Ketogenic Diet

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Ketogenic Diet

Post by Stavia »

According to Catherine Crofts work its 83 % sensitive and 46% specific for insulin sensitivity.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Sandy57
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Sandy57 »

Jafa have you tried carb cycling?

Frank
Jafa
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Jafa »

Thanks for your replies George and Stavia. Yes I do a bit of resistant starch (if I can resist eating them when just cooked :lol:) pumpkin, parsnip, kumera (sweet potato) etc. Interesting theory about needing less sleep.

Thanks also to you Frank (again). No I had not heard of carb recycling. Will add it to my ' must investigate' list.
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

Carb cycling is a potato on a bicycle. Actually, I think it means increasing carb intake some days, reducing it on other days. Frank, please give more detailed and helpful information.

Carb recycling is composting the part of the starch you don't eat. :lol:

Sorry, I couldn't resist(ant starch)...
Slacker
E4/E4
Jafa
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Jafa »

Oh Slacker, have I opened 'Pundoras box'. Actually, thanks for pointing out my error. I would have googled carb recycling ...... and probably gotten 'composting'.
Bettylacy
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Bettylacy »

Thanks everyone for your reply's and suggestions, experiences. I always get a few chuckles too. That feels really good. SusanJ and Jafa, good to know there is a similar sized woman that needs to eat 3x/day to keep up the calories. I will check out crono meter and consider increasing fat at nite and a few more carbs in day time or will reverse and compare. Last nite slept pretty well after Thai Tom Kam soup. Maybe the extra fat made a difference? I reviewed last years postings to. Thanks for the tip. Good point on th calcium, Jafa. My mom has osteoparosis too. I get those looney tunes looks just asking about Salmon and if it is farmed or wild . And if it is farmed, what techniques were used, ie open pen or not? Eye rolls. More informationPer Sea Watch App from Monterey Bay Aquarium. George and Theresa I continue to admire your adherence to the Gundry program and regard your counsel as helpful albeit more than I can fit into my life currently...but who knows what the future holds.
Hoping for more clarification at the meet up at Lo Carb convention.
Also looking forward to time together at Dynamic Brain Conference and seeing some of you there.
APOe 3/4; If you want to go fast go alone. If you want to go far go together. African proverb. :D
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Bettylacy wrote: My mom has osteoporosis too.
At AHS16, a member of our group with osteoporosis could not attend a dinner with Gundry. She called me and asked me to ask him about taking supplemental calcium and osteoporosis. He recommended against it and also said his wife significantly improved when she got off lectins. I posted on this here.
Tincup
E3,E4
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Betty, I'm so happy that you'll be at both events. I look forward to spending time with you. I'm also small (BMI 18.5) and have slowly transitioned to only eating two meals a day. It's quite easy for me now as I'm keto-adapted with BHB ranging from 0.6-2.0 mM. Occasionally, when I'm very busy, I have problems with my weight dropping too low, but for the most part I've been able to maintain it fairly steadily.

We're all different, but I slept horribly when I was eating a LFHC diet because I was so hungry. Being in ketosis has improved the quality of sleep for me. Are you actually quantifying BHB levels? I ask as that data will help you determine the true effect of KBs on sleep quality. It's also worth noting that Dr. Bredesen has changed his fasting insulin goal to <4.5.

Here I share my experience reversing osteopenia after I dropped calcium supplementation.
Bettylacy
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Bettylacy »

SusanJ wrote:Bettylacy, I hear you.

We're about the same size, and I can only keep weight on by eating 3 times per day, starting around 10 AM and within about a 9 hour window. It's not that I'm hungry in the morning, not at all. But, if I go to eating twice a day, I can't physically eat enough food to get enough calories (even when eating an avocado or pouring EVOO on a salad to the point of almost being inedible).

I also had trouble waking, which I attribute to not having enough calories - different than not being in ketosis.

I've settled on eating 3 times, and I am trying to put a few extra % carbs mid-day and more % fat at dinner. It mostly helps, and I sleep a good 6+ hours before waking. I'm steady at about 116-117 right now. Upping the weights so I can get closer to 120, so calories are important for me right now.

Tracking food in Cron-o-meter helped me figure that out, both calorie wise, and that I was not eating enough carbs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
APOe 3/4; If you want to go fast go alone. If you want to go far go together. African proverb. :D
Bettylacy
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Bettylacy »

Sound advice SusanJ . I'm feeling a bit better after bumping up calories and sleeping better too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk