requires bending or squatting then abruptly standing upright.

Thank you for your kind offer to peruse my supps, Frank. You suspect Nasalcrom? It's decreased nasal stuffiness; really helpful with my house construction dust, but I don't think it's affected my BP(?) I know that magnesium can also lower BP... perhaps I can cut back a bit. I'll also increase fluid and salt. Given my family history of heart valve issues/aortic perforation (connective tissue stuff) I may do an echo if I don't feel better.

LOL, Theresa- you guessed correctly. I don't wish a Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA) on my E4 friends, just expressing my gratitude.
Sandy57
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Sandy57 »

Julie actually Nasalcrom has its share of side effects in certain individuals, usually not BP related, however it can cause dizziness. Pretty sure you were having some BP issues before you started the spray. If it is calming some mast cells for you , I don't think it is major BP issue. Always a possibility it is reacting with some other stuff your taking. I think you are ok with it.

CIRS can cause postural BP issues for sure. Shoemaker has talked about this a lot, with mold, pretty sure it is no different for Lyme. The innate immune system still has to fight the reaction to the causative agent. Mold, Lyme , metals, virus, bacteria, fungus, etc. Just out of curiosity are you peeing a lot, getting electric shocks when you touch certain things? Any stabbing pin prick pains, that are very fleeting, just lasting a second or so.

Now the obvious: you take pink salt like I do, are you taking enough, do you also use light salt that has potassium? How much magnesium are you taking?
WATER, are you sure you are drinking enough straight water, I get in a habit (at times) of drinking coffee, tea, electrolyte drinks, VR and then at the end of the day not enough just plain water. If I am short on water, very obvious signs for me, I get slightly dizzy when lifting ...drumroll...in any bent over position. Exercises that require major postural changes. Also like you, when gardening. I then add water quickly with electrolytes and it is gone within 30 minutes.

Like I said yesterday PP's are incredibly helpful, a must for health; but for sensitive individuals they come with side effects. Usually the side effects are more GI related. Sandy is taking VR and Primal Plants and she is occasionally getting some very loose stools, but no other issues with it. Can't say it is helping at this point, but nothing that warrants stopping either. I am taking both as well and I have had a few spells of dizziness, mild, but there. Like others have stated already, I have on rare occasions had some dizziness, so hard to pinpoint if VR and Greens causing some now. I do not feel much different with the products, but have taken a lot of those PP's for years, so did not expect much. I will stick with it for now and see if I get any positive changes in the next few months.

Like Tom (I think) pointed out, there are so many types / families of PP's that you really have to look deeply to isolate what may be causing low BP. On a quick look several species of PP's can cause BP changes, most of the time that is a GOOD thing, but for those with low blood volume or sensitivities; this is not such a great thing. When you break down the VR, it has some vitamins and minerals, it has the polyphenol blend which I definitely see a few in there that can lower BP, it has the metabolic blend, again a few in there than can cause lower BP, and the digestive blend which based on what other pre and probiotics you are taking might be a small issue. Are you taking Restore?

Primal Plants has a few that can cause lower BP as well, I don't think your taking that product though. When you have time, email me everything you are taking, including meds and IV's and I will see if I can isolate or narrow down the field for you some. An easy way to see if VR is a major contributor is to stop taking it. The half life is short for these products so I bet within a week if this is an issue you will feel a difference. Try the obvious stuff I listed above, if no change, drop the VR for a while.

An echo is easy enough and it might give you peace of mind. It will also measure heart wall thickness besides looking at your values. Another question, when you are out exercising and pushing yourself, do you get any BP or dizziness issues?
Ok when convenient send me a list. Hope you feel better.

Frank
eap1992
Contributor
Contributor

Post by eap1992 »

TheresaB wrote:
bexnews wrote:Are there any competing products the would contain the same ingredients? I don't think there's anything proprietary about the blend?
Dr Gundry has told us if started to take Vital Reds we could drop:
  • Schiff Digestive Advantage probiotic because VR also contains the BC30 probiotic
    Pycnogenol (French maritime pine bark extract)
    Grape seed extract
You can take those three products for about half the price, although it doesn’t cover all the polyphenols cited on the Vital Reds ingredient label. vitalreds_sup.pnghttp://gundrymd.com/supplements/vital-reds/.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've looked at least three times at the label and don't see pycnogenol/pine bark extract in the ingredient list. Or was Dr. Gundry just saying since there's already a ton of polyphenols in the vital reds, you don't have to take pycnogenol (even if that particular polyphenol isn't in the product).

Also I wish it broke it down so we knew exactly how much of each thing was in there, rather than just the total 1,540 mg.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

I'm glad you resurrected this topic, eap1992. I continued with pycogenol while I was taking Vital Reds. Maybe that was a mistake... Sadly, I've had to discontinue my trial. It lowered my BP too much. My orthostatic intolerance was dramatically worsened. Since I stopped, My BP is more reliably 90/60 range and I'm able to get blood back to my brain more quickly after positional changes like when gardening, etc. I wish it worked for me :(.