NEW blood test to predict AD

Alzheimer's, cardiovascular, and other chronic diseases; biomarkers, lifestyle, supplements, drugs, and health care.
MarcR
Mod
Mod

Re: NEW blood test to predict AD

Post by MarcR »

This is an awesome list of leads to pursue. Thanks so much for sharing, Juliegee. I would be interested in hearing more details about any connections you have made between your diet and the various metabolites and markers from the study.
Schnooks
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Schnooks »

This is all Greek to me.. I'm no scientist. I need to look up your diet
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

PLEASE, do your own homework. I'm no scientist. What I did was research each metabolite/serum level and try to discern dietary constituents that would raise/lower as needed. I am very curious and open to see to how others will interpret this.

In looking at my diet, pay less attention to my macronutrient ratios (although I think they're important as far addressing cerebral glucose hypometabolism/oxidative stress); but rather focus on the fact that I'm eating a varied omnivorous diet, rich in both plant and animal foods with an emphasis on quality lipids.
Gilgamesh
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gilgamesh »

Juliegee (in a different thread) wrote: ...and, I'm away from my notes now; but I was shocked to learn that cow's milk was an excellent source of several of the metabolites on that new test throwing further suspicions on this paper. I.HATE.THESE.CONTRADICTIONS :?
Quick break from work to say, first: yes, the contradictions stink! And they seem to be all over the place. It crazies me!

But, second: I don't think there's a contradiction here, between cowmilk substances and the new blood test study metabolites. I've only scanned the "new test" paper and you may have a better grasp of it but my understanding is that the ten substances are the products of cells breaking down. They're constituents of cells, so we may well need to consume them!

GB
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

G, I sincerely appreciate your input here. I have a sense that this new test may provide a welcome new direction In AD prevention, but untangling the clues is far above my pay grade :shock:

YES, the 10 metabolites are products of cell breakdown. I get that. They are phospholipid molecules (phosphatidlycholine & acylcarnitine species) components of the blood metablome/lipidome. Am I far off the mark in working the equation backwards... and wondering if we can increase serum levels (where indicated) by consuming foods high in phosphatidylcholine and acylcarnitine? Help me understand.
bentkat
Contributor
Contributor

interview of Howard Federof, head of bood test study

Post by bentkat »

http://www.sciencefriday.com/segment/03 ... mer-s.html

In a recent study published in Nature Medicine, researchers reported preliminary steps in the development of a blood test to predict a person’s Alzheimer’s risk by measuring 10 different lipid concentrations in the blood. Howard Federoff, a neurologist and lead author of the study, discusses the importance of a blood test for the incurable disease.
Gilgamesh
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gilgamesh »

Julie, I would say you're not far off the mark in your hypothesizing, not at all! But whether it's correct, I don't think anyone knows.... The body regulates these things pretty tightly.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Thanks for your insight, G.

Bentkat, can't wait for that podcast to be loaded! Here's another interesting commentary on the paper http://varigenome.blogspot.com/2014_03_01_archive.html
LillyBritches
Contributor
Contributor

Post by LillyBritches »

Julie, thank you SO much for posting the specifics re the markers!!! And, personally and/or particularly, I'm very happy that these:

-Proline, down-regulated
-Lysine, down-regulated
-Serotonin, down-regulated
-Taurine, down-regulated

are down-, and not up-, regulated...because I've been taking a proline/lysine supp, as well as a taurine supp, for a little while now. Also, I've been on lexapro 10 mg (for anxiety) for several years. It helps tremendously. I was also very happy to learn quasi-recently that SSRIs are now thought to be neuroprotective to some degree.

And it's very, very interesting that the results had nothing to do with e4! But you know I'm with you: no way, no how would I have that blood test. Unless, of course, a solid preventative strategy could be employed if your results, well, suck.
I'm just a oily slick in a windup world with a nervous tick.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Anybody listen to the Howard Federof interview? IMO, it was disappointingly short, but he pointed to some tantalizing clues. He surmised that the new blood test indicated a mitochondrial role in the etiology of AD...perhaps somewhat suggestive of the early glucose hypometabolism often seen decades before symptoms.

He then went on to inform of a gene that they had located that he believes will reliably be able to predict who will and won't get the disease- without the 10 metabolite blood test. This mystery gene encodes for an enzyme that Federof believes will help us to better understand the etiology of the disease. The new gene MUST be involved in lipid transport...sounds a lot like ApoE4, but the paper seems to indicate it's not. Any guesses where this is going? I could have listened to him for hours.

Lilly, yay on already taking smart supplements/medications! I used to take taurine, then stopped...re-thinking that. And, I've got to work on my MAO-A methylation defect that apparently renders all of my neurotransmitters (serotonin included) randomly high/low- can't be good. I think G and Spunky have the same issue...anybody worked on that one yet?