Carbs?

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
Nancy
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Carbs?

Post by Nancy »

I do break my fast for supplements quite often simply because I have a sensitive stomach. I have suffered with ulcers since I was 21. I still fast 12-15 hours per day. Sometimes I go longer, and then I just take my supplements later or skip the morning supplements.
apod
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by apod »

Juliegee wrote:I’ve mentioned before that Dr. Bredesen is very excited about whole coffee fruit concentrate (WCFC) to upregulate BDNF. It may be available very soon. After reviewing my protocol, however, he doesn’t recommend it for me.
Dave Asprey has the WCFC for sale from the actual studies (from "futureceuticals"... sounds legit, right?) He sells it for a whopping $56 bucks for 30 capsules. Interestingly, Swanson sells a "Full Spectrum Kona Coffee Berry" extract for $5.99 (actually, you can get it with 10% off) for 60 capsules. I was also looking at the bulk powder the other day from konared.com, but I'm not sure how this compares to the extracts... I was a little annoyed that they add maltodextrin as an excipient.

Lion's mane seems like an interesting way to boost immune health + BDNF. I've had the Four Sigmatic Lions Mane coffee blend and their Elixir. The taste isn't that great on either of these.

I came across this interesting paper (thinking about Longevinex brand of resveratrol which includes quercetin) :
The combination of oral quercetin supplementation and exercise prevents brain mitochondrial biogenesis: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25091043

It went on to mention "Quercetin is a pro-oxidant agent in the brain." Tricky stuff.
simonh01
Contributor
Contributor

Post by simonh01 »

I base my carbs on my workout loads. If I've just done a heavy weight lifting or HIIT workout then I'll add potatoes. If its a slow aerobic workout below my aerobic heartrate threshold I eat less carbs. Generally I'm about 100-150g. I'm a 145lb male. You might also consider testing carbs to see what works for you. There has been recent research that shows people's blood glucose response can be very different to the same foods depending on their gut makeup. Robb Wolf's latest book Wired to Eat goes over this but to test you essentially eat a 50g net carb serving of something and then test your blood glucose response after wards. He suggests at 1 and 2 hours but honestly I would at least add the 30 min mark. So far I've tested bananas, white rice and potatoes. Bananas moon shot my blood glucose in the first hour so I won't eating those anymore. I'm going to test sweet potato, lentils and some other beans. Whichever one gives me the most favorable blood glucose responses will be my carbs of choice.
Simon
ε4/ε4
Gratefuldawg
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gratefuldawg »

simonh01 wrote:I base my carbs on my workout loads. If I've just done a heavy weight lifting or HIIT workout then I'll add potatoes. If its a slow aerobic workout below my aerobic heartrate threshold I eat less carbs. Generally I'm about 100-150g. I'm a 145lb male. You might also consider testing carbs to see what works for you. There has been recent research that shows people's blood glucose response can be very different to the same foods depending on their gut makeup. Robb Wolf's latest book Wired to Eat goes over this but to test you essentially eat a 50g net carb serving of something and then test your blood glucose response after wards. He suggests at 1 and 2 hours but honestly I would at least add the 30 min mark. So far I've tested bananas, white rice and potatoes. Bananas moon shot my blood glucose in the first hour so I won't eating those anymore. I'm going to test sweet potato, lentils and some other beans. Whichever one gives me the most favorable blood glucose responses will be my carbs of choice.
Thanks! My brother bought me that book along with Amy Berger's book. At the pace I read it will take me a while to read them. I'll skip ahead on Robs book and check it out. I have been really working to get my blood work in order first and then start "adding" stuff back in. Based on cleaning up my diet I have been loosing weight too fast but this week finally seemed to level out at 2 lbs. for the week. Thanks for the help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Saskia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Saskia »

Julie G wrote: How are other folks handling the testing/supplement issue? Is anyone else breaking their fast for supps?
This topic has been on my mind and it took me a while to find a thread that discussed it. I found another thread but this one seemed most on-topic.

I try to finish dinner by 7pm and try to fast until 11am, which is a 16 hour fast. I'm wondering when it is best to take my curcumin supplement as it is recommended on an empty stomach "or with good fats". I have been taking it in the morning after my coffee, assuming the main benefit of the fast in our case is to not interact with insulin in any way, but I haven't read all the literature yet so don't want to draw precocious conclusions.

My new plan is to take the curcumin an hour before I break my fast food-wise, i.e. after 15 hours of not eating, and then ensuring that I break my fast with "good fats" which I will assume includes a meal of e.g. avocado, egg and spinach.

Am I overlooking something important? What did you decide to do Julie, since this post is from a while ago?
45 years old, E4/E4 and strangely no AD in (large) family. Mother (73 yo) E4/E4, father (87 yo) E4/E3, both symptom free. Recently started 16h fasts, taking resveratrol/B12/curcumin/krill oil/folic acid. Working on minimizing sugar & refined carbs
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Am I overlooking something important? What did you decide to do Julie, since this post is from a while ago?
I do take some of my energizing supps during my fast as I often only eat one meal a day. This is one of many risk/benefit calculations that we all have to make. I'm hoping that the very small caloric impact of my supps will interfere minimally with the benefits of my fast.